Sign in to follow this  
GuyWhoPostsThings

I'm really liking Persona 5. Let's talk about it!

BCJxgZk.png

zVZn78f.png

5EdQDdx.png

I'm over 40 hours into the game and put many hours into it this past weekend. It took a little while to get going, but now I'm totally into the flow of the game. This is my first Persona game, so some of these elements that are different for me (compared to other games) are likely series staples.

I'm totally digging the flow of the game. The way it works is you're "Phantom Thieves" set to steal villainous hearts and reform them. There's a bigger story behind all of it, of course. You have to infiltrate a palace that represents this person's distorted hearts, and you have a time limit during in-game days to do so before something terrible happens to the team. I normally try to infiltrate palaces as quickly as possible and then use the rest of the days to work on my guts, charm, knowledge, etc., and build relations with others to get perks for battles. There are lots of side things to do, though it's mostly relation-building (but it's pretty fun relation-building, imo).

Learning the gameplay mechanics is really rewarding. Most of the time, you're not trying to beat an enemy as much as you're trying to make them submit. It's easier to do when you find and know their weak points. Then you can negotiate to get items or money from them, or you can take them as a Persona to utilize their moveset. And you can merge Personas to make stronger ones. It's not like Pokemon in that aspect; it's more each Persona will allow your character to perform a different set of moves and will give your character a different set of weak points and resistances. So if I'm fighting an enemy that unleashes lightning attacks, I may have a Persona who is strong against lightning and decide to utilize it for the fight.

I feel nowhere close to completion with this game, but since it's so fun, I don't care. I want it to go on.

Some observations (some light spoilers about how characters act but nothing major):

1) Morgana is my favorite character, bar none. I have a cat, and he likes to cuddle as I play, so I quite enjoy seeing Morgana hanging around your main character all the time while my own cat watches. :P There's a backstory to Morgana where -- early game backstory spoilers --

Spoiler

he wants to know his past and see if he was human. I still think Morgana's actually a girl, though, but we'll see!

One of my favorite moments with Morgana is when I go to work at the Beef Bowl Shop and Morgana is hyperventilating about what I have to do. There's something about Japanese developers and their ability to have a standard speaking animation look so funny and endearing.

hL0wS1t.png

2) I've warmed up to Skull. At first, he just seemed very angry about a certain character in the game, and it was grating to me, but now I actually dig him and his more relaxed sense of humor. The other characters you get are cool, too, but I won't go into them since you get them later in the game.

3) While the premise of the game is out there, what you do in your spare time is more grounded than I'm used to in RPGs since you're not really using your battle powers in side missions as much as you are trying to improve your stats and build relationships with other characters. I do like them a lot, though don't expect to do anything in-depth in the side quests as far as gameplay goes.

4) There is Mementos, which is an area where you can fight and get items/money and do side quests there, however. That's its own thing and I do enjoy it, but it's definitely best to do it when you have several targets you can hit at once since it'll eat up an afternoon, and you only have so much time to do things.

So yeah, another great game in a year filled with great games. Game developers should be very proud of what they've contributed this year.

I love this game.  So fun.  I'm at end-game but don't really wanna beat it and have it end (because I know I won't do a second playthrough).  I'm currently in "gotta catch 'em all" mode with Personas, just trying to catch/fuse the whole catalog that I can.

Oh and pro-tip:

Spoiler

If you wanna save a ton of time over the course of the game, bang your teacher.

55 minutes ago, Slug said:

I love this game.  So fun.  I'm at end-game but don't really wanna beat it and have it end (because I know I won't do a second playthrough).  I'm currently in "gotta catch 'em all" mode with Personas, just trying to catch/fuse the whole catalog that I can.

Oh and pro-tip:

Hide contents

If you wanna save a ton of time over the course of the game, bang your teacher.

Spoiler

I've been focusing on her a lot due to the time-saving stuff. Her and the doctor since she gives GREAT stuff, like the SP ring which made life way easier for me on the third palace.

Mikami(?) gives extra EXP, which I also love.

So yeah, those are my main three!

This game just came out at a bad time for me. I only played a few hours of it at launch, then wasn't able to play it for a few months and I've had a hard time getting back into it. I really adored Persona 4 Golden, so I was excited for 5, but I actually ended up playing way more Final Fantasy XII this year.

I think I've played 12 hours and on the road to the second Palace. I really like it, but it's hard to find enough time to play it for a decent whack, so I already sort of know I'll never finish it.I'll give it a good ol' go though!

I was enthralled by it initially, then fell off hard. I'm probably about halfway...it's on my list to get back to. 

There's just almost TOO many systems, and I am always suspicious I am not doing things correctly. 

13 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I was enthralled by it initially, then fell off hard. I'm probably about halfway...it's on my list to get back to. 

There's just almost TOO many systems, and I am always suspicious I am not doing things correctly. 

I don't think you should be suspicious; while there's plenty to do, I haven't encountered a situation where I'm in danger of permanently screwing myself over, and I'm new to the series.

