RedSoxFan9

Apple Special Event - September 12‎ at 1 pm EDT

Anzo    584

My new phone arrived on my lunch break. Restoring from back up as I write this. I already love wireless charging. Thanks for catching up Apple! :P 

9 minutes ago, Anzo said:

My new phone arrived on my lunch break. Restoring from back up as I write this. I already love wireless charging. Thanks for catching up Apple! :P 

are you able to charge with the phone in a case? I have an iPhone 5 and so I suppose it's about time I upgraded. I hear there doesn't seem to be a huge demand of the 8, which is understandable, Apple being a bunch of dumbasses by announcing the X at the same event as the 8, they should have held the X until the spring. 

Anzo    584
1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

are you able to charge with the phone in a case? I have an iPhone 5 and so I suppose it's about time I upgraded. I hear there doesn't seem to be a huge demand of the 8, which is understandable, Apple being a bunch of dumbasses by announcing the X at the same event as the 8, they should have held the X until the spring. 

I am using the Apple silicone case and it charges just fine. Anything thicker than that though you might have an issue. I had a magnet on the back of the case and even though it was just a few mm thick, the phone would not charge with it on. I'm going to have to go with out or find a different place to stick it. 

mikechorney    138
9 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

6 minutes ago, Anzo said:

I am using the Apple silicone case and it charges just fine. Anything thicker than that though you might have an issue. I had a magnet on the back of the case and even though it was just a few mm thick, the phone would not charge with it on. I'm going to have to go with out or find a different place to stick it. 

Wireless charging on Android phones through a case -- @Anzo -- a metal magnet will block the charging, so your non-charging was probably due to the magnet, rather than the thickness.

Anzo    584
33 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Wireless charging on Android phones through a case -- @Anzo -- a metal magnet will block the charging, so your non-charging was probably due to the magnet, rather than the thickness.

Ah good to know. Thanks!

Rbk_3    227

Man this thing feels heavy, maybe too heavy. I bought a pretty slim case and even still, it weighs 230 grams. My 6 Plus with the same type of cause is only like 180. I can definitely feel the difference. Might have to go with out one, but I don’t like doing that really with the protruding camera

RedSoxFan9    2,357
On 9/21/2017 at 2:18 PM, ort said:

The new Apple TV has been super disappointing in my book.

I hate the whole "the future of TV is apps" theory. No it isn't. Fuck that. The future of TV is on universal interface with all content available. One app. Not apps.

The remote stinks, no one makes any apps for it, it SUCKS as a gaming box, it's just not that great of a product.

Also, my remote broke and a new one is so expensive that I'm just using my phone as a remote, and that experience is also not great.

Working on the Apple TV must be like being sent to the roof at Hooli.

ort    570

Yeah, this thing is super heavy. Heavy and huge. I’m still getting used to the size, I love it and hate it at the same time. It really makes you realize how often I use my phone with one hand. I was brushing my teeth last night and getting annoyed because I usually check my phone with my other hand and it was definitely trickier.

Also, I have this charging pad thing, and it works when I test it, but I put my phone on it last night and in the morning it hadnt charged at all. I don’t know if I messed up or what, but not a good first impression...

sblfilms    1,045
19 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Yeah, Apple has such a terrible track record of knowing when to release its phones. Good point.

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, Apple has such a terrible track record of knowing when to release its phones. Good point.

releasing a new phone a month after releasing their newest one? That doesn't strike you as stupid? Announcing and showing off the latest cutting edge piece of tech at the same show that only 13 seconds earlier you showed off your other new phone doesn't strike you as completely idiotic? Hey this is our new phone...but wait just second here's are even newer phone!!!!  I can guarantee you Steve Jobs wouldn't have done that. 

sblfilms    1,045

No, I don’t think there is anything stupid about their release plan. The X and 8 are two different categories of product, they don’t need simultaneous release. Better to delay the X to have proper supply and still get it out for the Holiday frame. I guess we will just have to see what the sales look like for the quarter to see if Apple was right or if your were right ;) 

And Steve Jobs made many mistakes over his career, so all of the speculative “Steve would NEVER do that!” posts are just silly.

ort    570

In a perfect world, apple would have released them all at the same time... but they couldn’t so they made the best choice out of a bunch of less than perfect choices.

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No, I don’t think there is anything stupid about their release plan. The X and 8 are two different categories of product, they don’t need simultaneous release. Better to delay the X to have proper supply and still get it out for the Holiday frame. I guess we will just have to see what the sales look like for the quarter to see if Apple was right or if your were right ;) 

And Steve Jobs made many mistakes over his career, so all of the speculative “Steve would NEVER do that!” posts are just silly.

