Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
atom631

Anyone here cut the cord? Help a brother out...

Recommended Posts

atom631    158

Need some help!! My cable bill is outrageous. Im paying $210/mo with my CATV provider. I have 5 boxes. whole-home DVR and I have the package bumped to include Showtime and HBO. Also comes with 100mb internet. I rarely use 2 of those boxes, but that would only save my $20/mo. 

 

I would LOVE to cut the cord. Here is my issue: My wife LOVES and really only watches Bravo, ID and MTV for The Challenge.  This severely limits my options for a streaming service. It looks like Im really only able to get DirectTV now as I think they are the only ones who have MTV. It doesn't look like MTV has their own subscription service yet.

 

The issue with directTV now is:

  • No DVR option
  • Only 2 concurrent streams

 

With 2 Kids, I dont think that 2 streams is going to work. I also don't know how important DVR is with a streaming service. Does on-demand these days cover all the shows? If that is the case, then 2 concurrent streams might be OK.

 

Also, if Im using something like the showtime app or the HBO app, can I watch shows in real time? Like..can I watch GoT at 9pm on sunday when its on? Or do i have to wait for the next day for the app to include the show? Fucking FB and spoilers man.. I need to stay ahead of the game!

 

Here is what I was looking at:

  • Direct TV now basic with HBO is $40/mo
  • I can then add Showtime to my Prime subscription for $7.99/mo

 

This would cover all the channels I needed at 48 bux. I can get rid of my TV service all together and my internet-only bill would drop to $75/mo for 100mb. Is 100Mb enough if 2-3 TV are streaming and Im gaming? This would be a 65-70/mo savings which is pretty significant. I could even add in Hulu :sick: if I really need to and still save almost 50/mo.  

 

Of course  I would have to buy a few Rokus or Firesticks as I only have 2, but that is a one-time investment, so NBD.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Littleronin    403

We went antenna about a year ago and haven't looked back. I got tired of the cable bill just seeming to go up non-stop. In rural Nevada we get around 30ish stations. For movies we just use Prime Video and our NAS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snaynay1    695
2 hours ago, atom631 said:

Need some help!! My cable bill is outrageous. Im paying $210/mo with my CATV provider. I have 5 boxes. whole-home DVR and I have the package bumped to include Showtime and HBO. Also comes with 100mb internet. I rarely use 2 of those boxes, but that would only save my $20/mo. 

 

I would LOVE to cut the cord. Here is my issue: My wife LOVES and really only watches Bravo, ID and MTV for The Challenge.  This severely limits my options for a streaming service. It looks like Im really only able to get DirectTV now as I think they are the only ones who have MTV. It doesn't look like MTV has their own subscription service yet.

 

The issue with directTV now is:

  • No DVR option
  • Only 2 concurrent streams

 

With 2 Kids, I dont think that 2 streams is going to work. I also don't know how important DVR is with a streaming service. Does on-demand these days cover all the shows? If that is the case, then 2 concurrent streams might be OK.

 

Also, if Im using something like the showtime app or the HBO app, can I watch shows in real time? Like..can I watch GoT at 9pm on sunday when its on? Or do i have to wait for the next day for the app to include the show? Fucking FB and spoilers man.. I need to stay ahead of the game!

 

Here is what I was looking at:

  • Direct TV now basic with HBO is $40/mo
  • I can then add Showtime to my Prime subscription for $7.99/mo

 

This would cover all the channels I needed at 48 bux. I can get rid of my TV service all together and my internet-only bill would drop to $75/mo for 100mb. Is 100Mb enough if 2-3 TV are streaming and Im gaming? This would be a 65-70/mo savings which is pretty significant. I could even add in Hulu :sick: if I really need to and still save almost 50/mo.  

 

Of course  I would have to buy a few Rokus or Firesticks as I only have 2, but that is a one-time investment, so NBD.

