Sign in to follow this  
Nightpain

If I buy a Macbook will my (cyber) life be better?

Nightpain    99

So this laptop seems like it's dying. Basically every year and a half/two years I buy the same computer, a $120 Toshiba/Windows. It's a fine computer and all that, but I always fuck it up by being a no good web surfer who is also careless and soon enough the thing is loaded with viruses and things and then god knows I have no idea how to get rid of them and finally the thing just starts to slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow into comatose state.

So I heard Macs don't get viruses, and that they're ultra-reliable and the things don't get the general slowdown that windows OS' experience after x amount of use. They're quite the fashion, anyway. I bought an iPhone for my first smartphone last year and I like it fine; does good work, yes yes.
But as for laptops... I mean, for me, a lazy dunce who will absolutely never take the time and effort to model my computer fit and up to shape, is a Macbook a solid purchase? Will I be able to score 5+ years of usage out of it (Which I better, for the price!!!!)? And never worry that I destroy the thing because I wanted to watch pirated online copies of old Universal monster movies (which is where I'm nearly sure this last big virus came from)?

Or is a macbook just a vanity purchase that college kids are super into for no reason other than advertising?

misfit410    829

If you just use a laptop for the basics, I'd suggest getting like a $200 chromebook,  if you get a newer one with a touch screen it doubles as an Android tablet..

fast, reliable and won't get viruses (the worse case is you can get rogue extensions, but they can be removed easily)

The only way I'd pay more than $600 for a laptop is if it's for gaming.

Dre801    329

Have you used MacOS?  Probably should go to the Apple store and play around with one. 

I suppose if you're one of those "click on anything and open any attachment someone sends me," people, perhaps a Mac would  be a safer bet; Macs aren't virus-proof though.

johnny    2,018

I have a MacBook air and love it. Mine was purchased used and if you do go that way that's what I recommend doing. I've had no problems with my used one and it's in excellent shape. I expect to get 3+ years more from it with my current usage unless I just decide to upgrade. It's obviously better than any budget laptop. People hate on MacBooks because of the price. They're great laptops but DEF overpriced, which is why I recommend just going used tbh. Would probably pick a surface over a MacBook though. So if you're gonna throw down some cash play around with the more expensive PC laptops and see what you prefer. 

Dre801    329

It's quite easy to avoid a virus on Windows.  Haven't had since the XP days, honestly and that was due to my dumbass roomate at the time.