CayceG

Magic: The Gathering - Any players here?

30 minutes ago, P-Love said:

Do you guys know of a good LCG (Living Card Game) similar to Magic or Hearthstone?  Looking for something to play that won't take all my money!

Legend of the Five Rings and Netrunner are both pretty highly regarded LCGs.  Though Magic you can enjoy pretty well as long as you avoid certain formats.  Draft is probably the best way to enjoy the game without spending hundreds of dollars though you may do that if you go a lot of different nights.  But a few packs a night of a playing isn't bad.

I heard legends is over an hour per game and that net runner played quite different. Was looking for something more similar. Ashes looks good, but does anyone still play it?

6 hours ago, P-Love said:

I heard legends is over an hour per game and that net runner played quite different. Was looking for something more similar. Ashes looks good, but does anyone still play it?

Yes it still has a following and I believe received two deluxe expansions this year. Along the lines of what you are looking for I HIGHLY recommend Codex. For some other options I recommend  BattleCON for quick 1v1 games and Red Dragon Inn for quick group games. 

I realized a dream this weekend. 

For those of you that know, there are 9 cards in Magic the Gathering that represent the most powerful (some would say broken) spells in all of Magic's history. They are dubbed the Power 9 and include the famed Black Lotus. Recently, I've taken to playing a format called Old School, which restricts decks to using only cards printed in 1993 and 1994. The Power 9 feature prominently in this format.

And this weekend, I bought a box of Magic Collector's Edition. The CE box contains one of every card printed in Beta, including the Power 9. 

I've wanted to own Power 9 since starting the game in high school, fourteen years ago. And now, I do. 

It's in the mail to me this week. 

38 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I realized a dream this weekend. 

For those of you that know, there are 9 cards in Magic the Gathering that represent the most powerful (some would say broken) spells in all of Magic's history. They are dubbed the Power 9 and include the famed Black Lotus. Recently, I've taken to playing a format called Old School, which restricts decks to using only cards printed in 1993 and 1994. The Power 9 feature prominently in this format.

And this weekend, I bought a box of Magic Collector's Edition. The CE box contains one of every card printed in Beta, including the Power 9. 

I've wanted to own Power 9 since starting the game in high school, fourteen years ago. And now, I do. 

It's in the mail to me this week. 

I have four OG Black Lotus :P

I played a lot of magic growing up. I still buy boxes of boosters for every series, but last time I checked, I had 30 or so unopened boxes of cards. Just no time to play, and nobody to play with. I can't even find time for our regular D&D game these last two years. 

Just now, apoc81 said:

I have four OG Black Lotus :P

I played a lot of magic growing up. I still buy boxes of boosters for every series, but last time I checked, I had 30 or so unopened boxes of cards. Just no time to play, and nobody to play with. I can't even find time for our regular D&D game these last two years. 

FOUR?

Dude. You have literally thousands of dollars in those four. Prices have gone insane. Sell that shit and get paid. 

Just now, CayceG said:

FOUR?

Dude. You have literally thousands of dollars in those four. Prices have gone insane. Sell that shit and get paid. 

Meh, i'm not really in need of selling them. The prices aren't going to drop on them. 

That's also true. 

It's part of why I bought this set of CE. The prices won't be going down. And if they're made legal in Vintage, the prices will increase. 

I read the other day mint condition alpha or beta Lotuses go for anywhere from 15k-25k. 

So yeah, 4 of them.

Finally got my Commander deck put together (UB Mill).  It can't win in a multiplayer pod because there's no way I'm milling multiple 99 card decks, but it'll be fun and janky to play. :P

Now just gotta decide if I want Oona or Mirko Vosk to be my commander.

5 hours ago, Slug said:

Finally got my Commander deck put together (UB Mill).  It can't win in a multiplayer pod because there's no way I'm milling multiple 99 card decks, but it'll be fun and janky to play. :P

Now just gotta decide if I want Oona or Mirko Vosk to be my commander.

I highly suggest Oona since she gives you a strong alternate win con of going wide.

12 hours ago, CayceG said:

I got my Power in. I'm so excited.

coeZ8rK.jpg

Won't lie; I'm a little jealous.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:14 PM, osxmatt said:

I read the other day mint condition alpha or beta Lotuses go for anywhere from 15k-25k. 

So yeah, 4 of them.

Mine are alpha. They are in my wall safe, I'm thinking about checking to see if I can have them graded (they are in mint condition, in special glass bolt down cases). But for now, I have no reason to sell.