VRR support coming to PS5 this week

SaysWho?

8ad72dfdd21b9bf7f5e3c32345c8a4f6b099a76e
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

VRR support is coming to Call of Duty: Vanguard, Destiny 2, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Resident Evil Village, and more.

In the coming weeks, the PS5 versions of these titles will receive game patches enabling VRR support:

Astro’s Playroom
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Destiny 2
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
DIRT 5
Godfall
Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Resident Evil Village
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
Tribes of Midgard

These are just a few of the PS5 titles receiving VRR support and we’d like to thank their talented development teams. Please stay tuned to their channels for updates as you’ll have the best experience with VRR once their game patches are live.

As an added option, you can also choose to apply VRR to PS5 games that don’t support it. This feature may improve video quality for some games. If this results in any unexpected visual effects, you can turn off this option at any time. Please note that results may vary depending on the TV you’re using, the game you’re playing, and the visual mode you’ve selected for a particular game (if it supports multiple modes). For more details on VRR settings, check out this page: https://www.playstation.com/support/hardware/ps5-4k-resolution-guide.

• SaysWho? changed the title to VRR support coming to PS5 this week

It’s out, the VRR support-thing uncaps the framerate and you can attempt to “force it” in unsupported titles. It’s worth forcing it, as VRR has benefits beyond unlocked framerates: it can make lower fps appear smoother since the refresh rate is matching the rendered fps. Does this make 30fps (assuming your TVs VRR goes down to 30hz) look like 60fps…? Lololol no, but it looks a heck of a lot smoother than non-VRR 30fps.

ALSO: Miles Morales (and, I assume, Spider-Man PS5) got a 40fps mode like Ratchet & Clank

The LGC1 83" loves both these consoles, wow just WOW!

The plan was to hook the PS5 and XSX up just for like a preview period to adjust settings etc and then move them to the game room's LGCX 65" as their permanent home, thus so far an epic fail as they look so fantastic out there I'm thinking new consoles for the game room would be AWESOME!. Ridiculous I know I hate how my head works. New consoles wouldn't go over well with the Wife either, and it's not like I have thousands to just spend on consoles right now, or that I could find them easily either.

These Oleds really live up to their Hype. Purdy eye candy! The LGC1 though has the 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos / DTS HD sound system backing it all up too so it's really pretty fantastic. This is the first time I don't find myself looking to the future and how great they can get, I feel we are there and then some. Of course the next consoles down the line will be 8k / 4k 60htz minimum and that's insane to think, but really I have never ever wanted a 8k TV, don't care in the least. Other than having the option to maybe play any game in 4k / 120 easily {A REALLY big jump really} it's now all really fine details and smaller enhancements that can make our overall experiences that much more impactful. I feel we ARE THERE meaning how you I could've ever ever hoped for or dreamed / imagined and it's awesome! As an MUCH OLDER gamer what a ride these past 35 years have been. I can still remember unwrapping our Atari 2600 and being over the moon excited. Or as a long time PC gamer, thinking back to my days with an APPLE 2e in my garage to play with {a Loaner from my step dad's work}  and going to the local PC store and choosing a game off the shelf like CHOP LIFTER and LODE RUNNER. Way before I ever heard of a mouse, staring at that green flickering 13" monitor in in the late 70's. As an 8year then, It's crazy to think young kids out there will have the XSX and / or PS5 as THEIR FIRST CONSOLES!! How do you imagine / or dream of anything starting from these consoles?!!

What a crazy thought and my rant is now over, feel free to criticize and Diss my walk down memory lane, the road getting us to this point has been really fun to be apart of. Yea there will be better, faster, etc but these consoles and PC GPU's are just CRAZY bad ass......

Oh yea and........

VRR is awesome :D

Bring on my 4080Ti no matter when I get there to put that inevitable cherry on top it all . . . lol 

• True 1

I would like to see VRR in action sometime. Might be a few more years until I buy a tv that supports it though. This gen feels messy to me when it comes to graphical features. Like in Rocket League if I enable 120hz mode, it disables HDR. I don't remember if that's a game/engine issue or a console issue.  I miss when the console did all the work and the tv was just the screen. Now I feel like you need to buy a new tv every few years if you want to keep up.

20 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I would like to see VRR in action sometime. Might be a few more years until I buy a tv that supports it though. This gen feels messy to me when it comes to graphical features. Like in Rocket League if I enable 120hz mode, it disables HDR. I don't remember if that's a game/engine issue or a console issue.  I miss when the console did all the work and the tv was just the screen. Now I feel like you need to buy a new tv every few years if you want to keep up.

Ideally if vrr is working correctly you won’t see it in action at all! :D

It is a tough time especially if you are also into high end audio with a receiver in the mix. Hdmi 2.1 stuff is all still pretty new but it’s getting better.

On pc/tv vrr can be hit or miss for me. If the game plays at 90+ it’s largely fine but some things, usually when it’s closer to 60, flicker annoyingly or have this weird ghosting thing where the screen brightens when you turn the camera. It’s very weird and I haven’t figured out exactly what it is beyond turning off vrr makes it go away. 

Overall it’s great stuff though, it’s just options at this time, and tv tech has largely remained the same for too long imo and we were due some nice upgrades and the move towards 120/vrr that monitors have had for a long time.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

4 hours ago, stepee said:

Ideally if vrr is working correctly you won’t see it in action at all! :D

Yeah basically this. The best way to see it in action is to watch a streamer who has it on. Since it won't affect your monitor you'll see the frame dips and tearing and the streamer won't notice it. :p

5 hours ago, Joe said:

How do I know if my cables are 2.1? I mean they’re probably not:

Some receivers have a built in test you can run, otherwise you can go into your PS5’s settings to check which supported modes are listed - if you have VRR and 120hz available, you likely have a 2.1 cable connected. The cable the PS5 came with is a 2.1 cable 

• Thanks 1

48 seems may be a hardware limitation on PS5, not sure if they can fix it through software. XSX allows down to 40 minimum. Looks like VRR titles below 48fps still get uncapped framerates, though, as Spider-Man/Miles Morales in fidelity mode with VRR seems to hover around 44-45fps instead of the locked 40fps without VRR, highs seemed to be in the low 50s, but those were fleeting.