Given the price points, not much more than an 8+ I don't really see them as being all that different categories. And I think it's pretty safe to say Steve wouldn't have called it X (ten) 

heyyoudvd    807
8 minutes ago, ort said:

In a perfect world, apple would have released them all at the same time... but they couldn’t so they made the best choice out of a bunch of less than perfect choices.

If Apple had released them at the same time, the X would have overshadowed  the 8 and a lot of 8 buyers would have felt disappointed by the fact that there’re spending $700+ and aren’t even getting the best phone.

With the current release schedule, the 8 and 8+ are getting their own release window and so buyers are getting the best phone in the world right now. It’ll be 6 weeks before the X is out and so in the mean time, the 8 and 8+ are getting their time to shine.

Also in the mean time, this is giving Apple extra time to ramp up the supply chain for the X and to polish the software for the new form factor.

I think Apple’s strategy here was excellent.

sblfilms    1,045

There is a 25% price difference between the base 8+ and X.

Yeah, the guy who called his operating system OS1-10, and then suddenly went with 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc. would NEVER choose a weird naming scheme.

Nokt    135
1 hour ago, Rbk_3 said:

Anyone get worse reception with the 8 vs their 6?

In the office at work I used to get 1 bar and now I get no service.

I had the same thing happen when I switched from the 5S to the 6

When I was a delivery driver for the company I work at we had to head out into the middle of nowhere, when I had my 5S I got 1-2 bars, when I upgraded I got 0. As I kept going out there though it got I eventually got service after awhile (talking a couple trips, a couple weeks at most). Idk if thats actually a thing or if AT&T just was branching out further.

Anzo    584

That review was good and reminded me of something. I was in New York last week for a wedding (in Dumbo where he shot that video coincidentally enough) and realized something about the AirPods. In my small Oregon coast town and around my state, I NEVER see people wearing those things. Prior to last weekend, I had only seen one dude wearing them in SFO a few months back. Yet around NYC, I saw them all the time, at least 100 pairs in my 5 days there. I had considered the product somewhat of a failure since they weren't exactly creating a lot of media buzz. My weekend in NYC taught me otherwise. All that to say that the AirPods are perhaps Apple's stealthiest product success ever.

ort    570

I'm starting to see people wearing AirPods around. I didn't see any for the longest time, but in the last month or two I see them all over.

Apple watches seem to be skyrocketing in popularity also. I've always seen them around, but now they are super common all over.

ort    570

So far with my wireless charging scorecard...

Night 1: I placed it on the charger and thought it was charging... didn't charge at all. Woke up to a phone at like 10% charge

Night 2: Worked fine

Night 3: Put a phone with about 10% battery left on the charger, 6 hours later it was at about 90%

What the heck?

Also, I was honestly expecting to get a big noticeable upgrade in battery life... but so far, it only seems a little better than my iPhone 6 with a brand new battery in it. This might take more time. You play with your phone a lot more the first few days.

The biggest thing for me to adjust to is this home button. I keep holding it too long and triggering Siri. Like 50% of the time. I'm not used to fast Touch ID. It's messing me up.

Anzo    584
1 hour ago, ort said:

So far with my wireless charging scorecard...

Night 1: I placed it on the charger and thought it was charging... didn't charge at all. Woke up to a phone at like 10% charge

Night 2: Worked fine

Night 3: Put a phone with about 10% battery left on the charger, 6 hours later it was at about 90%

What the heck?

Also, I was honestly expecting to get a big noticeable upgrade in battery life... but so far, it only seems a little better than my iPhone 6 with a brand new battery in it. This might take more time. You play with your phone a lot more the first few days.

The biggest thing for me to adjust to is this home button. I keep holding it too long and triggering Siri. Like 50% of the time. I'm not used to fast Touch ID. It's messing me up.

From the little I know about wireless charging, there are some pads that charge faster than others and they also depend on the power of the plug to which they are attached.

For example, I bought this dual charger for a trip I was taking and now have it attached to this wireless charger, both advertised as "fast" chargers. I haven't tested the charge rate but it is certainly faster than what you are describing. I'll get some better numbers when I charge it later today. 

RedSoxFan9    2,357

It’s pretty easy to bump the charging pad in your sleep if you keep it on your nightstand.

10 minutes ago, Anzo said:

I’m on the fence about getting a new phone this year so this makes the decision easier.  If I can’t get the X before March or April, then I might as well wait for the new iPhones in the fall.

Anzo    584

@ort

I put my phone on the aforementioned charger at 1:34 PM today with 32% charge. Just removed it at 3:48 PM with 93%.