Sign in to follow this  
TwinIon

Vive Standalone announced

Screen_Shot_2017_11_14_at_16.03.36.png

HTC has announced the Vive Focus, a stand alone VR headset that will go up against the Oculus Go and their Santa Cruz product. The Focus will have 6 degree of freedom inside-out motion tracking, which should mean Rift/Vive style tracking even without external sensors or cameras. This is something that we've seen in the Santa Cruz prototype, but will not be present on the Go. Unfortunately, the controller for the Focus will only have 3 degrees of freedom, meaning that they're more like a standard motion controller than the wands of the Vive or Oculus Touch.

The focus will be powered by a Snapdragon 835, and other than that we don't really know any specs.

Personally, without a full 6DoF controller setup I'm not very excited by this. I think standalone VR could be the future of the medium, and inside-out tracking absolutely is, but compelling VR experiences desperately need precise and capable controllers. Without those, even with 6DoF tracking in the headset, I expect the Focus to be relegated to a lesser class of VR more akin to mobile VR than the PC based experiences we already have.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

I'm probably done with VR until it's totally portable and can bring in video of the outside world (a.k.a. AR).

For devices in the far future that are closer in size to normal glasses, I can see that being useful, but do you not see complete VR ever being worthwhile?

Just now, TwinIon said:

For devices in the far future that are closer in size to normal glasses, I can see that being useful, but do you not see complete VR ever being worthwhile?

I don't think VR and AR will be distinguishable once either gets to the point where they'll really be universally embraced. The worn devices will do both imo. It'll be full VR that brings in a digital, optimized version of the outside world.

I feel the future of vr are the stand alone systems. I will tell you one thing though, unless the games get a shit ton better, vr is not the future of gaming. It is amazing while you are playing but the games are nothing but cool tech demos right now. There are only a few full fledged games and most of them aren't that good.

16 minutes ago, noey jerd said:

I feel the future of vr are the stand alone systems. I will tell you one thing though, unless the games get a shit ton better, vr is not the future of gaming. It is amazing while you are playing but the games are nothing but cool tech demos right now. There are only a few full fledged games and most of them aren't that good.

The future is going to take some time to get here, I'm only interested in playing PC or Console games and I don't want standalone because standalone means they are using an OS like Android and it will be limited to phone games for the most part.

The trick really is finding games that can be converted easily and will work well, it's tricky..  racing games / flight sims are the first to translate as you are sitting in a seat and it works (there are quite a few racing games with VR support already).  It's just going to take a team with the balls to make a full fast paced shooter and see how many people get sick.

What they need is to find a way to make a game that won't make people sick!

and who knows... it'll be the future so there probably will be a better OS other than android for standalone by then.

and you are right.. There is something great about using a wheel while in VR playing project cars 2.

Sign in to follow this