Sign in to follow this  
Wild

Seen a lot of Walkng Dead hate lately, what gives?

Wild    551

I was reading an article about the new season a week ago and decided to catch up, but noticed lots of hate going on in comments. I should caveat I am a season behind thanks to Netflix, so I've had one rather awesome scene Jeffrey Dean Morgan and nothing from season 7 yet. Is S7 terrible, or was there supposed to be something wrong with 6 too? Is it just the season cliffhangers that are bothering people? They kinda ruined Carol, and I don't care much for Morgan, but otherwise I'm satisfied with the show so far.

Wild    551
43 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Show is awful now man. The most recent season had the lowest ratings since season 2. It probably plays better if you binge it, but watching it week to week is almost an exercise in masochism. 

heh, binging definitely helps I guess. I saw the Glenn arc in one sitting so I can imagine it was a pain. I guess I don't understand what would make the show better?

skillzdadirecta    1,714
1 minute ago, Wild said:

heh, binging definitely helps I guess. I saw the Glenn arc in one sitting so I can imagine it was a pain. I guess I don't understand what would make the show better?

Better writing? Less reliance on cheap, easy to see gimmicks? Respecting the viewer's intelligence? Not dragging storylines out longer than they need to, not introducing ridiculous characters like the Trash Folk... I can keep going.

Wild    551

:lol: Who are the trash folk? The people with the Ws?

Maybe I just have low expectations on my zombie tv shows. I think it's fine. As long as survivors keep dying week to week I'm good.

skillzdadirecta    1,714
2 minutes ago, Wild said:

:lol: Who are the trash folk? The people with the Ws?

Maybe I just have low expectations on my zombie tv shows. I think it's fine. As long as survivors keep dying week to week I'm good.

Oh you haven't met the trash folk yet! Check back with me when you do ;)

The Walking Dead Comic is SOOOOO much better than the show and there is a lot of other zombie fiction that is better too. 

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Not dragging storylines out longer than they need to, not introducing ridiculous characters like the Trash Folk... I can keep going.

indeed what should be resolved in an episode or two gets dragged out for an entire season and the trash people are...well trash. 

Wild    551
41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The Walking Dead Comic is SOOOOO much better than the show and there is a lot of other zombie fiction that is better too. 

Heh, I was bummed that I couldn't start S7 immediately because I want to know who got the end of JDM's bat, but maybe I don't need to rush into it, lol. Trash People certainly doesn't sound great.

Emblazon    777
2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Better writing? Less reliance on cheap, easy to see gimmicks? Respecting the viewer's intelligence? Not dragging storylines out longer than they need to, not introducing ridiculous characters like the Trash Folk... I can keep going.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You are exactly on point in this thread. :clap:

skillzdadirecta    1,714

While the show never reached Game of Thrones or Hannibal levels of quality TV, it had potential to do so. Now I watch it with the same expectations that I have for The Strain on FX or Ash vs Evil Dead on Starz... the difference is those two shows don't take themselves nearly as seriously as TWD does which makes their shortcomings far more forgivable and the show themselves more enjoyable. The Walking Dead and it's spinoff Fear The Walking Dead intend for you to watch them as serious human dramas with this fantastic element attached... yet they are both written with thinly defined characters and hackneyed plots.

The Walking Dead has GREAT source material to work from yet they STILL manage to fuck things up... The ruined The Governor, COMPLETELY missing the point on what made that character so great in the comics (he was basically an evil politician akin to Hitler who manipulated others to do his dirty work and not a physical rival to Rick) and they've managed to turn Negan into a sneering, moustache twirling cartoon character with the depth of Snidely Whiplash. If you want a better genre show about the collapse of civilization during incredible events, watch THE MIST. That show has surpassed TWD in three quarters of a season.

Wild    551
1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

While the show never reached Game of Thrones or Hannibal levels of quality TV, it had potential to do so. Now I watch it with the same expectations that I have for The Strain on FX or Ash vs Evil Dead on Starz...

That would explain it. I've always viewed the Walking Dead like that. It was never high drama for me. The backlash makes more sense now.

skillzdadirecta    1,714
1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

Ash vs Evil Dead is a GREAT fucking show. 

Part of what makes it good is that it knows what it is and doesn't take itself seriously AT ALL.  I didn't watch the second season but it wasn't terrible... I wouldn't go so far as to say it was great though.

Emblazon    777
Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Part of what makes it good is that it knows what it is and doesn't take itself seriously AT ALL.  I didn't watch the second season but it wasn't terrible... I wouldn't go so far as to say it was great though.

It's better than any of the source material, and considering two thirds of that is considered to be classic, I'd say that's one hell of a feat. 

skillzdadirecta    1,714
5 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

It's better than any of the source material, and considering two thirds of that is considered to be classic, I'd say that's one hell of a feat. 

Well it also has the benefit of being a televison series telling the story over the course of multiple episodes and season with a budget higher than any of the previous movies so... it SHOULD be better.

Emblazon    777
33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well it also has the benefit of being a televison series telling the story over the course of multiple episodes and season with a budget higher than any of the previous movies so... it SHOULD be better.

So, then what's Ridley Scott's excuse? :P

Emblazon    777
2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's senile? I just watched ALIENS yesterday on cable... such an awesome movie. Shame where that series ended up.

What's really depressing is that Prometheus is watchable and remotely decent when placed next to Covenant. 

Jason    5,982
On 8/12/2017 at 4:47 PM, Emblazon said:

The show has been meandering and horrible since episode 2. 

Of season 1. 

Season 1 would have been fine if the show had actually gone anywhere in season 2. I liked season 1 while watching it but now, knowing it doesn't go anywhere, it's retroactively worse.