Sign in to follow this  
sblfilms

Solo: A Star Wars Story

On 10/17/2017 at 7:09 PM, -Chris said:

No shit. :P

On 10/18/2017 at 3:10 AM, johnny said:

read the bolded and immediately thought of uncharted. 

It's like you wrote that last sentence for me!!

It was!

On 10/18/2017 at 7:23 AM, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

I actually talked to Cayce on this board briefly about the end of Rogue One. The ending going into ANH makes perfect sense, and the beginning of ANH is even better because of it. 

You never really see Vader as pissed as he is at the beginning of ANH. A lot of it is internalized, like when he force chokes people in Empire Strikes Back and says things like, "Apology accepted, Captain Needa." But at the beginning of ANH, he's barking out orders, "TEAR THIS SHIP APART UNTIL YOU'VE FOUND THOSE PLANS, AND BRING ME THE PASSENGERS! I WANT THEM ALIVE!" "You are part of the Rebel Alliance and a traitor. TAKE HER AWAY!"

I never really got why, for that one moment, he was more pissed than he's ever been the whole trilogy, but considering he missed Tantive IV by seconds, and then they tried to bullshit him about being on a diplomatic mission, of course he's more pissed at the beginning of ANH than the rest of the movie and trilogy. The ending makes the beginning of ANH even better.

Eh, I disagree. I think it comes off as disjointed and nonsensical. The stuff the trooper and Leia say don’t make sense. Before RO their denial was plausible from the perspective of the audience and the Empire. After RO it’s like they got pulled over after a high speed chase and told the cop “hey, I just got here man.” It’s fucking dumb. Vader’s anger makes sense, his actions do not.

Why does Vader even want them alive? He just slaughtered what, a dozen of them? Two? Who fucking cares, kill them all. Or better yet, blow up the fucking boat and make sure the plans are obliterated. They JUST left a battle where the Empire destroyed a shitload of Rebel ships, they obviously don’t care about a body count.

This makes the whole “hey we just dissolved the Senate, thank GOODNESS that’s over” line make no sense. The Empire just nuked two planets and got into a huge fight with the Rebel fleet... how much could they have actually cared about that?

RO is an awesome movie that mucks up a bunch of ANH in the interest of settling one age-old nerd fight about an exhaust port.

39 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

No shit. :P

It was!

Eh, I disagree. I think it comes off as disjointed and nonsensical. The stuff the trooper and Leia say don’t make sense. Before RO their denial was plausible from the perspective of the audience and the Empire. After RO it’s like they got pulled over after a high speed chase and told the cop “hey, I just got here man.” It’s fucking dumb. Vader’s anger makes sense, his actions do not.

Why does Vader even want them alive? He just slaughtered what, a dozen of them? Two? Who fucking cares, kill them all. Or better yet, blow up the fucking boat and make sure the plans are obliterated. They JUST left a battle where the Empire destroyed a shitload of Rebel ships, they obviously don’t care about a body count.

This makes the whole “hey we just dissolved the Senate, thank GOODNESS that’s over” line make no sense. The Empire just nuked two planets and got into a huge fight with the Rebel fleet... how much could they have actually cared about that?

RO is an awesome movie that mucks up a bunch of ANH in the interest of settling one age-old nerd fight about an exhaust port.

All have easy answers:

1) They go to warp at the end of Rogue One. It's not like they were chasing them right away. A good 30 minutes pass in between movies.

2) He wants them alive so he can interrogate them. He kills a guy at the beginning of ANH, anyway, so if that line doesn't make sense, it didn't make sense from the beginning. They interrogate Leia for information on the Rebel base. When she lies, they schedule her execution. It all lines up and makes sense, and it's not even complex either.

3) The Senate can still get in the way. If I were them, I'd rather have an actual Empire than a Senate that exists within it.

It keeps everything sensible and logical and also settles the fight of such a weird weakness in the Death Star. Awesome.

2 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

1) They go to warp at the end of Rogue One. It's not like they were chasing them right away. A good 30 minutes pass in between movies.

2) He wants them alive so he can interrogate them. He kills a guy at the beginning of ANH, anyway, so if that line doesn't make sense, it didn't make sense from the beginning. They interrogate Leia for information on the Rebel base. When she lies, they schedule her execution. It all lines up and makes sense, and it's not even complex either.

