Reputator

Is Multi-core Enhancement an unfair advantage for the 8700k?

For those unfamiliar with MCE, here's an article and video explaining:

http://techreport.com/blog/32661/just-how-hot-is-coffee-lake

This has been somewhat controversial, as reviews purportedly showing "stock" performance of the 8700k have actually been using MCE (whether intentional or not) to give it a noticeable boost over comparable Ryzen 7 CPUs. Especially on water, all cores can boost up to 4.7GHz with MCE enabled, the speed rated for single-core boosting. Is it technically stock, since it's still somewhat the advertised speed?

Your perception on this issue may hinge on how much you believe stock performance even matters for enthusiast CPUs. I know there are some people out there that don't bother overclocking, but if you do, the 8700k will hit way higher speeds than any Ryzen chip anyway.

No, should be the standard. To me it's an advantage over the gimping of a processor to not be 4.7Ghz, but 4.7Ghz*. An 8700k would have Cores 0-5 starting at 4.7 and sloping down to 4.1Ghz?

7 minutes ago, NeoandGeo said:

No, should be the standard. To me it's an advantage over the gimping of a processor to not be 4.7Ghz, but 4.7Ghz*. An 8700k would have Cores 0-5 starting at 4.7 and sloping down to 4.1Ghz?

So just to understand, are you saying it should have been advertised as 4.7GHz base speed with an asterix?

I don't think it should have been advertised that way when that is only single core performance.  A bit misleading, imo and a way to advertise a higher speed when only one core does that speed in pure stock conditions. I consider stock performance of a 4.7Ghz CPU the performance of the CPU as a whole with all cores running at 4.7Ghz.

One thing I have always wondered is how are clock for clock IPC levels between the most current CPU's For AMD/Intel? Say if Ryzen had 6 cores running at 4.7Ghz, how would it compare to the 8700k?

It shouldn't be used in reviews as the default setting, it should be saved for the overclocking portion.  It is overclocking and not every processor will be able to hit 4.7 on all cores without raising voltage and requiring a custom water loop.  Of course every review chip that has been binned best of the best will be able to hit 4.7 on air and make the processor look better against its competitors.

Here's a follow-up video where the guy re-tests with MCE disabled, and as you can see it makes a significant difference, which could have influenced people's perception looking at reviews affected by this.

On 10/11/2017 at 12:01 PM, Reputator said:

For those unfamiliar with MCE, here's an article and video explaining:

http://techreport.com/blog/32661/just-how-hot-is-coffee-lake

This has been somewhat controversial, as reviews purportedly showing "stock" performance of the 8700k have actually been using MCE (whether intentional or not) to give it a noticeable boost over comparable Ryzen 7 CPUs. Especially on water, all cores can boost up to 4.7GHz with MCE enabled, the speed rated for single-core boosting. Is it technically stock, since it's still somewhat the advertised speed?

Your perception on this issue may hinge on how much you believe stock performance even matters for enthusiast CPUs. I know there are some people out there that don't bother overclocking, but if you do, the 8700k will hit way higher speeds than any Ryzen chip anyway.

Stock performance matters, because you should be comparing a "stock" 1800X to a stock 8700k IMO.

After that, do whatever optimizations you wish to do (on both chips obviously).  

Anyways, there were some issues initially with Ryzen reviews too.  

On 10/12/2017 at 5:54 PM, mikechorney said:

I am confused....  Aren't the "k" chips shipped without coolers, because they are primarily intended for enthusiasts that will overclock?

Who runs an intel "k" processor at stock frequencies?

I got a cooler with my 4790k and never used it obviously :P, anyone who runs a K series without overclocking wasted their money.