 

 

 

 

 

My internet is 35 mb and I will regularly have three tvs streaming with my son also having his godamn tablet streaming some youtube video game rap music while playing online. No problems at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Triage    7,642

I don't know why I read the the title and thought your woman will be having a baby and you are scared to cut the umbilical cord :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atom631    158
7 hours ago, Triage said:

I don't know why I read the the title and thought your woman will be having a baby and you are scared to cut the umbilical cord :lol: 

 

LOL. god no. Those days are over! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Runny    642
15 hours ago, misfit410 said:

I'm very happy with DirecTV Now, but that is because I'm grandfathered in at 100 Channels for $35 a month and HBO added for $5 a month..

 

This except I for HBO now free for a year.

 

I absolutely love DirecTV now. It had its growing pains that's for fucking sure. But free HBO helps me forget that. 

 

DVR is coming FYI @atom631. It's in beta currently. Hopefully should launch in a couple months. As far as concurrent streams..yeah I wish they had more than 2. I bet they will at some point (pretty sure PS Vue offers more). 

 

And yes digital HD antenna is an absolute must as well. Love it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwinIon    857

Playstation Vue includes Bravo and DVR for $40, and allows 5 concurrent streams. If she only watches MTV for one show, you can either buy the show by the season or you can get Hulu. That doesn't include HBO though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
qwik4a6    31
16 hours ago, misfit410 said:

I'm very happy with DirecTV Now, but that is because I'm grandfathered in at 100 Channels for $35 a month and HBO added for $5 a month..

 

 

This.  While not perfect it has been getting better. Hard to give up for a lifetime $35.00 plan that typically costs double anywhere else.

 

As for the 2 stream thing. Sign up for 2 services. It's still cheaper than a cable package in the long run. no contracts and prices shouldn't go up that much..

 

Get a $20.00 plan from sling or something for your kids to share. You use the Direct TV Now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joestradamus    127
47 minutes ago, qwik4a6 said:

 

This.  While not perfect it has been getting better. Hard to give up for a lifetime $35.00 plan that typically costs double anywhere else.

 

As for the 2 stream thing. Sign up for 2 services. It's still cheaper than a cable package in the long run. no contracts and prices shouldn't go up that much..

 

Get a $20.00 plan from sling or something for your kids to share. You use the Direct TV Now.

We have Sling blue+orange. Works great for us, and it introduced me to the awesomeness of Roku. Trying to get my family to switch from Xfinity to Sling or something similar, but it's gotta have spanish channels for my mom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kittykat    6,601
4 hours ago, Captain Pickle said:

any canadians have tips.

 

Only reason I have it is cuz wife wants food network for top chef and Mr Robot

 

 

 

Crave TV is actually pretty legit. 

 

Between Netflix, crave, and torrenting, cable is no need in my world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iculus    178
6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

 

I would love to get people's thoughts on this as well

I have a Mohu Leaf and it works really well. I live in SE Atlanta though (all stations within 10 miles) so just about any antenna would work. But it does have really good reviews.

 

Edit: don't buy and amped antenna unless you are near the range limit for that antenna. Amps can really screw with the signals if you are relatively close to the towers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slug    985

FWIW Hulu seems to have everything you're looking for, TV-wise, except ID channel (that I can tell).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bladimir2k    197

@atom631 Me and the wife cut the cord a year ago... Almost all streaming services give you a trial period. So I tested all that I could at the time which were Sling TV & Playstation Vue. I later tested YoutubeTv and HuluTV when they released. I have not tested DirectTV Now, I think Amazon has TV streaming service now.

 

We ended up with PlayStation Vue at the time for their channel lineup because the wife wanted some specific channels.  It has some DVR capabilities for some channels/shows.... overall we were very happy with it.... but we also had a netflix subscription and my wife has Hulu and HBO Now from a relative that was nice to give us their account for us to watch for free.  We actually ended up watching more shows through netflix, hulu & HBOnow that we weren't even using the Playstation Vue service so after like 6-7 months we cancelled it.