3) The Senate can still get in the way. If I were them, I'd rather have an actual Empire than a Senate that exists within it.

It keeps everything sensible and logical and also settles the fight of such a weird weakness in the Death Star. Awesome.

1) This is more ticky tack than all of the nonsense that I listed. :P 30 minutes isn't a meaningful amount of time for Leia to try and convince Vader that he didn't just see her run away. It makes her "diplomatic mission" line REALLY dumb (they were just engaged in a battle), and it makes Vader's response to Leia and the mook he chokes out equivalently stupid. "If this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador" is a dumb thing for him to say in favor of "you were just launched from a ship over Scarif and we tracked you here." You also have to ignore the fact that if Leia was en route Tatooine to recruit Obi-Wan, she has no business getting on a ship that's sent to a battle where she can contribute little and could have easily died. In fact, that would probably be the BEST time to go to Tatooine, since the Empire is tied up. If she had an inkling that Obi-Wan was critical to the Rebel plans, Tantive IV has absolutely shouldn't be jumping there from a battle with the Imperial fleet. She's there because it's a sweet cameo and it's a fanservice setup for ANH... not because it makes a lick of sense. Because it doesn't.

2) Holding the ship and its crew only makes sense if you ignore the fact that Tantive IV came from a battle during which the Empire absolutely would have obliterated it if given the chance. What changed in the 30 minutes between RO and ANH to pivot from trying to destroy as many Rebel ships as possible to interrogating them? Nothing. They knew the plans were on the ship, they apparently thought they couldn't have beamed the plans anywhere (again, lol, this wasn't an issue before RO made it one), just blow up the ship and the plans are safe. The Empire lets an escape pod rip because there were no life forms on it! This is idiotic if they're approaching that situation like they should have coming away from Scarif, NOTHING should have been let off that ship, life forms or no. It's almost like RO is a retcon, or something. :P

3) Same here. How concerned could the Empire have been with the Senate if they were hyperspace jumping the Death Star all over the galaxy and nuking planets? In ANH it's contained... they dunk Alderaan once there's no Senate to oppose them. In RO they clearly don't give a fuck at all, this doesn't even come up.

It doesn't keep things sensible without engaging in mental gymnastics, it solves a "problem" that never needed to be solved, and it creates more problems in the attempt. RO and ANH are both rad. They make little sense when combined. I am totally fine with all of this.

EDIT - why am I bothering to discuss Star Wars with you at all??? "Go to warp"? Get your shit together. :P

18 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

sup homies

1) If they warped away (I'm Star Trekking your ass) -- which they did -- then that's plenty of time. It's not as if they were chasing them for 30 minutes then went, "Nah, you weren't chasing me." They were out of sight. Vader saying that line is fine; he clearly doesn't believe them. He's angry and inpatient, and the switch from missing them within seconds to the angriest Vader we see at the beginning of ANH makes more sense and doesn't seem like a strangely out of character Vader.

2) Letting the ship with no lifeforms get away wasn't a smart move to begin with; RO didn't make it a bad move later. Also remember that Vader didn't try to just destroy the ship in Rogue One. He's on his way for the physical plans at the end of RO and then at the beginning of ANH. Perfectly consistent. 

3) You don't remember ANH very well, eh? :P Tarkin comes in after the Imperial officer says, "The rebellion will continue to gain support in the Senate." Without the Senate to support them, the Empire controls everything via the regional governors. The Senate was there to keep systems in line prior to that, but now the Senate is no longer a concern. As far as the Death Star goes, it was brought up when the guy who has no faith said the battlestation is now the ultimate power in the universe. And hey, due to two planets blowing up, he has a point. That makes even more sense now, whoa!

Everything continues to be sensible except your posts. :\

I think you're just adding shit you didn't think of because you can never admit you haven't found the magical plot holes you always think you do. :P Trying to find plot holes and then elaborate on them is the, "I'm smarter than the movie director," nonsense that makes talking movies online lame, and is even lamer when they're not plot holes. :thumbsdown:

4 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

I think you're just adding shit you didn't think of because you can never admit you haven't found the magical plot holes you always think you do. :P Trying to find plot holes and then elaborate on them is the, "I'm smarter than the movie director," nonsense that makes talking movies online lame, and is even lamer when they're not plot holes. :thumbsdown:

I don't care about plot holes and I don't think I'm smarter than movie directors. I feel like I've been... really clear about this generally and in this case specifically. None of the stuff I mentioned affects my enjoyment of these movies at all, and everything I've pointed out is complete fanboy wank nonsense. Other than RO being an unnecessary retcon, which it is. But I don't care, because it's great.

