Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

London revokes Uber's license to operate due to "lack of corporate responsibility"

For as useful as their service is, I wish it wasn't tied to such a shitty company.

2 minutes ago, Slug said:

For as useful as their service is, I wish it wasn't tied to such a shitty company.

I'm hoping that this threat to one of their biggest markets serves as a wake-up call to the C-suite.

22 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm hoping that this threat to one of their biggest markets serves as a wake-up call to the C-suite.

There doesn't seem to be many people left in the C-suite to answer the call lol

I'm guessing this is "proper" under British law? My reflex is that this is a little too blatantly specifically crafted to just fuck with Uber, but from what I remember British law is also more permissive about such things.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm guessing this is "proper" under British law? My reflex is that this is a little too blatantly specifically crafted to just fuck with Uber, but from what I remember British law is also more permissive about such things.

Uber will be taking it to court so I guess we'll see just how "proper" it is.

27 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Uber will be taking it to court so I guess we'll see just how "proper" it is.

Yeah but I meant whether this is normal in Britain or if Uber is likely to actually prevail because of how targeted this is.

5 hours ago, CheeTo said:

Is Lyft gaining ground now? They keep sending me free ride promotions.

They're only in the US but they're pretty ubiquitous in the US. If you're someplace in the US where you can get Uber then you can almost certainly get Lyft as well.

57 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I exclusively use Lyft now.  Fuck Uber.

I will use Uber when Uber is significantly cheaper than Lyft--I found that in DC they usually surged in unison but here they seem to frequently surge completely independently of each other--but yeah, I default to Lyft now. I've had issues with Lyft at LAX too, but trying to get picked up at LAX using Uber has just become a fucking nightmare. A few weeks ago it took me nearly an HOUR to get a ride while I had one Lyft driver cancel right before getting to Terminal 6 (dude you just went all the way around the loop, fucking seriously NOW you're gonna cancel?) only on Uber do I get this absurd parade of drivers accepting and immediately canceling, accepting and then promptly calling trying to get me to cancel ("no, fuck you, if I cancel I'm going to get put in the back of the line and am going to lose the rate I just locked in"), calling and trying to screen my location "because my phone isn't working" (first off, no, fuck you, you know perfectly damn well my destination doesn't show until the ride starts; and two, if your phone isn't working then how the fuck are you calling me given the Uber app isn't actually giving you my number?).

I'm guessing being at Terminal 6 instead of Terminal 3 now isn't helping things. 4/5/6 are probably the worst spot to get picked up from.

I've had ~20 minute waits before but this was just absurd. Next time I'm just forking over the $55 for a taxi if it looks like that's happening again.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

They're only in the US but they're pretty ubiquitous in the US. If you're someplace in the US where you can get Uber then you can almost certainly get Lyft as well.

I will use Uber when Uber is significantly cheaper than Lyft--I found that in DC they usually surged in unison but here they seem to frequently surge completely independently of each other--but yeah, I default to Lyft now. I've had issues with Lyft at LAX too, but trying to get picked up at LAX using Uber has just become a fucking nightmare. A few weeks ago it took me nearly an HOUR to get a ride while I had one Lyft driver cancel right before getting to Terminal 6 (dude you just went all the way around the loop, fucking seriously NOW you're gonna cancel?) only on Uber do I get this absurd parade of drivers accepting and immediately canceling, accepting and then promptly calling trying to get me to cancel ("no, fuck you, if I cancel I'm going to get put in the back of the line and am going to lose the rate I just locked in"), calling and trying to screen my location "because my phone isn't working" (first off, no, fuck you, you know perfectly damn well my destination doesn't show until the ride starts; and two, if your phone isn't working then how the fuck are you calling me given the Uber app isn't actually giving you my number?).

I'm guessing being at Terminal 6 instead of Terminal 3 now isn't helping things. 4/5/6 are probably the worst spot to get picked up from.

I've had ~20 minute waits before but this was just absurd. Next time I'm just forking over the $55 for a taxi if it looks like that's happening again.

I've had an Uber driver accept then turn into the wrong parking lot and take off the opposite direction on the interstate without picking anyone up. It was 3am in the fucking suburbs, we had to wait another half hour for another pickup. we got charged for the cancellation because I didn't want to play who will cancel first chicken after 5 minutes of them going down the highway. Had another Uber driver pick up the wrong passenger--3/4 mile from my pickup point at a festival I wasn't at. That got reversed luckily.

Never had an issue with Lyft though.

39 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've had an Uber driver accept then turn into the wrong parking lot and take off the opposite direction on the interstate without picking anyone up. It was 3am in the fucking suburbs, we had to wait another half hour for another pickup. we got charged for the cancellation because I didn't want to play who will cancel first chicken after 5 minutes of them going down the highway. Had another Uber driver pick up the wrong passenger--3/4 mile from my pickup point at a festival I wasn't at. That got reversed luckily.

Never had an issue with Lyft though.

When the driver is blatantly trying to get you to cancel, give it a few minutes, cancel, and promptly write Uber to complain about it. They've been assholes about it a couple of time recently but they have the GPS log of what the driver was doing so usually they're pretty good about giving you credit toward your next ride when that happens. (Also apparently you can get them to actually directly refund your credit card if you press them on it after they offer you the ride credit.)

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Hmmm, I never have issues getting picked up or dropped off at LAX. I do tend to travel outside pf rush hour though, flying out either really late or really early.

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Hmmm, I never have issues getting picked up or dropped off at LAX. I do tend to travel outside pf rush hour though, flying out either really late or really early.

Recently I've had a bunch of trips where I get back to LAX at around 9 PM on a Sunday.

15 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Maybe observe the Christian day of rest? Its America not Jewmerica.

1/10, really low-effort. Sad!