 

It sounds like DirectTV Now is what suits you best right now for the channel lineup that your wife wants... after testing most of the streaming services out there I was really impressed with YoutubeTV.. you have unlimited cloud DVR, you can have up to 6 people streaming at once... and currently it's only in select markets but I feel like when it releases everyone it's going to catch on and they will add more channels/features... 

 

Currenty this is what i pay:

Verizon Fios 350mb internet: $69.99 (We'll end up paying $89.99 after 3rd year)

Netflix: $9.99

HBO Now: Free! lol (honestly I offered to pay half the subscription for HBO and Hulu and they decline, but if you can find a family member to share accounts with this is a great way to lower some costs)

Hulu: Free! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TwinIon    857
On 9/13/2017 at 9:33 AM, Joestradamus said:

Any HD antenna recommendations?

 

9 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I would love to get people's thoughts on this as well

The biggest question with antennas is what kind of signal strength you have. Thankfully, there are very helpful maps to help figure that out, including one from the FCC.

 

From those maps I was able to tell that I could get most channels with a small 25 mile antenna. If you need more than ~35 miles the antennas will end up being powered and you'll probably need to be much more careful about where you place them. For the shorter distance ones, I don't think there's a very big difference between them and you can cheap out and be just fine. I bought those for $10 for the Super Bowl and they worked great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atom631    158
4 hours ago, bladimir2k said:

@atom631 Me and the wife cut the cord a year ago... Almost all streaming services give you a trial period. So I tested all that I could at the time which were Sling TV & Playstation Vue. I later tested YoutubeTv and HuluTV when they released. I have not tested DirectTV Now, I think Amazon has TV streaming service now.

 

We ended up with PlayStation Vue at the time for their channel lineup because the wife wanted some specific channels.  It has some DVR capabilities for some channels/shows.... overall we were very happy with it.... but we also had a netflix subscription and my wife has Hulu and HBO Now from a relative that was nice to give us their account for us to watch for free.  We actually ended up watching more shows through netflix, hulu & HBOnow that we weren't even using the Playstation Vue service so after like 6-7 months we cancelled it.

 

It sounds like DirectTV Now is what suits you best right now for the channel lineup that your wife wants... after testing most of the streaming services out there I was really impressed with YoutubeTV.. you have unlimited cloud DVR, you can have up to 6 people streaming at once... and currently it's only in select markets but I feel like when it releases everyone it's going to catch on and they will add more channels/features... 

 

Currenty this is what i pay:

Verizon Fios 350mb internet: $69.99 (We'll end up paying $89.99 after 3rd year)

Netflix: $9.99

HBO Now: Free! lol (honestly I offered to pay half the subscription for HBO and Hulu and they decline, but if you can find a family member to share accounts with this is a great way to lower some costs)

Hulu: Free! lol

 

Is HBO Now and HBO Go the same? 

 

I want to be able to watch shows in real time. Not sure if both do the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bladimir2k    197
1 minute ago, atom631 said:

 

Is HBO Now and HBO Go the same? 

 

I want to be able to watch shows in real time. Not sure if both do the same thing. 

Sorry i meant HBO GO......not Now... but shows do show up at the same time as when they go live on the app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atom631    158
1 minute ago, bladimir2k said:

Sorry i meant HBO GO......not Now... but shows do show up at the same time as when they go live on the app.

Awesome. I gotta do this. Cable is suck a fucking ripoff and they refuse to lower my bill. I asked for even $30 less a month and they still said no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bladimir2k    197
8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Awesome. I gotta do this. Cable is suck a fucking ripoff and they refuse to lower my bill. I asked for even $30 less a month and they still said no

Same... I wanted to do OTA Antenna plus a streaming service, but the place me and my wife moved into, we couldn't place an antenna. At least for news I would have liked to have OTA. Eventually when we get our own place I'm probably going to have antenna plus netflix with hulu. Due to your family you probably need some type of tv for your kids. Me and the wife eventually found out we really didn't need TV. Just shows to keep us entertained. I do miss some sports which i manage to catch by other means sometimes.