I like talking about them because I think it's fun. The only time I "care" is when they damage the story that's being told or compromise a character, none of which happens in a meaningful way between these two movies. I don't expect RO and ANH to fit together perfectly... they're separate stories written decades apart. They do as good a job as can be expected.

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't care about plot holes and I don't think I'm smarter than movie directors. I feel like I've been... really clear about this generally and in this case specifically. None of the stuff I mentioned affects my enjoyment of these movies at all, and everything I've pointed out is complete fanboy wank nonsense. Other than RO being an unnecessary retcon, which it is. But I don't care, because it's great.

I like talking about them because I think it's fun. The only time I "care" is when they damage the story that's being told or compromise a character, none of which happens in a meaningful way between these two movies. I don't expect RO and ANH to fit together perfectly... they're separate stories written decades apart. They do as good a job as can be expected.

So tell us what you really feel........ about the PT :P 

I don't think it's crazy to be skeptical about this movie. I guarantee you that Disney is nervous as hell about how this is going to turn out.

Rogue One is a really weird movie.  I enjoyed it, probably more than Force Awakens, but it feels like the skeleton of movie with a bunch of random crap shoved in it with no real care or skill.  You get the whole Jyn story which, fine it makes some sense although offing her dad seems like a bizarre move.  I'm sure if someone put a bullet in Oppenheimer they could have found a guy to complete the overall project, but that's a nitpick.  Everyone else involved just kind of waltzes into the story for no reason and hangs around for even less of a reason.  Blind dude and big gun samurai?  They literally bump into each other on the street and just tag along with no one questioning it.  Suicide mission for some broad we just met and pedo mustache?  Works for me, the force says so or something.  Cassian hanging around makes some sort of sense because of a moral conflict, but everyone else deciding to ditch the rebellion and join up with a ragtag group whose success depends on a barely sane former Imperial pilot is just dumb.  Lots of awesome, entertaining stuff happens, but there's no plausible reason for these people to be where they are.

I got an idea for a Star Wars movie, it's set in just one of the planets, in a particular city. it's dark and rainy all the time, and crime is pretty bad. the protagonist wears a costume to hide and protect his identity and only comes out at night to get the bad guys who are more local crime than the empire. In the movie one of them gets particularly bad and is kind of insane. He is always laughing and is just so crazy the force can't stop him. So our hero has to stop him working with a local officer/chief guy who secretly feeds him information. there's an old jedi that gives him knowledge and tools to succeed. he also lifts.

The Official synopsis for the Solo Star Wars movie

Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.

Also it seems that the May release is still on.

On 2017-10-21 at 1:38 PM, Komusha said:

I don't think it's crazy to be skeptical about this movie. I guarantee you that Disney is nervous as hell about how this is going to turn out.

Nope. If Disney was sceptical they’d push it back and fix it.

6 hours ago, apoc81 said:

Nope. If Disney was sceptical they’d push it back and fix it.

So no promotion for a movie that is only four months away is a sign of confidence? That generally is a bad sign for a tentpole like this, and unheard of for a Star Wars movie.

3 hours ago, Komusha said:

So no promotion for a movie that is only four months away is a sign of confidence? That generally is a bad sign for a tentpole like this, and unheard of for a Star Wars movie.

Or, they didn't want it to step on The Last Jedi which is barely a month old and they're waiting to debut the trailer during the most watched televised event in the country the SUPER BOWL? Think that might have something to do with it?

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Or, they didn't want it to step on The Last Jedi which is barely a month old and they're waiting to debut the trailer during the most watched televised event in the country the SUPER BOWL? Think that might have something to do with it?

All true, but 4 months is cutting it very close to not have even started the hype train on a movie with the Star Wars brand, let's be fair. I'm sure it'll be fine, but right now no one who doesn't follow this stuff is even aware this movie exists. 

18 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I would be totally cool if this ends up being a National Treasure/Uncharted type fun adventure film. 

That's precisely what a young Han Solo movie should be. 

