Activison-Blizzard sees 33% YoY decline in CoD engagement, 19% for Blizzard properties

crispy4000

• crispy4000 changed the title to Activison-Blizzard sees 33% YoY decline in CoD engagement, 19% for Blizzard properties
5 minutes ago, legend said:

I haven't played a single CoD since the very first Modern Warfare. It battles me that people still churn out money for this series year over year.

I buy one every 4 years or so, and I end up playing them less and less. Ironically(?), the one COD thing I’ve played the most in the last decade is the one I didn’t spend any money on: Warzone! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, legend said:

I haven't played a single CoD since the very first Modern Warfare. It battles me that people still churn out money for this series year over year.

People enjoy different things than you. It’s really not that baffling. 

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:
vanguard.jpg
WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Modest revenue growth at King offset by 49% drop from Activision, 43% decline from Blizzard as MAUs hit new lows

Only CoD mobile held static.  You'd think the scandals factored in, but it could just be waning interest in CoD generally.

Warzone is all a lot of CoD players need now, so unless you care enough to be able to level guns quickly, there was no need to buy Vanguard.

I saw this coming as soon as Warzone launched.  Traditional PvP modes are nowhere near as popular as BR's and CS:GO/Valorant game types.  If people can play Warzone they don't need to buy regular CoD PvP.  Going forward I'd guarantee they find more ways to link buying CoD to more Warzone benefits, like unique skins you can only get if you own the yearly CoD, discounts on skins, ect.

It's why I thought Halo needed a BR at launch.  Old school respawn PvP just isn't what a lot of gamers are looking for long term anymore.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

People enjoy different things than you. It’s really not that baffling. 

I'm not baffled because people enjoy different things. I'm baffled because it feels like a very "produced" game that's just looking for a money grab rather than crafting a game for its own sake.

27 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm not baffled because people enjoy different things. I'm baffled because it feels like a very "produced" game that's just looking for a money grab rather than crafting a game for its own sake.

Sorry you feel that way. Maybe get out of your feels. 

47 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Warzone is declining too though, as the article says.  Only mobile has held steady.  That suggests CoD’s problems go beyond BR/PVP divides.  I bet a good number of people actually migrated to Halo last year.

Part of that maybe true, but as RC said, the newer map was not well received, and going back to WW2 stuff also wasn't popular.  They seemed to have corrected some since then.  Also rolling over pandemic numbers which saw a lot of these companies putting up record numbers.

I think MW2 numbers this year will be pretty huge again, especially with new Warzone coming alongside it.

• True 1

None of this shocks me. I suspect there's a certain amount of COD fatigue, and Blizzard hasn't put out anything new for quite a while.

I haven't been part of the COD audience for years, but I don't really know what they could do to reverse this trend.

Blizzard just needs to release new stuff to get their numbers back up. Immortal will help, though who knows how much effect it'll have on the long term.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Warzone is declining too though, as the article says.  Only mobile has held steady.  That suggests CoD’s problems go beyond BR/PVP divides.  I bet a good number of people actually migrated to Halo last year.

Halo Infinite is dead, so the CoD players didn't go there. Not permanently anyway. 

MS really, really screwed up with Halo again. They should have just admitted that they needed another year, and bit the bullet. It's extremely content light, and so far they've added almost nothing.

It's not shocking that people are burning out on CoD, and Blizzard hasn't released a new game in almost a decade. If they can get overwatch 2 or D4 out, and its giod, Blizzard will be fine.

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Didn't they fuck up Warzone and a lot of people stopped playing because of it? That could account for the decline and now they are making a Warzone 2, which I said was dumb but @Brick said was smart and maybe they are holding out for that.

The developers themselves admit that Warzone is "broken"

warzone-pacific-gula.jpeg
CHARLIEINTEL.COM

Three of Activision's top developers have admitted that they "f**ked stuff up" with Warzone, but are intent on fixing issues.

52 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The developers themselves admit that Warzone is "broken"

warzone-pacific-gula.jpeg
CHARLIEINTEL.COM

Three of Activision's top developers have admitted that they "f**ked stuff up" with Warzone, but are intent on fixing issues.

Also from what I understand tons of hackers as well.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Halo Infinite is dead, so the CoD players didn't go there. Not permanently anyway. 

MS really, really screwed up with Halo again. They should have just admitted that they needed another year, and bit the bullet. It's extremely content light, and so far they've added almost nothing.

They've done a poor job maintaining their momentum, so you could be right.  But Halo did overtake Warzone's player count last year, and maintained that lead comfortably through February at the least on Xbox platforms.

• Halal 1