nacthenud

HDR Video on Xbox One X is currently broken, fix to be patched in, in the future

The HDR picture coming from Xbox One X video apps including Netflix and 4K UHD HDR blu-rays is currently not showing the picture correctly.  Those who bought an X as a 4K blu-ray player are not currently getting what they paid for.  Microsoft has acknowledged the problem and says they will fix it.

(Side note - For those of you who don't watch Vincent's stuff regularly, he is being sarcastic when he says he loves the Power Rangers movie - he bought two copies of the movie and a few others that were the first Dolby Vision encoded 4K UHD Blu-rays in order to do a detailed comparison of Dolby Vision vs HDR-10 and had joked previously about probably being the only person on the planet two own two copies of that movie)

These were issues I was having with Xbox One on the S. I even made videos about. I don't think it ever got resolved but I also think the X also does this with games also. I was just playing Battlefront 2 and the blacks aren't as black as I thought they would be and it resembles the issues i had on the S. I tested it out with games using Hitman. I bought a copy for my PS4 Pro and i had the Xbox One version I tested out not the S. The blacks on the Pro were way more "inky" and the brights were brighter. Washed put was the term I used. Hopefully this is the patch that fixes it all. 

35 minutes ago, qwik4a6 said:

It's already been fixed. Update is out.

I'm not too worried because I have seen the Tweet from Mike Ybarra saying the fix was going to be out within days... and that was on the 12th.  I have not seen any confirmation that it has actually released yet.  Do you have a link?

38 minutes ago, number305 said:

I'm not too worried because I have seen the Tweet from Mike Ybarra saying the fix was going to be out within days... and that was on the 12th.  I have not seen any confirmation that it has actually released yet.  Do you have a link?

I got a pretty sizeable update last night... about 457 mb. Not sure what it was for. Maybe this?

So I started playing Gears of War 4 in co op with a buddy last night and man is this really a great way to show off the system. The HDR is the best I have seen standing along side Horizon: Zero Dawn and having the option to play at 4k native or 60fps (which of course I would love to have both) is cool too. I found myself playing in 1080p 60 more and the game looks gorgeous. So maybe the issues with HDR I have been having is just game dependent which sucks because GoW does it so well.

7 hours ago, The def star said:

So I started playing Gears of War 4 in co op with a buddy last night and man is this really a great way to show off the system. The HDR is the best I have seen standing along side Horizon: Zero Dawn and having the option to play at 4k native or 60fps (which of course I would love to have both) is cool too. I found myself playing in 1080p 60 more and the game looks gorgeous. So maybe the issues with HDR I have been having is just game dependent which sucks because GoW does it so well.

Gears does look stunning with the HDR and I thought Tomb Raider looked impressive too. Not as amazing as Gears but a very noticeable difference from my first go around last year. Also I recommend downloading Insects for the system. A very cool demo video that allows you to switch HDR On/Off and showing the image with and without 4K applied. The differences are amazing when trying them on and off settings and makes you appreciate this new tech. 

Now what to watch when this HDR patch goes through for us not in the preview program

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

Gears does look stunning with the HDR and I thought Tomb Raider looked impressive too. Not as amazing as Gears but a very noticeable difference from my first go around last year. Also I recommend downloading Insects for the system. A very cool demo video that allows you to switch HDR On/Off and showing the image with and without 4K applied. The differences are amazing when trying them on and off settings and makes you appreciate this new tech. 

Now what to watch when this HDR patch goes through for us not in the preview program

Have you seen the Revenant with Leonardo DeCaprio? It's a gorgeous movie in 4k HDR.