 

Who is your internet provider?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
atom631    158
29 minutes ago, bladimir2k said:

Same... I wanted to do OTA Antenna plus a streaming service, but the place me and my wife moved into, we couldn't place an antenna. At least for news I would have liked to have OTA. Eventually when we get our own place I'm probably going to have antenna plus netflix with hulu. Due to your family you probably need some type of tv for your kids. Me and the wife eventually found out we really didn't need TV. Just shows to keep us entertained. I do miss some sports which i manage to catch by other means sometimes.

 

Who is your internet provider?

Optimum is my provider. They suck. It's 75/mo for 100mb and that's a promotion that will end Jan. I can either pay 100 or stay at 75 and be downgraded to 75mb. 

 

My kids actually mostly watch Netflix and Nick Jr. nick seems to be in every package so they are good. It's really my wife that's a PITA. She absolutely has to be able to watch The Challenge on MTV. Hasn't missed an episode in 30 years. I called Hulu and while they have MTV they don't get the challenge. Direct TV now is the only service that has it. However with no DVR and the latest show taking a week or more to go up on on-demand, I'm SOL right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dodger    1,309

Is the crap your wife watches on Hulu? Most the shit my chick watches is on Hulu. I literally only have cable for the Dodgers channel and I guess easy access to Fox and CBS and NBC for football. Netflix and Huly have me covered for everything else. 

 

I have two boxes and 100mb internet. I called my shitty cable provider (Charter or whatever the fuck they call themselves now) and got my bill down to $100 a month for two boxes and then basic cable and internet. I don't need it, but internet alone would be like 60-70 a month so I just pay the extra to have my crappy Dodgers. Have you done the whole call and cancel thing? When I called I didn't just complain about the price I specifically told them to shut off the cable tv service since I don't need it and they lopped $70 off my monthly bill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bladimir2k    197
1 hour ago, atom631 said:

Optimum is my provider. They suck. It's 75/mo for 100mb and that's a promotion that will end Jan. I can either pay 100 or stay at 75 and be downgraded to 75mb. 

 

My kids actually mostly watch Netflix and Nick Jr. nick seems to be in every package so they are good. It's really my wife that's a PITA. She absolutely has to be able to watch The Challenge on MTV. Hasn't missed an episode in 30 years. I called Hulu and while they have MTV they don't get the challenge. Direct TV now is the only service that has it. However with no DVR and the latest show taking a week or more to go up on on-demand, I'm SOL right now. 

Verizon Fios is not available in your town? Playstation vue had all the Viacom channels (e.g. MTV) last year when I got it, but I think Viacom got greedy and wanted more money and took all their channels off after they didn't pay up. That's why you don't see MTV in most streaming services. That's one CON about streaming services you'll see channels being added and removed because negotiations fall through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anathema-    3,230

Having just had to get a new service I've found that Comcast is -extremely- competitive.  Real internet speeds faster (up to 1.5 times as fast) than my previous FiOS, all the same channels (incl. HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz) for like .. almost half the price.  Considering what it would cost to fully cut the cord I really don't see how it's not more affordable to just go with this option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bladimir2k    197
1 hour ago, atom631 said:

Optimum is my provider. They suck. It's 75/mo for 100mb and that's a promotion that will end Jan. I can either pay 100 or stay at 75 and be downgraded to 75mb. 

 

My kids actually mostly watch Netflix and Nick Jr. nick seems to be in every package so they are good. It's really my wife that's a PITA. She absolutely has to be able to watch The Challenge on MTV. Hasn't missed an episode in 30 years. I called Hulu and while they have MTV they don't get the challenge. Direct TV now is the only service that has it. However with no DVR and the latest show taking a week or more to go up on on-demand, I'm SOL right now. 

Verizon Fios is not available in your town? Playstation vue had all the Viacom channels (e.g. MTV) last year when I got it, but I think Viacom got greedy and wanted more money and took all their channels off after they didn't pay up. That's why you don't see MTV in most streaming services. That's one CON about streaming services you'll see channels being added and removed because negotiations fall through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×