CayceG

Magic: The Gathering - Any players here?

Hey all. 

So I know MTG isn't technically a tabletop since it's a CCG, but I figured this is the easiest place this could go. 

I wanted to make this post and see if anyone else on D1P played. Casually, online, in tournaments, professionally--whatever. I don't want to bother wading through the cesspool that is Reddit if I don't have to, and if there are people here that play I can discuss the game with. 

I was a player back from like 2001-2006 (Odyssey through Ravnica) and then put it away in college and my early professional years. But now I'm just now getting back into it. Good lord, things have changed. 

Anyway, if you're a Magic player in any capacity, I'd like to hear from you and chat about it. 

This amount of nerdiness is hard to divulge in real life. :P 

I used to run MTGNews if you are familiar with that? Also @Chairslinger was a prominent member of the community until he moved over to the IGN forums. I used to play Vintage and now focus mostly on Legacy for constructed. As for limited I wreck sealed tournaments on a regular basis but I am pretty fucking terrible at drafting. I started when The Dark came out and I took a small break from Masque to Invasion (Masque block was TERRIBLE) and I've been on hiatus for a few blocks but Ixalan looks like it will get me back in (if it doesn't I am sure the return to Dominaria next year will). I usually play unusual decks in constructed of my own design so I don't have many top 8's there but I hope the brew I am currently stewing will get me some more!

I've played off and on. Haven't played in a couple of years. Want to get back into it, but I don't want spend all that money on competitive decks. 

I should change this forum's title to include CCGs as well :thinking:
No need IMO. CCGs are tabletops too. :)

And to answer the OP..yes I do! Detailed answer later!

- Slug

Just now, Slug said:

No need IMO. CCGs are tabletops too. :)

And to answer the OP..yes I do! Detailed answer later!

- Slug

Too late, I already did it :P

I've been thinking about getting into it for a while. I've been way into Hearthstone since it launched, and Magic seems like the next logical step beyond that. I would probably go the online route, since the likelihood of me actually going to a place and playing face to face with other people is about 0. 

15 hours ago, CayceG said:

Anyway, if you're a Magic player in any capacity, I'd like to hear from you and chat about it.

OK, so I've been playing Magic since around Fallen Empires (1994).  It's a great game.  I've played in dozens of tournaments over the years, though I've won exactly zero of them (my most recent being a semi-final round exit in the Peasant Magic tournament at GenCon).  I played standard until the end of Urza's block which basically turned me off of constructed due to the high ramp-up of cost to build competitive decks and the nature of the format back then (combo heavy, turn 2 wins...it wasn't fun).  Since then 99% of my play time is dedicated to booster drafts, which is my favorite format.  It puts everyone on a level playing field, money wise and really highlights one's deck-building skills while adding a sub-layer of draft strategy.

In any case yeah.  Been forever since I've seriously played constructed, but I love limited formats and try to enter booster draft and sealed deck events as often as I can manage.

I haven't played Magic since I was 12 but was really into it at the time. I'm more of a Hearthstone guy, which I realize is MTG lite but still scratches that itch. I wouldn't even know where to begin with Magic now. 

1 hour ago, Anzo said:

I wouldn't even know where to begin with Magic now. 

Booster drafts! :P

1 hour ago, Slug said:

OK, so I've been playing Magic since around Fallen Empires (1994).  It's a great game.  I've played in dozens of tournaments over the years, though I've won exactly zero of them (my most recent being a semi-final round exit in the Peasant Magic tournament at GenCon).  I played standard until the end of Urza's block which basically turned me off of constructed due to the high ramp-up of cost to build competitive decks and the nature of the format back then (combo heavy, turn 2 wins...it wasn't fun).  Since then 99% of my play time is dedicated to booster drafts, which is my favorite format.  It puts everyone on a level playing field, money wise and really highlights one's deck-building skills while adding a sub-layer of draft strategy.

In any case yeah.  Been forever since I've seriously played constructed, but I love limited formats and try to enter booster draft and sealed deck events as often as I can manage.

And yeah, the Urza's block is my favorite and least favorite because of how ungodly powerful it was. 

I don't do drafts. I suck at it, and limited isn't my ideal thing because I don't really want to bother with them being outdated in a year. 

My big deal is net-decking. Basically looking up good decks and what's winning tourneys, cross referencing that with my collection, and putting something together that I think will be fun. So we're kinda the exact opposite :P

I'm really getting into pauper though. All commons still means there are amazing cards out there, AND it's dirt cheap. 

Do any of you guys play MTG Online? I don't know if it would be worth it to get into that just for the player pool. And I'm apprehensive based on the idea that I wouldn't actually be able to redeem cards for decks I buy, unless it's for newly released sets.

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I've been thinking about getting into it for a while. I've been way into Hearthstone since it launched, and Magic seems like the next logical step beyond that. I would probably go the online route, since the likelihood of me actually going to a place and playing face to face with other people is about 0. 

You only hurt yourself not going out and playing at a local store.  Granted don't go to one known for competitive assholes, but at least find a local store that has some casual people you can just sit down and have fun with.  Part of the fun of playing at tabletop is the socialization that you just can't get over and online connection.

