RedSoxFan9

Apple Special Event - September 12‎ at 1 pm EDT

osxmatt    397

9to5Mac has been posting a ton of the stuff in the past 24 hours. I guess someone with the iOS 11 GM sent them a copy, and they've been datamining it. Some of the info below.

https://9to5mac.com

• the new iPhones will be called iPhone 8 iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
  • Apple Watch will have LTE, use the same number as your iPhone, carriers might offered free data plans for it, and it will be available in a new "blush gold" and the ceramic Watch Edition will be in gray
  • Pretty much all the iPhone X leaks have been accurate. No Touch ID. 5.8" full screen OLED screen. Face ID instead. Gesture based home screen access.
  • iPhone X will have True Tone Display and custom Animoji's using your face.
  • "Refreshed" AirPods

Anzo    584

I’m excited for Tuesday. The X has been having rumors about it for near 18 months now and the phone I’ve been waiting for. 

I drowned my 6 Plus by accident last September and bought the 7 Plus on the upgrade plan since I knew this was coming.  My fear is that I won’t get one for a long time due to the rumors of October release and short supply due to manufacturing issues. 

I have a gen 0 Apple Watch as well and was looking to upgrade this time around. I’ve been spending too much on costuming stuff lately though so that might have to wait until after the holidays. 

At any rate I’ll be watching on Tuesday. 

Emblazon    817

Face ID only is horrible. Accuracy in a dark setting? And those times when you just want to glance at the phone but don't want to gaze deep into Siri's eyes?

Keyser_Soze    5,621
1 hour ago, johnny said:

Wtf I like TouchID. Horrible idea by Apple if true. 

It's not an idea, from what I understand OLED technology can't utilize touch ID just yet.

TwinIon    857
9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's not an idea, from what I understand OLED technology can't utilize touch ID just yet.

They could have just put it on the back. As long as it was in a convenient spot like the Pixel has it, it's quite convenient.

It's going to be pretty funny in a year when the next iteration has Touch ID working through the screen and they're back on the "Touch ID is the best thing ever" train.

I'm most excited to finally get my hands on iOS 11 for the iPad and to see if Apple made any headway lowering the prices on 4K movies to work with their new Apple TV.

ort    570

Face ID could very well be terrible, but we'll have to wait and see.

I can see the advantages for sure if it works quickly and accurately. It should actually be better.

Anzo    584

What a cute little animated face there! :daydream:

On a practical level, I just can't see the Face ID being a better option than Touch ID. I don't want to have to hold the phone up to my face every single time. How many times have you had your phone sitting on a countertop or desk and you can just reach over and unlock it with a finger, then pick it up and use it?

I have no doubts (well, some doubts) that it will work well, but I just can't see its practicality in a lot of cases. 

Emblazon    817
1 hour ago, Anzo said:

On a practical level, I just can't see the Face ID being a better option than Touch ID. I don't want to have to hold the phone up to my face every single time. How many times have you had your phone sitting on a countertop or desk and you can just reach over and unlock it with a finger, then pick it up and use it?

I have no doubts (well, some doubts) that it will work well, but I just can't see its practicality in a lot of cases. 

Exactly. And while the fingerprint sensor is on the back for the Galaxy devices, a simple press on the Home "area" and a pattern swipe unlocks the phone. 

There's also an auto-unlock feature with Galaxy that disables the passcode based on connected devices (wearable, Bluetooth car stereo, etc.) which is a really nice convenience. 

osxmatt    397
2 hours ago, Anzo said:

This is my precise reluctance to the idea of Face ID. I hope Apple has some alternative that I haven't thought of, rather than "well just get the 8 or 8 Plus.

Anzo    584
48 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

This is my precise reluctance to the idea of Face ID. I hope Apple has some alternative that I haven't thought of, rather than "well just get the 8 or 8 Plus.

Exactly. There has to be some other way to open it more easily than this. And it better be more elegant than "Just enter your passcode instead".

That would be akin to "You're holding it wrong" and this: 

Anzo    584
16 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Sucks that the live stream has so many device restrictions.

Yeah seems a bit odd. Hey Android users look at how much better we are than you. Oh wait we won't allow you to watch it on largely anything other than an apple product. 

Anzo    584
2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

For some reason I can't get the live stream to work on Edge. I found this link on reddit that is working. 

Thanks that is working for me. 

EDIT: and this retail lady has always bothered me for some reason. 

RedSoxFan9    2,357
3 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

At least people will now know exactly where to stay away from to avoid hipsters. :lol:

Yeah I bet there will be tumbleweeds rolling through the Apple stores

TwinIon    857

It's impressive that it's basically the same size with LTE. Assuming the battery life is comparable that's quite an engineering feat. If I used an iPhone I'd probably buy an Apple Watch, though I probably wouldn't spring for the cellular version.