50 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

All true, but 4 months is cutting it very close to not have even started the hype train on a movie with the Star Wars brand, let's be fair. I'm sure it'll be fine, but right now no one who doesn't follow this stuff is even aware this movie exists. 

If this were any other franchise I think you could be right, but I'm pretty sure that they could announce a new Star Wars movie releasing tomorrow and it would still make a billion dollars, don't you think? :P

8 minutes ago, Nokra said:

If this were any other franchise I think you could be right, but I'm pretty sure that they could announce a new Star Wars movie releasing tomorrow and it would still make a billion dollars, don't you think? :P

As I said, I'm sure it'll be fine, but it's still a bad business strategy, and it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the product. They have to move fast, so that's part of it. But let's not act like this is normal for a blockbuster either. 

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

That's precisely what a young Han Solo movie should be. 

Starring Shia Lebouf as Indiana Jones' son Young Han Solo!

58 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

As I said, I'm sure it'll be fine, but it's still a bad business strategy 

By what metric?

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

By what metric?

Because while in theory you can start a marketing campaign for a Star Wars films, going from 0 to 60 mph with only four months until theatrical release and likely still make a ton of money, it's not guaranteed. Rolling out the hype train properly over the course of a longer period of time only helps your balance of probabilities to increase potential success. Thus, since they are not trying to set themselves up in a position to maximizing potential profits like they could, it's bad business strategy (or "not as good" business strategy may be more accurate to say).

Now, as I said, they may likely be fine anyway, but why wouldn't you take as many business actions as possible to guarantee you're fine, rather than be risky by doing nothing until four months before release for no reason (other than because, as I agreed, they had major reshoots so they have to cut it close).

I know Disney is likely trying to avoid the scrutiny Rogue One got over this (once the movie came out what was and wasn't reshoots overpowered the conversation about the film itself and there were trailers pre-reshoots that invited the internet to create comparisons) but even some hype, even vague and in a slow drip, would only have helped their own cause. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Based on what exactly? What metric are you guys using here? Plenty of Summer tentpole movies don't start their marketing push until the Superbowl.

So by no metric? That’s just gut instinct you put out. What are some examples you can think of where advertising for a film came ~4 months prior to release and the film seemed to underperform?

I can think of a pretty good example of a film who had its first trailer release 4 months prior to its release, didn’t seem to hurt it one bit: Avatar.

I also don’t think there is any reason to presume your speculation over Solo being Rogue One’d is correct. I think we can often think the conversations we have with more serious film fans are had by most of the audience. Anecdotally from random conversations with customers, most people didn’t know about Edwards getting shadow fired and the film being gutted and reshot by another director. “Vader was badass!”

The lack of marketing material makes me nervous as to the quality of the film, but it doesn't really worry me in terms of the box office. With all the turmoil surrounding the making of this film, I see a lack of even a teaser trailer as them scrambling to put this thing together, unsure if it'll even make it's release date.

I don't really worry about the Box Office. Even with the drop from TFA to TLJ, Star Wars is still the biggest thing in media. If they can put out a trailer that sells Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, I think the hype builds itself. In the age of teasers that come out years and years before films, I think the alternative strategy of going after a more rapid hype cycle could work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt we've ever seen anyone actually try that with such a big movie. (Seems @sblfilms came up with a pretty freaking good example while I was writing this) 10 Cloverfield Lane surprised everyone with a very short window between the title reveal and its release, but obviously that was a much smaller.

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Because while in theory you can start a marketing campaign for a Star Wars films, going from 0 to 60 mph with only four months until theatrical release and likely still make a ton of money, it's not guaranteed. Rolling out the hype train properly over the course of a longer period of time only helps your balance of probabilities to increase potential success.

It also COSTS MORE MONEY. And again, why would you advertise the next Star Wars movie while the one you have in theaters is still making money and you are marketing THAT one Worldwide. Again, the timing isn't an accident and it's very deliberate. Four months is PLENTY of time for a Star Wars movie especially if they use The Superbowl to launch their marketing push. Now if you DON'T see a Superbowl spot, then you can speculate but Disney has what, Three tentpoles launching before Solo? Their marketing and advertising is busy as HELL for the first 6 months of 2018 and their strategy makes PERFECT sense to me... provided we see a trailer or spot during the Superbowl.

Again, four months is PLENTY of time especially with the Superbowl as your launching point... I'm not sure what you guys are talking about here.