SFLUFAN

Star Wars: Battlefront II - EA tactically withdraws, temporarily removes ability to purchase "Crystals" with real money

Remember games like Quake III or Unreal Tournament where everyone had the same abilities and weapons and all that mattered was your skill?

From what I read elsewhere, it'll take around 40 hours to unlock a new hero/villain unless you get lucky with loot boxes. Also, despite EA talking about skills etc from loot boxes being locked behind levels, you can still equip them, so you're going to be at a disadvantage vs people that buy loot boxes. 

Summary: Fuck this game. 

7 hours ago, Scape Zero said:

Yeah, stopped reading after "I feel under powered compared to my fully kitted opponents".

No, not having 20 HP after a kill isn't why you are dying.

But maybe not being literally invincible when using his rocket barrage + jetpacks might be!

Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Boba-Fett.png

Shit-tier trash. No excuse, no defense. Don't support games where a Saudi Prince will have a literal gameplay advantage over you by spending money.

11 hours ago, Reputator said:

Remember games like Quake III or Unreal Tournament where everyone had the same abilities and weapons and all that mattered was your skill?

You can play several recent games like that right now if that’s your bag. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

You can play several recent games like that right now if that’s your bag. 

Oh I know. :P

But this is an inescapable sign of the times.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Oh I know. :P

But this is an inescapable sign of the times.

Yeah I know. 

I feel like it’ll level out though. A few games do a great job with loot boxes, and then the overzealous idiots in charge of EA come in and way misunderstand the system, take advantage, there’s pushback, eventual correction, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah I know. 

I feel like it’ll level out though. A few games do a great job with loot boxes, and then the overzealous idiots in charge of EA come in and way misunderstand the system, take advantage, there’s pushback, eventual correction, etc. 

I feel like we're frogs in slowly boiling water though. Things that used to not be OK, like always online connections for games and stuff is just sort of tolerated now.

16 minutes ago, projectmayhem said:

"a great job with loot boxes" 

to5VL99nFp0S7Vf-vhrDysfSoLYOa2yXGVfJJtKx

Overwatch is a good example. All cosmetic. Game gives all maps to every player. DOTA is similar. Games do it in ways that do not compromise the game itself. 

20 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I feel like we're frogs in slowly boiling water though. Things that used to not be OK, like always online connections for games and stuff is just sort of tolerated now.

I think we've forfeited some things we used to take for granted, but have gotten improvements on games as well. What is acceptable changes over time - like there are some games that really do not justify always online connections, but some games don't really have a purpose if they're not online, and you kind of know that going in. In years past, it was less acceptable in part because connections were not as good, the ecosystems were not as optimized for such a thing, and a lot of people probably did not have access to internet all of the time. 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

But maybe not being literally invincible when using his rocket barrage + jetpacks might be!

Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-Boba-Fett.png

Shit-tier trash. No excuse, no defense. Don't support games where a Saudi Prince will have a literal gameplay advantage over you by spending money.

You can't buy invincibility. You can't fully upgrade them if you don't have the levels. By the time you can fully upgrade it, you will have that card without having to spend money.

This overaction needs to stop. Most the cards are the most minor of boosts, and something everyone will get. Fuck this is like saying MMOs are pay to win cause jump potions exist. PLD in FFXIV have the ability to go invincible for a second, you can buy a jump potion, is FFXIV shit tier trash too?

I can't use my invincibility potion against other players in FFXIV. But that's neither here nor there.

You can't "fully upgrade" them, but getting the levels is the easy part. Playing the game to get to the required level to max out your cards is nowhere fucking NEAR the time it takes to grind out the currency to actually get the cards.

Also, don't forget about your rank, which is determined by how many cards you have for that class! More cards = higher levels, can't possibly go wrong!

This is a competitive advantage in a multiplayer game that you can buy with real money. It's bullshit. Don't defend it.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Overwatch is a good example. All cosmetic. Game gives all maps to every player. DOTA is similar. Games do it in ways that do not compromise the game itself. 

No. There is no good example when it comes to Loot boxes. Loot boxes fucking suck. At least if I by a pack of cards I will get a nice foil. 

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

No. There is no good example when it comes to Loot boxes. Loot boxes fucking suck. At least if I by a pack of cards I will get a nice foil. 

So you agree that DOTA is a good example of lootboxes?

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

I can't use my invincibility potion against other players in FFXIV. But that's neither here nor there.

You can't "fully upgrade" them, but getting the levels is the easy part. Playing the game to get to the required level to max out your cards is nowhere fucking NEAR the time it takes to grind out the currency to actually get the cards.

Also, don't forget about your rank, which is determined by how many cards you have for that class! More cards = higher levels, can't possibly go wrong!

