Biden unequivocally commits the US to defend Taiwan from Chinese attack...or not?

For decades, the notion that the US would defend Taiwan militarily in the event of an attack from Beijing was very much a "grey area" in terms of American foreign/military policy.

Biden just dispelled that ambiguity completely and while I have little doubt that the Chinese government already assumed that this was the case, to have it right out there in the open definitely cannot be pleasing them at all.

_124868744_b0bcb654-e552-4a0e-a383-b0db4
WWW.BBC.COM

The US leader warned China against invading the island, likening such a move to Russia's war in Ukraine.

US President Joe Biden has warned China is "flirting with danger" over Taiwan, and vowed to intervene militarily to protect the island if it is attacked.

Speaking in Japan, he appeared to contradict long-standing US policy in the region, although the White House insisted there had been no departure.

Mr Biden drew a parallel between Taiwan and Russia's invasion of Ukraine, prompting an angry rebuke from Beijing.

He is on his first tour of Asia as US president, visiting regional allies.

Mr Biden prefaced his remarks saying US policy toward Taiwan "has not changed". But his comments in Tokyo are the second time in recent months he has unequivocally stated the US would defend Taiwan if China attacked, in what has been seen as a change in tone.

The US has previously been vague on what it would do in such a situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

It seems like the reality of modern warfare would make it impossible for China to take Taiwan by force (assuming U.S. aid) short of razing it to the ground.

It would take the Navy weeks/months to get anywhere near Taiwan without risking the carriers. 

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Yes.  But we should also pledge to defend our allies in the region. 

Why are they our allies? 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The inertia of history. And chips. And democracy bros, I guess.

Democracy is a pretty new reason to support both Taiwan and South Korea, as both of those countries were NOT really democracies up until a few decades ago. 

• True 2

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Democracy is a pretty new reason to support both Taiwan and South Korea, as both of those countries were NOT really democracies up until a few decades ago. 

They weren't EVEN CLOSE to being democracies until the 1980s.

The RoK was ruled by an ESPECIALLY notorious right-wing dictatorship.

9 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Biggest reason?  They oppose China, who is our largest adversary in the region.  Also they are not dirty communists, like mainland China!

I don’t know that not wanting to be annexed is really opposition in any meaningful sense. Taiwan is not a counterweight for the US against China, we are the counterweight for them.

We are largely allied with Taiwan for economic reasons and we could and should change the economic reality to lessen our entanglements. If we want to support other nations for humanitarian or “liberty” reasons, let’s have that debate. But being forced into military support of another nation because we need things they make is so terribly dumb.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know that not wanting to be annexed is really opposition in any meaningful sense. Taiwan is not a counterweight for the US against China, we are the counterweight for them.

We are largely allied with Taiwan for economic reasons and we could and should change the economic reality to lessen our entanglements. If we want to support other nations for humanitarian or “liberty” reasons, let’s have that debate. But being forced into military support of another nation because we need things they make is so terribly dumb.

Bail on Taiwan and our other pacific allies will get nervous, pushing them to come to terms with China. 

• Like 2
  • Halal 1

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It's more preventing them from getting a hold of TSMC I think.

2 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Bail on Taiwan and our other pacific allies will get nervous, pushing them to come to terms with China. 

They probably should TBH. We are too politocally unstable to rely on. Though I guess Trumpism is firmly anti-China so maybe it works out.

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But why say it now? Why not leave the option open rather than confirm? This makes me a bit more concerned that planned action by China is close at hand. 

It's either they are planning on going in or Biden is stating it as a way of showing US power still matters. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

34 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

But why say it now? Why not leave the option open rather than confirm? This makes me a bit more concerned that planned action by China is close at hand. 

Probably to underscore the commitment in light of the situation in Ukraine.

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Probably to underscore the commitment in light of the situation in Ukraine.

I hear that, but I feel like, even on a tour of Asia, that the POTUS should say something like, "We will rigorously defend all allies here and aboard" and leave it at that. 

34 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I hear that, but I feel like, even on a tour of Asia, that the POTUS should say something like, "We will rigorously defend all allies here and aboard" and leave it at that. 

Biden has that gaffe machine mouth tho. 

• True 1

China has historically been isolationist to a fault. It's status as empire was as a system of tributary vassals. One (unfortunate) learning for me from the Uyghur plight is that people don't consider them 'chinese' for being muslm victims I guess. More to the point, 'China' isn't a monolithic monoculture that many see them as. Most people probably couldn't tell you the two ethnicites that promote the Han class. That and you've got all sorts to rockets aimed at them from all sides with not a friend in sight.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

This shit has to stop, Biden is President or he isn't. 

6 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

They're getting close to the ability to do it but US and Pacific allies are waking up and arming. So there is a limited window where they do it and keep allied navies away, once that window closes it gets significantly harder again. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Biden unequivocally commits the US to defend Taiwan from Chinese attack...or not?
2 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

This shit has to stop, Biden is President or he isn't. 

2048.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

President’s blunt response appears to undercut US ‘strategic ambiguity’ on Taiwan as White House forced to walk back remarks

After Biden made the remark at a joint press conference on Monday with the Japanese prime minister, Fumio Kishida, an aide said the president’s statement represented no change in the longstanding American stance to the island. A source told CNN that Biden meant providing weapons, not deploying boots on the ground.

This TOTALLY instills a sense of confidence in this administration's leadership from our allies. Totally.