GuyWhoPostsThings

The Game Awards announces their nominees for all categories

http://thegameawards.com/awards/

The rest are all in the link (there are more categories), but here are some of the big ones.

Best Game Direction:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Super Mario Odyssey

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Wolfenstein II

Best Narrative:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Horizon Zero Dawn

NieR: Automata

What Remains of Edith Finch

Wolfenstein II

Best Art Direction:

Cuphead

Destiny 2

Horizon Zero Dawn

Persona 5

Best Score/Music:

Cuphead

Destiny 2

NieR: Automata

Super Mario Odyssey

Best Audio Design:

Destiny 2

Super Mario Odyssey

Best Performance:

Ashly Burch, Horizon: Zero Dawn (As Aloy)

Brian Bloom, Wolfenstein II (as BJ Blazkowicz)

Claudia Black, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (as Chloe Frazer)

Laura Bailey, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (as Nadine Ross)

Melina Juergens, Hellblade (as Senua)

Best VR/AR Game:

Farpoint

Lone Echo / Echo Arena

Star Trek: Bridge Crew

Superhot VR

Best Action Game:

Cuphead

Destiny 2

Nioh

Prey

Wolfenstein 2

Best Action/Adventure Game:

Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Horizon Zero Dawn

Super Mario Odyssey

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Best Role Playing Game:

Divinity: Original Sin 2

Final Fantasy XV

Nier: Automata

Persona 5

South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Best Fighting Game:

ARMS

Injustice 2

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

Nidhogg 2

Tekken 7

Best Family Game:

Sonic Mania

Splatoon 2

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Super Mario Odyssey

Most Anticipated Game:

God of War

Monster Hunter: World

Red Dead Redemption

Spider-Man

The Last of Us Part II

Best Independent Game:

Cuphead

Golf Story

Night in the woods

Pyre

GOTY:

Horizon Zero Dawn

Persona 5

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Super Mario Odyssey

9 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Divinity: Original Sin II not being among the GotY nominees is an injustice!

I dunno.

Only because the quality this year was so high that I feel like something big was bound to miss it, not because I don't think the game looks good.

4 minutes ago, ByWatterson said:

I thought Final Fantasy XV came out last year.  Did it miss the cutoff for 2016?

Also, notice the degree to which exclusives for Sony and Nintendo are crushing it.  

That must be it for the game.

Also, remember that you can vote once a day until about a week into December. I cast my votes and put Spider-Man for most anticipated.

Is this the next iteration of the SpikeTV's VGAs?

I assume the award ceremony is 2/3 trailers, 1/3 awards?

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Divinity: Original Sin II not being among the GotY nominees is an injustice!

Agreed!  But, with all the great games in 2017 -- what would you drop off the list?

3 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Is this the next iteration of the SpikeTV's VGAs?

I assume the award ceremony is 2/3 trailers, 1/3 awards?

Agreed!  But, with all the great games in 2017 -- what would you drop off the list?

I'd do PUBG, only because I don't think it's fully releasing until late in December, and judging by the games nominated, like FFXV in another category, the cut-off would be before its full release. I feel like PUBG would get nominated twice based on this since it's in early access right now.

But I might be wrong with its release.

Just now, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

I'd do PUBG, only because I don't think it's fully releasing until late in December, and judging by the games nominated, like FFXV in another category, the cut-off would be before its full release. I feel like PUBG would get nominated twice based on this since it's in early access right now.

But I might be wrong with its release.

As long as the game is available for public consumption before Nov. 17, it's eligible for the reward.

Just now, mikechorney said:

As long as the game is available for public consumption before Nov. 17, it's eligible for the reward.

Then I can only assume that it won't be eligible next year since this year was the nomination.

I have to think about the games I've played, but Sonic Mania is way up there for me along with Horizon, Uncharted: TLL and Persona 5. But there's soooooo much I haven't played that I don't think I can do a proper GOTY for this year until late next year. :P

There are two best action games categories which is confusing as fuck. I honestly can't tell the reason that differentiates the two. 

PUBG is a GOTY nominee but has no sub-category nominee. 

Best family game should just be named Best Switch Game.

What a mess. Who put this abomination of a list together?

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

PUBG shouldn't be in contention this year because it will not be "released" until December.

I personally like Giant Bomb's rules, where it requires a "release"...  but, according to their rules...

Are early access games eligible for The Game Awards?

Yes, any games available for public consumption by the deadline are eligible for potential nomination. It’s up to the jury to decide if a title warrants nomination for creative and/or technical excellence in any given year.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

“Most anticipated game”? The heck is that crap?

I guess you also can't be most anticipated if you release between November 17th and December 7th.

31 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Horizon doesn't even come close to belonging on the list, so that.

Divinity 2 is 10x the game Horizon will ever be. I've said it's just a fancied-up Ubisoft open-world game, but even AC: Origins proved to make a bunch of great changes that elevate parts of it above the dreadfully dull Horizon. Hell, I'd put Wolfenstein on that list over Horizon. Or even Persona 5, which was somewhat disappointing in a year where sequels were crushing it. Poor translation, style over substance in a lot of cases, just wasn't feeling it, and I loved the hell out of 3 and 4.

Hell, I'd personally rather see something unexpected like Night in the Woods on the list. Or Resident Evil 7, which I beat like 4 times.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

I guess you also can't be most anticipated if you release between November 17th and December 7th.

You are eligible.  But I can't think of any game that releases in that timeframe that would knock any of the nominated games off the list!  :surprise::D

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Horizon doesn't even come close to belonging on the list, so that.

Divinity 2 is 10x the game Horizon will ever be. I've said it's just a fancied-up Ubisoft open-world game, but even AC: Origins proved to make a bunch of great changes that elevate parts of it above the dreadfully dull Horizon. Hell, I'd put Wolfenstein on that list over Horizon. Or even Persona 5, which was somewhat disappointing in a year where sequels were crushing it. Poor translation, style over substance in a lot of cases, just wasn't feeling it.

Hell, I'd personally rather see something unexpected like Night in the Woods on the list. Or Resident Evil 7, which I beat like 4 times.

I haven't played Wolfenstein 2 or AC: Origines yet (and have no interest in Persona 5).  However, based on my tastes,H:ZD  is one of the best games I have played in years....

2 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

You are eligible.  But I can't think of any game that releases in that timeframe that would knock any of the nominated games off the list!  :surprise::D

DEAD RISING 4 FOR THE PS4!

I kid. Spidey's been my most anticipated for a while, basically since Horizon released and that stopped being my most anticipated.

5 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

"Title must be announced and scheduled for release after December 7, 2017."

I'm clearly just bitter about their rules excluding a potentially amazing game, releasing this year, in every category.

... And I could see more people anticipating Xenoblade 2 than Monster Hunter World in the West.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm clearly just bitter about their rules excluding a potentially amazing game in every category.

... And I could see more people anticipating Xenoblade 2 than Monster Hunter World in the West.

I'm certainly anticipating Monster Hunter more than Xenoblade. :P

I don't know who runs these awards but I'm pleased to see that What Remains of Edith Finch and Night in the Woods are nominated in their appropriate categories. 

This must've been a shitty year for soundtracks since I'm pretty sure Zelda didn't have music in it. Meanwhile, Night in the Woods had some real nice tracks that range nicely from funky to comfy.