As for myself playing Magic, I don't, but it's not like I wouldn't mind playing some Draft.  Just more of I don't have the time to do it as 3 days are locked to 40k, D&D, and Malifaux to where I don't have much time to get into it.

Yeah. I've been apprehensive about sitting down at my game store just because I'm afraid of getting whomped by a super-competitive high school kid with a $2,000 deck. :P

BUT! That doesn't mean I shouldn't. And some friends of mine are making decks, and I'm making enough to outfit my friends with decks too. So at any rate, the circle of friends I have is probably going to be able to sustain itself based on my decks alone :P 

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

Yeah. I've been apprehensive about sitting down at my game store just because I'm afraid of getting whomped by a super-competitive high school kid with a $2,000 deck. :P

This is partly why I gave up constructed almost entirely.  Net-decking and 4 $ figure rare+ decks make being competitive a nightmare from a resources commitment standpoint.  Nobody has to learn build strategy or mana curves or synergies.  Nobody has to think critically and come up with new ways to make cards and combos interact.  You just copy a winning deck list from the Internet and spend a paycheck on the rares.  It's not fun. :/

With booster drafts everyone has the same level of investment, and your draft strategy and deck-building skills come into play.  You have to think.  To be really good at it you have to study the game.  You can't net-deck a booster draft.  You see combos and synergies that you'd never see in constructed and they *work*.  It's great.

Oh yeah. They changed the rules pretty significantly after 6th edition. And some other things have changed since then too (Legends rule, for one). 

I mean, they changed the rules to clarify shit like how the stack resolves and such like that, but the basic flow of the game hasn't really changed.  If you knew how to play back in Mirage block it won't be substantially different now I think,

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

Well... Planeswalkers are a card now. I'm still not into that. I refuse to spend money on a planeswalker in any deck of mine.

Yeah the addition of Planeswalkers is new.  I've personally never used one, though I have drafted a couple (got a Lilli once, drafted a Nicol Bolas in a draft last week) just because I thought they looked cool.

Yeah, I get that it's basically just a guaranteed sorcery that does a thing every so often. And it's another target for attacking creatures. idk. I won't really bother with them.

Maybe I'll see if I can get into a draft of Ixalan, the new set. I mean... pirates and dinosaurs. What more could you want?

On 8/31/2017 at 12:53 PM, Slug said:

This is partly why I gave up constructed almost entirely.  Net-decking and 4 $ figure rare+ decks make being competitive a nightmare from a resources commitment standpoint.  Nobody has to learn build strategy or mana curves or synergies.  Nobody has to think critically and come up with new ways to make cards and combos interact.  You just copy a winning deck list from the Internet and spend a paycheck on the rares.  It's not fun. :/

With booster drafts everyone has the same level of investment, and your draft strategy and deck-building skills come into play.  You have to think.  To be really good at it you have to study the game.  You can't net-deck a booster draft.  You see combos and synergies that you'd never see in constructed and they *work*.  It's great.

I feel you can still totally innovate outside of Standard it is just that most people prefer to play "the best deck" even though a lot of the times the best deck is just the hive mind's idea of what the best deck is. Legacy is probably the easiest format to play stuff out of the norm and succeed considering right now the "best deck" is considered to be Grixis Delver variant yet you end up with top 8's like this:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?event_ID=36&t[T3]=3&start_date=2017-10-29&end_date=2017-10-29&state=DC&city=Washington&order_1=finish&limit=8&t_num=1&action=Show+Decks

All completely different decks and the winning deck being the cheapest deck in the format. The following week:

http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?event_ID=36&t[T3]=3&start_date=2017-11-19&end_date=2017-11-19&state=MD&city=Baltimore&order_1=finish&limit=8&t_num=1&action=Show+Decks

Grixis Delver showed up in force here but the top deck was another one of the cheaper decks in the format (damn Lion's Eye Diamond and it's hefty price tag). There is plenty of room for innovation with a couple newer decks placing well and still plenty of room for innovation.

I'm not into Magic, but I recently got into Eternal, which is made by Magic pros and apparently is pretty similar.

I quit Hearthstone for several reasons, despite it being my first card game of any type. Top among the list were netdecks making ranked really boring. Limited interactivity, too much RNG, too many OHKO combos, too many decks that could ignore the board completely, the game becoming a topdeck nonsense-fest after turn 6 or 7, etc.

Eternal seems a lot better than Hearthstone, but I really dislike how it carried over the land system from Magic. I think the system is inherently flawed if you draw land and creatures from the same pile of cards. People say you can "build around it," but really if you're not stuffing your deck full of nothing but 2 cost creatures (since you're guaranteed at least 2 power) then RNG is going to eventually fuck you over. But even if it doesn't, it usually fucks your opponent over instead.

I don't think the answer is blanket power gain every turn like in Hearthstone, the idea of two people at different levels of mana is cool and makes the game interesting. But there has to be some failsafes so no one spends an entire game with a hand full of creatures and spells and zero mana... or like a single creature and then nothing but mana for literally 10+ turns in a row. That can happen even at minimum mana in a deck, and card draw is suuuuper limited, with most cards only replacing themselves at best.