I also don't find it overwhelming, though it felt like there was a lot initially until I got used to the gameplay flow. Maybe I can help you out when you get back to it.

21 minutes ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

I don't think you should be suspicious; while there's plenty to do, I haven't encountered a situation where I'm in danger of permanently screwing myself over, and I'm new to the series.

I also don't find it overwhelming, though it felt like there was a lot initially until I got used to the gameplay flow. Maybe I can help you out when you get back to it.

It’s not that I get stuck in terms of progressing, but I have several characters I wanna see their stories play out, and I’m afraid I’m spreading myself too thin in that department if that makes sense.  

Just now, Paperclyp said:

It’s not that I get stuck in terms of progressing, but I have several characters I wanna see their stories play out, and I’m afraid I’m spreading myself too thin in that department if that makes sense.  

You mean that you'll run out of time to do it?

7 minutes ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

You mean that you'll run out of time to do it?

Yeah sort of. Like there’s only so much time in between dungeons, and you have to use it pretty efficiently to get whatever stat is necessary to progress the story with the non-party members. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

Yeah sort of. Like there’s only so much time in between dungeons, and you have to use it pretty efficiently to get whatever stat is necessary to progress the story with the non-party members. 

Ah! I don't know how the endgame works and whether or not there's a time limit then, but throughout the game, just don't overthink it. There are some people who I liked bonding with because they had promising perks in their initial levels, so I spent time opening up their stories, and at the end of the day, I don't think you can really screw yourself over. Some things may be harder, I'm sure, but part of the fun is figuring out how to budget your time and find ways to save time. So don't overwhelm yourself and just go with what feels right based on what you know. :)

Maybe my favorite single player game ever. I have over 170 hours booked iirc and am on the last? dungeon.

Side note: you won't be able to max all your relationships unless you do a second play through, so focus on the ones you like the best until they're done imo. Also,

If you fuck/start a relationship with more than one girl, they'll eventually all find out about it and leave you (but you keep the level and perks), or so I hear.

1 hour ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

I didn't think that would be a spoiler for both games or the end game, so I clicked. I feel that was probably a mistake. @Massdriver

You feel clicking the spoiler was a mistake or me marking it as a spoiler was a mistake? It's not much of a spoiler, but I am always cautious when talking about the ending of a game, TV show, or movie.

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

You feel clicking the spoiler was a mistake or me marking it as a spoiler was a mistake? It's not much of a spoiler, but I am always cautious when talking about the ending of a game, TV show, or movie.

Clicking. :P 

I mean, there wasn't anything specific, but my brain started to think of how that'll play out as a story. 

I get it :P

Yeah it isn't really a spoiler. You'll see what I mean when you finish it. It's just sad to leave the game behind. However, I'm enjoying Witcher 3 Blood and Wine a lot, so no real complaints!

More importantly, I still haven't played Persona 3, but I bought it on the PS3. I intend to jump in at some point, but I would really like Persona to come to PC or even the Switch so it's more portable (I don't have a PS Portable).

11 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I get it :P

Yeah it isn't really a spoiler. You'll see what I mean when you finish it. It's just sad to leave the game behind. However, I'm enjoying Witcher 3 Blood and Wine a lot, so no real complaints!

More importantly, I still haven't played Persona 3, but I bought it on the PS3. I intend to jump in at some point, but I would really like Persona to come to PC or even the Switch so it's more portable (I don't have a PS Portable).

Persona 3 is also on the Vita already and you can get it on sale for very cheap. 

edit: Somehow I missed that last part in parentheses but I'll add I think it's worth getting a Vita for P4G alone, esp since the Vita is older and you can prob get one very cheap).

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

If you beat dungeons in one go and visit Mementos with multiple quests, you will have plenty of time. The Fortune confidant has a great perk that helps with relationships too. 

That reminds me that I have enough money to buy that 100,000 yen thing that she has.

1 hour ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

That reminds me that I have enough money to buy that 100,000 yen thing that she has.

:lol:

5 minutes ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

Wait, what's so funny? :lol:

Oh nothing, nothing.  This thread is just giving me fond memories. :P

On 11/14/2017 at 7:34 AM, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

Ah! I don't know how the endgame works and whether or not there's a time limit then, but throughout the game, just don't overthink it. There are some people who I liked bonding with because they had promising perks in their initial levels, so I spent time opening up their stories, and at the end of the day, I don't think you can really screw yourself over. Some things may be harder, I'm sure, but part of the fun is figuring out how to budget your time and find ways to save time. So don't overwhelm yourself and just go with what feels right based on what you know. :)

Yeah like I’m not worried about progressing through the game itself. I’m not sure how many relationships I can pursue to see their entire scope, or necessarily which activities I need to do to get my traits high enough to see their stories through. 

Like part of it is a me problem, but I feel like the game should be a little more transparent about some of that stuff. It has me shook on what to do a lot of the time. 

Don't really worry about maxing all the relationships because you can start over and it saves your relationship progress so you'll be able to see all the storylines one way or another.