This is a competitive advantage in a multiplayer game that you can buy with real money. It's bullshit. Don't defend it.

Okay, and when it turns out to be another non-issue like every other loot crate everyone has been saying would totally ruin a game?

Yeah, I'm fine with people spending all their money to get a fully upgraded 40 HP on a kill. They are why we get free DLC, and I still get all the same shit they do.

:lol: I get free DLC, and all it cost was the integrity of the entire point of the fucking game.

I got 0 health from killing someone, and he gets 40 because he bought a bunch of boxes on day 1. But hey, that's not a big deal. Balance is dumb anyway.

Jesus, dude. I can KIND of see this defense for single-player games, but a multiplayer shooter? No fucking way. Not for one second.

57 minutes ago, Bacon said:

What is wrong with Overwatch’s loot boxes? They’re completely inconsequential. Fucking suck is a a strong stance to take on a thing that amounts to a pretty hat. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

What is wrong with Overwatch’s loot boxes? They’re completely inconsequential. Fucking suck is a a strong stance to take on a thing that amounts to a pretty hat. 

Because I want the purple pretty hat. But no way in hell am I paying XX dollars for a CHANCE to get the hat I want. I don't want the stupid pink penis hat, I don't want the lame ass Fez or propeller hat, I want the fucking purple pretty hat. 

8 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Because I want the purple pretty hat. But no way in hell am I paying XX dollars for a CHANCE to get the hat I want. I don't want the stupid pink penis hat, I don't want the lame ass Fez or propeller hat, I want the fucking purple pretty hat. 

So don’t pay the money and earn it in the game.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

So don’t pay the money and earn it in the game.

Except then I also don't get it because it is still luck based and it never fucking drops. You don't earn shit. It is like being paid in lottery tickets. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Except then I also don't get it because it is still luck based and it never fucking drops. You don't earn shit. It is like being paid in lottery tickets. 

It is chance, but you can trade in your other stuff to unlock the specific one you want. You’re exaggerating the difficulty of getting a specific item. If there was one specific item you wanted, it’s not hard to get it in overwatch.

Other games lock cosmetics behind menial tasks or other arbitrary challenges. If you play overwatch, you’ll get the item you want. It’s a good system. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It is chance, but you can trade in your other stuff to unlock the specific one you want. You’re exaggerating the difficulty of getting a specific item. If there was one specific item you wanted, it’s not hard to get it in overwatch.

No I am not. I only got fucking torb's skin. I didn't want that PoS skin. I don't get shit for gold since the update the rid of dupes. Maybe you just have good luck. I don't. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

No I am not. I only got fucking torb's skin. I didn't want that PoS skin. I don't get shit for gold since the update the rid of dupes. Maybe you just have good luck. I don't. 

You don’t have other items you can trade?

Just now, Bacon said:

Huh?

Is there no system at all where you can cash in items for gold? Or earn gold? I was able to buy the stuff I wanted, but it has been a while since I have played. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Is there no system at all where you can cash in items for gold? Or earn gold?

Not at all. You either get credits(gold) as a drop or if you get a dupe. 500 credits is the highest amount you can get from one credit drop. Legendary event skins cost 3k credits.

Rare credit drop = 50

Epic credit drop = 150

Legendary credit drop = 500

Common dupes = 5 credits

Rare dupes = 15

Epic dupes = 50

Legendary dubes = 200

Credit drops are more frequent than actual skins, but still pretty fuckin rare so it is hard to amass a lot of credits unless you play all the time. 

38 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

:lol: I get free DLC, and all it cost was the integrity of the entire point of the fucking game.

I got 0 health from killing someone, and he gets 40 because he bought a bunch of boxes on day 1. But hey, that's not a big deal. Balance is dumb anyway.

Jesus, dude. I can KIND of see this defense for single-player games, but a multiplayer shooter? No fucking way. Not for one second.

You are acting like buying them is the only way to get them. Also, again, you can't upgrade them without leveling. Also also, 40 HP ain't shit. Did you even play the beta?

Even the guy in the article who thinks they give regular troops actual power says he was getting shit loads of them.

Cause I'm not getting my panties all twisted up over insignificant upgrades everyone is getting either way. There's only like one from the beta that was actual somewhat useful, and that was the Boba card. If someone wants to dump all their money into things that will not help them, by all means, let them. They aren't getting armor that makes them take less damage. They aren't getting ammo that does more damage. They are getting half a bullets worth of HP after a kill. Big deal.

These loot crates will be just like bright engrams. Easily earned, and contain mostly shit you don't even care about. Every now and then you'll get an emote and be hype, but mostly just a card that makes no difference, or a side grade that takes away your most important skill and replaces it with something stupid.