Sign in to follow this  
Reputator

I'm an e-begging bitch. Help me get a new retro PC for the GPU History Project!

I came to a sudden realization one day on my way to work. My Athlon 64 computer just isn't enough to do the Graphics Card History Project justice, particularly for some of my PCI Express cards from 2005-2006.

The idea behind PixelPipes is to pair a processor that's a lot faster than what was available when these retro cards were new, and together with newer drivers maybe learn something we didn't know about their true performance that wasn't apparent in old reviews, because either CPUs at the time were too slow and/or drivers at launch weren't mature. (This has already shown results in my testing so far. For example, a Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition has turned out to be faster in retrospect than a 6800 Ultra in Doom 3! That was never the case in reviews from 2004!)

My Athlon 64 X2 is a 2005 processor, albeit overclocked, and doesn't deliver on one of the guiding principles of my channel, as I've come to realize.

So I need something much faster, but it basically requires a new computer. I've settled on getting the fastest Core 2 Duo available, and overclocking it even further (hopefully to 4GHz). I chose this platform for a few reasons.

• I don't need more than two cores, and this CPU keeps up with early Core i3 processors without OCing.
  • Overall price, as a high quality LGA775 motherboard is cheaper than say a decent LGA1156 board for overclocking.
  • Compatibility with Windows XP, and feature parity with my Athlon 64, as I don't want my platforms too far apart in terms of SATA generation and so on (I'll still be using my A64 for AGP cards).
  • Scalability. This is a 2007-2008 platform that can be used with early DirectX10 cards as well.

I don't have the space for an open test platform, so I'd really like a case. I purged many of my spare parts a few years ago, so I don't even have a spare optical drive.

Parts: (price approximate)

Core 2 Duo E8600 3.3GHz $15

High quality motherboard $50

2GB RAM $15

Power Supply (has to be new) $50

Case $50

SSD $50

Optical drive + Hyper 212 + case fans if necessary ~$60

Total: $290

If you'd like to help me raise money for my project, you can send contributions via PayPal to [email protected] Post in the thread how much you're contributing so we can keep track, or I'll post updates here. I can put your name in an end credits screen at the end of the project, and any videos involving this platform if you'd like!

Thank you guys so much for being so supportive this year, and I really hope to live up to your expectations!

So that leaves me to cover the other $140.00, I'll send it in a moment! 

Edit: Done! Keep up the good work man, I appreciate your efforts! :sun:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

This place never ceases to amaze me. In a good way.

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAI....oh, damn it! :/

Hey it was a compliment! I’m still rocking the Sullybox. :hug:

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Haha, awesome! :sun:

Indeed! It’s going to be a bitter pill to swallow when I decided to upgrade to 4K or 1440p and need to buy a $1200 card to get equivalent performance. :P

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Indeed! It’s going to be a bitter pill to swallow when I decided to upgrade to 4K or 1440p and need to buy a $1200 card to get equivalent performance. :P

Well now you've gone and done it sir! You will be receiving my Titan Xp when I jump to the Volta. DEAL WITH IT! 

tumblr_lndozf0bsD1qh74yh.gif

8 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Well now you've gone and done it sir! You will be receiving my Titan Xp when I jump to the Volta. DEAL WITH IT! 

tumblr_lndozf0bsD1qh74yh.gif

tears_of_joy.jpg

tears_of_joy.jpg

tears_of_joy.jpg

I just want to say that it's so uplifting to see that there are people that believe in what I'm doing and my ability to do it. I can sit here and tell myself all day long that what I'm doing is important (in a way) and can really bring a lot of people some entertainment and maybe even teach them something they didn't know before. But it doesn't matter if other people don't feel the same way.

So thank you all for that!

The parts have been ordered!

Core 2 Duo E8600 ($13)

Asus P5K-E ($40)

2x1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR2-1066 ($10)

Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD ($50)

Fractal Design Focus G case ($60 + $10 ship)

Corsair CX650M PSU (refurbished) ($50)

Asus DVDRW drive ($18)

Cooler Master Hyper 212X (dual fan) ($42)

Total: $293

Plus some thermal paste and fans which I bought myself.

I plan to make this into a build video and credit you guys properly for making it possible!

Hmm I have sticks of old ram (2GB) I would have been willing to send you but these selfish bastards threw all their money at you. I find building an old computer from other people's old scraps infinitely more interesting.

Still if you're interested in the ram it's this kind: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104073

Let me know if you want it I'll send it to you for free.

20 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Aww man, I would have suggested going with a Q9550 or Q9650.  You may not need more than two cores, but they still have twice the cache.

Oh, I suppose you could always pop a quad core in later and see if you get an improvement.

Those never had the clock headroom of the dual core processors. I'm sure you remember the debates that raged back in those days over that.

1 minute ago, misfit410 said:

I've got dozens of these machines to recycle soon, so if any parts fit your needs let me know and I'll send them your way

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-compaq-business-desktop-dc7900-core-2-duo-e8500-3-16-ghz-monitor-none-series/specs/

Oh nice. If the hard drives are up for grabs I'll take a couple of those!

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Those never had the clock headroom of the dual core processors. I'm sure you remember the debates that raged back in those days over that.

I remember for sure.  I think they mainly didn't have the clock headroom because of the lower multiplier.  With today's cooling solutions I'm sure heat won't be a problem.  Direct heatpipe tech wasn't around back then.

8 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I remember for sure.  I think they mainly didn't have the clock headroom because of the lower multiplier.  With today's cooling solutions I'm sure heat won't be a problem.  Direct heatpipe tech wasn't around back then.

Well they were simply bigger dies as well. Lower multipliers also have the complication of relying on the FSB headroom of the motherboard.

On 9/22/2017 at 8:58 AM, SFLUFAN said:

Just sent you $150

Hey man I need about a grand for a knife grinder.

Oh the joys of eBay. A seller sent my RAM to the wrong person.

Fortunately I happened to grab some spare RAM from a friend the past weekend of almost the exact same specs.

7 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Oh the joys of eBay. A seller sent my RAM to the wrong person.

Fortunately I happened to grab some spare RAM from a friend the past weekend of almost the exact same specs.

All part of the adventure, right?! :P