Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Board consolidation - input wanted please!

Recommended Posts

It's that time of year again when I attempt to reduce the number of boards/sub-boards lets we end up looking like Reddit :sick:

 

So far, there seems to be a growing consensus around getting rid of the Handheld board and creating a sub-board under General Gaming for the non-Nintendo handheld stuff (but seriously, does anyone actually play iOS and Android games?).  While that would create another sub-board, I can eliminate the podcast sub-board.

 

What other boards are candidates for elimination/consolidation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mac can be consolidated into Gadgets. Posts there are sparse enough and directly related to the release cycles, so it doesn't really need its own board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Also, what about adding a Fantasy sub-board under Sports?

 

I'm not looking to ADD more sub-boards :P

 

If I do one, it will be a temporary board for the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There needs to be a separate place for PC gaming/hardware. It just has so many more elements that aren't relevant to anyone just playing games on consoles. I don't want to try and discuss my system cooling and temperatures when others are talking about an upcoming console release or some esport tournament going on.

 

PC Gaming is and has always been more intricate, it should always be viewed as a slightly different community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kleon333 said:

There needs to be a separate place for PC gaming/hardware. It just has so many more elements that aren't relevant to anyone just playing games on consoles. I don't want to try and discuss my system cooling and temperatures when others are talking about an upcoming console release or some esport tournament going on.

 

PC Gaming is and has always been more intricate, it should always be viewed as a slightly different community.

I wasn't planning on doing anything with the PC section :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I wasn't planning on doing anything with the PC section :P

 

Can't you see? People want more not less!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In seriousness though, here's an idea:

 

Merge Mac into the Gadgets and Home Theater board.

Make PC Contests and Giveaways into a general Contests and Giveaways board, and make it a top-level board under Gaming Boards.

Use the sub-forum slot freed up by making Contests and Giveaways a full-fledged board to create a PC Hardware sub-forum.

 

I'm not sure which you make the top-level board and which you make the sub-forum but Contests and Giveaways and Trades/Deals potentially belong together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason said:

In seriousness though, here's an idea:

 

Merge Mac into the Gadgets and Home Theater board.

Make PC Contests and Giveaways into a general Contests and Giveaways board, and make it a top-level board under Gaming Boards.

Use the sub-forum slot freed up by making Contests and Giveaways a full-fledged board to create a PC Hardware sub-forum.

 

I'm not sure which you make the top-level board and which you make the sub-forum but Contests and Giveaways and Trades/Deals potentially belong together.

 

These are pretty good suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm not sure which you make the top-level board and which you make the sub-forum but Contests and Giveaways and Trades/Deals potentially belong together.

 

 

The idea of the giveaway board is that it has a post limit to view it so people don't snipe the codes (which they still do) so if you merged the two you'd have to add the post limit thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The idea of the giveaway board is that it has a post limit to view it so people don't snipe the codes (which they still do) so if you merged the two you'd have to add the post limit thing.

 

I didn't mean to merge them, I said to make one a sub-forum of the other. Giveaways were made a sub-forum of the Trades/Deals then you wouldn't have to have the limit on Trades/Deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly the trade/deals should have a limit too, at least for trades, you wouldn't want to trade with a guy that just made an account. :P

 

In fact it should just be a Contest, Giveaway, Trade board. The deals is kind of useless because everyone posts the deals on the board they feel appropriate OTHER than the deals board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think merging handheld/Nintendo works with PS Vita talk relegated to the Sony board. For the latter, yes, I know that Vita doesn't have a lot releasing on it, but there are still some games being released, and most, if not all, are also on the PS4, so I feel that would work pretty well. PSVR talk can go on the Sony board as well, with other VR going on the PC board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I own a PS4, Switch and gaming PC, it kind of sucks having to check 4 different boards to see what's new.  I like the way ResetEra/NeoGaf do it, where it's one large super board, where all of gaming talk is consolidated to.  There's no need to check numerous boards.  I really think the current method is very dated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Now that I own a PS4, Switch and gaming PC, it kind of sucks having to check 4 different boards to see what's new.  I like the way ResetEra/NeoGaf do it, where it's one large super board, where all of gaming talk is consolidated to.  There's no need to check numerous boards.  I really think the current method is very dated.

 

Thanks for the bump. We will consider killing the boards again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really should have done it last October. I get why SFLUFAN was worn out considering the problems that occurred, but we've consolidated/added boards before with no problems.

 

I would be totally fine with it considering as someone with only one console and the occasional PC game, I still like reading news on the other systems, especially since I may buy a Switch within the next couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×