Sign in to follow this  
cusideabelincoln

What programs do you game developers use?

chakoo    286

Different developers use different tools but for high end development the common choice is:

2D: Photoshop, Illustrator, Predominately adobe products.

3D: Mostly 3ds max or Maya, both Autodesk software. Some will do high res sculpting in ZBrush

The above suit of tools are not cheap, so a lot of smaller studio or indie studios might use some of the tools or use alternatives:
2D: Gimp, Corel Draw
3D: Blender

Question for you, what are you looking to do or accomplish?

A high school teacher asked me to find out what tools are being used.  She's considering asking for the software as an introduction to video game design - from an art perspective.  Knowledge in computer aided graphics in general is the big thing here, and getting those assets into an interactive game is another step in the process which may not be relevant for what she wants to do.

chakoo    286

She should maybe try reaching out to the respective companies to see if they don't offer a cheaper rate for education. If not, the software will probably be too expensive. 

As for getting assets into a game/framework. I think for her setup as an intro into building games, her best bet is Unity3D. It's an easy framework/platform to get assets in and to learn the basics on plus there are tons and tons of youtube tutorials on getting started with. 

mo1518    551
6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

A high school teacher asked me to find out what tools are being used.  She's considering asking for the software as an introduction to video game design - from an art perspective.  Knowledge in computer aided graphics in general is the big thing here, and getting those assets into an interactive game is another step in the process which may not be relevant for what she wants to do.

Autodesk (the company that makes 3DS Max & Maya) has an educational license program. If your teacher checks out their education license portal on their site, she can arrange to get free licenses. You just need proof of being an instructor or student and you can use the software for free. 

Blender is completely free and it's a really great program (I prefer it to 3DS max, mainly due to the UI). The downside is that you will never see an industry job listing looking for someone with blender experience, its always max or maya. But free is free, and because it's free there's an incredible amount of free beginner blender tutorials out there. 

As for 2D stuff, gimp is free, Photoshop is not, but maybe your school already has an Adobe license program? 

Unity gets shit on a lot, but it's a free game engine that does both 3D and 2D sprite projects, a good place to test out your finished projects. Same with blender - it's free and there's lots of resources and free assets on the unity asset store, and it's surprising how much you can do in there without writing a single line of code.

As for the workflow from getting your idea turned into a game asset, there are countless tutorials on YouTube, udemy and even the softwares' official websites to get you started. Watch a few and you'll get some good insight into how to get from A to B depending on the program you end up using. 

Good luck. Wish I had the opportunity to start learning this stuff back when I was in high school. We had to content ourselves with sneaking doom shareware onto the shitty pc lab machines. 

misfit410    829

For 2D assets I would suggest checking out krita (it's freeware that is Adobe quality and not shitty like gimp).

For 3d assets Blender takes time to learn but once you have it down it's insanely flexible (even has a built in game engine for testing assets)

chakoo    286
On 8/7/2017 at 11:10 PM, XxEvil AshxX said:

When I was in school for 3D Animation it was 3D Studio MAX.

...but then again we also learned about low poly modeling so that our games would run well, and Quake III Arena and OG Counter-Strike were our go-to examples :P

Fuck I'm getting old. 

If you go to school for 3d modeling now you'll still end up being taught max. The only change is they probably won't teach you XSI or Maya anymore but might also cover Z-Brush.

We're all getting old. My first commercial game came out at the start of 2002 for gba. In 5 years my work will get co-ops who weren't even born when I started working. :epilepsy:

Scape Zero    814
On 8/5/2017 at 5:08 PM, chakoo said:

Different developers use different tools but for high end development the common choice is:

2D: Photoshop, Illustrator, Predominately adobe products.

3D: Mostly 3ds max or Maya, both Autodesk software. Some will do high res sculpting in ZBrush

The above suit of tools are not cheap, so a lot of smaller studio or indie studios might use some of the tools or use alternatives:
2D: Gimp, Corel Draw
3D: Blender

Question for you, what are you looking to do or accomplish?

InkScape is also a great alternative to Illustrator.

chakoo    286
6 minutes ago, Scape Zero said:

InkScape is also a great alternative to Illustrator.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.