I dunno, I feel like there needs to be a speed up mechanic, the longer the game goes on, maybe you start drawing two cards per turn, or perhaps having all cards work like a modified version of Shaman's Overload from Hearthstone; where you can play a minion up to 1 mana less than your opponent's max mana provided you have no power in hand, but you can't play anything else with a cost until you pay off that debt. Something to get you SOME kind of presence in the event where you're totally screwed. Even if it keeps you at a distinct and severe disadvantage, it keeps you alive to make the game more interesting. Rolling over someone sucks, and being rolled over sucks, too. The satisfying games are where no one is flooded or screwed.

With a physical game like Magic, I understand why such systems would muck it up and be too complex or confusing, but in an online card game where the rules are handled by the computer, I think it could be a good compromise.

I know this isn't REALLY about Magic, but I dunno where else to talk about it, just like you. And I think discussions about mana/land/power can be fun even cross-game!

I absolutely hated Hearthstone but Eternal is a nice in between of Hearthstone and MTG. Another game that has lands but uses AI to make your draws a little better is Hex which has a large single player campaign that is totally free to play. Along the lines of getting new resources every turn is Duelyst but it adds in a few mana tile's on the map you can fight over to play stuff earlier. Faeria has a unique mana system being that you play tiles that aren't drawn from your deck and you can save mana over turns. TLDR, play Hex for a great PC like MTG, play Eternal for a more interactive Hearthstone, played Duelyst for an SRPG ccg hybrid or play Faeria for a board game ccg hybrid.

So my friend introduced me to Commander/EDH format and I am all on board. It's super fun.

- Slug

I recently got into Star Wars Destiny, another CCG.  I am struggling to keep up with the monetary investment even though I really like the game.  I am guessing Magic would be even worse.

So since posting this thread, things have changed for me. 

I'm out of Legacy even though I have my staple legacy cards and still have a few legal (but not competitive) decks. I've transitioned to Pauper (all commons) and Old School (cards from 93 and 94). 

Old School is amazing. It's all the old cards I remember from back in the day and none of the overcomplicated interactions inherent with Modern or Legacy. So now I'm building a collection and making decks there. 

And I'm about to buy an entire set of Collectors Edition for use in Old School! That means I'm finally going to own a set of the Power Nine!

So since posting this thread, things have changed for me. 

I'm out of Legacy even though I have my staple legacy cards and still have a few legal (but not competitive) decks. I've transitioned to Pauper (all commons) and Old School (cards from 93 and 94). 

Old School is amazing. It's all the old cards I remember from back in the day and none of the overcomplicated interactions inherent with Modern or Legacy. So now I'm building a collection and making decks there. 
And I'm about to buy an entire set of Collectors Edition for use in Old School! That means I'm finally going to own a set of the Power Nine!
Dude I play peasant (all Commons and up to 5 uncommons) and it's wonderful. Some of the interactions and tech you see are great and the variety is refreshing. I have suicide black and a stompy-style green peasant decks that are super fun.

- Slug

29 minutes ago, Slug said:

Dude I play peasant (all Commons and up to 5 uncommons) and it's wonderful. Some of the interactions and tech you see are great and the variety is refreshing. I have suicide black and a stompy-style green peasant decks that are super fun.

- Slug

That's awesome! I love Pauper too. It's dirt cheap compared to Legacy (and certainly Old School) so I can make 4-5 decks and just play whatever with my friends. 

Right now, I'm running a G/W Bogles deck (hexproof creatures and pump enchantments), G/B stompy that uses sacrifice mechanics and recurring creatures to get really big creatures, a pretty standard R/G aggro deck, and I'm in the process of making mono blue Delver and U/R Kiln Fiend Blitz.

I'd love to make a deck around Tortured Existence. That looks like a fun piece of tech. 

Do you guys know of a good LCG (Living Card Game) similar to Magic or Hearthstone?  Looking for something to play that won't take all my money!

CCGs are really all I play these days. I played Magic back in 2002-2005 but fell out of it as I entered my early 20s.

I started playing Hearthstone about 2 years ago and have played daily since then. About 6 months ago I got pretty tired of the meta continuing to push forward with aggro and RNG, and decided to add other games in to the mix (still play Hearthstone daily).

I've played Elder Scrolls Legends pretty much everyday for the past 6 months. It has Hearthstone level polish, but a wide range of viable decks. The multiple lane game board is also a really interesting/enjoyable wrinkle.

About a month ago I decided to try out Eternal and really like it. It's definitely the most generous game I've come across. Free packs and cards everywhere. It has a lot of similar mechanics to MTG. However, the mechanics are so similar to MTG, I decided it might be time to revisit MTG. I've been playing Duels (even though it's being discontinued) everyday on the go, and at home logged back in to my MTGO account. Also signed up and got in to the upcoming MTG Arena closed beta starting December 4th.

Long story short, if anyone plays Hearthstone, Elder Scrolls Legends, Eternal, Magic Duels, or MTGO, add me!