Sign in to follow this  
gfxtwin

Awesome characters that are bad characters

gfxtwin    241

Examples: 

Albert Wesker - He's viewed as an iconic villain, but in the first game his villainy is so obvious that it ruins the one real "twist" in the "story". He dies at the end of RE1 but is resurrected in CV and looks cool in action provided you can suspend your disbelief that a strain of virus will mutate you into having the same powers as Agent Smith. There's still some cool factor, but at the end of the day his character arch ends with him becoming yet another standard baddie who wants to take over the world.

Kratos - He comes up in lots of "who would win in a fight debates. He also kinda seems to be designed with the main purpose of ending those debates. Totally OP and a terrible person, his badass qualities are there, but he's also a dick and kind of ridiculous.

Ryu from Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 - Hands DOWN, the coolest and most stylish fighter in any game during gameplay. He makes you feel like a martial arts master, or, if nothing else, like you're choreographing your own interactive martial arts movie. Fun to watch in every way...except when the story kicks in. Totally bland as a character with a tropey, uninteresting backstory.

Dante from Devil May Cry (yes, THOSE Devil May Cry games): Looks cool, has stylish moves, etc. Like Ryu, he's a blast to watch during gameplay, and in his case, that often extends to cutscenes. He's also got a pretty neat backstory of being a demon hunter who's half demon and runs a literal demon hunting store in a futuristic neo goth city. He's involved in an entertaining feud with his brother, also a badass who eventually turns into a hell knight warrior that cues amazing music when in combat. But the cringy dialogue in the games and some lame one-liners prevent him from being a dope character.

Link - You saw it coming. It doesn't get any more iconic than Link. He's a legend, just like his Zelda games. We always root for him because he's the hero. Sometimes he even looks stylish as heck (BOTW). Who doesn't love Link? That said, doesn't change the face that he has no dialogue, has little to no character development and is a pretty basic hero archetype. Intentional, yes, but still limits him as a character.

Your picks?

Moa    51

This is actual concept art of canon Commander Shepard.

image.png

EDIT: I think I missed the point of the thread since Shepard is a bad bad character not an awesome bad character.

As penitence I will offer a more fitting contribution. Marcus Fenix very appropriately has the personality of a well-done steak.

XxEvil AshxX    286

i know i'm gonna get shit for this, but...

Aloy. There was all this hype and praise for this "strong female lead," and i'm playing it finally, and while her backstory is intruiging, i'm just not finding what was supposed to be so amazingly fresh about her actual character. Sure, she has that "can do" attitude, but she's the main character. Wouldn't be much of a game if she just said "fuck no" every time someone asked her to do something.

I actually found her child version more interesting, though with an enormous melon.

skillzdadirecta    1,794
40 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

i know i'm gonna get shit for this, but...

Aloy. There was all this hype and praise for this "strong female lead," and i'm playing it finally, and while her backstory is intruiging, i'm just not finding what was supposed to be so amazingly fresh about her actual character. Sure, she has that "can do" attitude, but she's the main character. Wouldn't be much of a game if she just said "fuck no" every time someone asked her to do something.

I actually found her child version more interesting, though with an enormous melon.

I wish we spent more time with her as a kid... I like adult Aloy, but she is a little bland. I think that's more due to the writing than the performance or character design. Another character I would add to the list is Varric from the Dragon Age series. Folks LOVE him and to me he's just an annoying Tyrion wannabe. I thought he was annoying before I even knew Tyrion EXISTED then once I got up on Game of Thrones, I TOTALLY saw what they were going for with him.

TwinIon    857

If I'm understanding the question right, you're asking what very cool characters are not well developed or particularly interesting as actual characters? I think the vast majority of awesome video game characters fit under that description, at least nearly every character not in an RPG.

gfxtwin    241
8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

If I'm understanding the question right, you're asking what very cool characters are not well developed or particularly interesting as actual characters? I think the vast majority of awesome video game characters fit under that description, at least nearly every character not in an RPG.

Nailed it.  And I would also say it applies to quite a lot of RPG characters  :P 

Moa    51

Yeah, while storytelling in games has gotten a lot better over the years character development has lagged severely. The silent protagonists and snarky roguish Nathan Fillion fill-ins need to be put to rest.