Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Teen marijuana use falls to 20-year low, defying legalization opponents’ predictions

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

But adult use is rising. Bolstering their predictions.

"But but but adult use might go up once you stop throwing people in prison for doing it!" has always been one of the most :rolleyes: arguments against pot legalization for me.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

"But but but adult use might go up once you stop throwing people in prison for doing it!" has always been one of the most :rolleyes: arguments against pot legalization for me.

Yeah. That's the worst argument ever. There are better arguments against pot legalization (health). But they aren't good either. Just better.

25 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

But adult use is rising. Bolstering their predictions.

What does that rise look like in terms of usage?

I ask because I am someone who has always had little interest in drugs and would probably never bother to obtain it illegally. But if I could buy some pot with little more trouble than picking up alcohol at a store I might give it a try just to see what it's like. I don't know how many would do the same, but I wonder how that type of usage would be counted because it seems like it would initially give the impression of a rise in usage but without it being long term.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I ask because I am someone who has always had little interest in drugs and would probably never bother to obtain it illegally. But if I could buy some pot with little more trouble than picking up alcohol at a store I might give it a try just to see what it's like. I don't know how many would do the same, but I wonder how that type of usage would be counted because it seems like it would initially give the impression of a rise in usage but without it being long term.

Unsure. The question for their data appears to be "Have you used marijuana in the past month?"

20 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I'd imagine there's also an uptick of people being who were using before legalization and are now willing to actually admit to it. We know there's other things where people will not tell the truth even with anonymous phone surveys.

I had a conversation with my brother-in-law last weekend about this. He is adamantly against the legalization of marijuana due to the increases of health risk and medical costs of making it widely available. He also agrees that alcohol is more dangerous, so that particular discussion doesn't really have merit when taking about this particular topic. I'm not particularly interested in weed, so don't have a big dog in the fight and my only really topic add was that I thought it shouldn't be classified as strictly as it is and I morally think if people want to do something that could potentially be adverse to their health, they should be allowed to as long as restrictions are appropriately defined. Anyone have any articles to post that would claim that legalization causes more overall good rather than harm particularly in the legalized states? I've done some research but mainly have only found articles that have biased opinion on each side.

5 minutes ago, CheeTo said:

I had a conversation with my brother-in-law last weekend about this. He is adamantly against the legalization of marijuana due to the increases of health risk and medical costs of making it widely available. He also agrees that alcohol is more dangerous, so that particular discussion doesn't really have merit when taking about this particular topic. I'm not particularly interested in weed, so don't have a big dog in the fight and my only really topic add was that I thought it shouldn't be classified as strictly as it is and I morally think if people want to do something that could potentially be adverse to their health, they should be allowed to as long as restrictions are appropriately defined. Anyone have any articles to post that would claim that legalization causes more overall good rather than harm particularly in the legalized states? I've done some research but mainly have only found articles that have biased opinion on each side.

http://time.com/money/4801768/colorado-marijuana-industry-tax-revenue/

14 hours ago, CheeTo said:

We show that the introduction of medical marijuana laws (MMLs) leads to a decrease in violent crime in states that border Mexico. The reduction in crime is strongest for counties close to the border (less than 350km), and for crimes that relate to drug trafficking. In addition, we find that MMLs in inland states lead to a reduction in crime in the nearest border state. Our results are consistent with the theory that decriminalization of the production and distribution of marijuana leads to a reduction in violent crime in markets that are traditionally controlled by Mexican drug trafficking organisations.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ecoj.12521/full

Health:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28207342 -cardiovascular

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27249330 -cardiovascular 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24947688 - lung cancer

Check out the National Academy of Science (NAS) in 2017 which reviewed the evidence on the health effects of cannabis and concluded that there is a substantial amount of evidence that cannabis is effective for chronic pain. They found moderate evidence that cannabis was not statistically associated with lung, head, neck, or mouth cancers, cancers which are commonly associated with tobacco smoke. They found no evidence for or against cannabis smoking causing cardiovascular disease, which is why I posted a couple of recent studies that covered this, although more evidence is needed before any conclusions can be drawn. I wouldn't be surprised if it raises heart disease risk over time with heavy smoking, but I doubt it is as serious as tobacco smoking.

In the end, it isn't harmless, but its health effects don't justify hundreds of thousands of arrests and handing over a multi-billion dollar industry to organized criminals. It's difficult to quantify the amount of suffering marijuana arrests alone cause overall although it is fair to say it is significant, so getting rid of needless arrests is a significant benefit alone. It looks like it is possible that auto accidents may have slightly increased in some states that legalized recreational marijuana, but traffic fatalities did not increase. More data is needed, but it seems like the increase in accidents are from fender benders and the frequency of accidents only goes up slightly.  The tax revenue collected can be used for whatever a state needs, so that's a huge benefit to any state, and the industry provides jobs for law abiding citizens. 

This chart is always kind of amazing to look at:

gr3.jpg

I wish it separated smoking cannabis from the other means of ingesting it because I'd bet that most of the harm to self is from smoke inhalation.