Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Board consolidation - input wanted please!

It's that time of year again when I attempt to reduce the number of boards/sub-boards lets we end up looking like Reddit :sick:

So far, there seems to be a growing consensus around getting rid of the Handheld board and creating a sub-board under General Gaming for the non-Nintendo handheld stuff (but seriously, does anyone actually play iOS and Android games?).  While that would create another sub-board, I can eliminate the podcast sub-board.

What other boards are candidates for elimination/consolidation?

I think Mac can be consolidated into Gadgets. Posts there are sparse enough and directly related to the release cycles, so it doesn't really need its own board. 

10 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Also, what about adding a Fantasy sub-board under Sports?

I'm not looking to ADD more sub-boards :P

If I do one, it will be a temporary board for the season.

There needs to be a separate place for PC gaming/hardware. It just has so many more elements that aren't relevant to anyone just playing games on consoles. I don't want to try and discuss my system cooling and temperatures when others are talking about an upcoming console release or some esport tournament going on.

PC Gaming is and has always been more intricate, it should always be viewed as a slightly different community.

1 hour ago, Kleon333 said:

There needs to be a separate place for PC gaming/hardware. It just has so many more elements that aren't relevant to anyone just playing games on consoles. I don't want to try and discuss my system cooling and temperatures when others are talking about an upcoming console release or some esport tournament going on.

PC Gaming is and has always been more intricate, it should always be viewed as a slightly different community.

I wasn't planning on doing anything with the PC section :P

28 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I wasn't planning on doing anything with the PC section :P

Can't you see? People want more not less!

In seriousness though, here's an idea:

Merge Mac into the Gadgets and Home Theater board.

Make PC Contests and Giveaways into a general Contests and Giveaways board, and make it a top-level board under Gaming Boards.

Use the sub-forum slot freed up by making Contests and Giveaways a full-fledged board to create a PC Hardware sub-forum.

I'm not sure which you make the top-level board and which you make the sub-forum but Contests and Giveaways and Trades/Deals potentially belong together.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

In seriousness though, here's an idea:

Merge Mac into the Gadgets and Home Theater board.

Make PC Contests and Giveaways into a general Contests and Giveaways board, and make it a top-level board under Gaming Boards.

Use the sub-forum slot freed up by making Contests and Giveaways a full-fledged board to create a PC Hardware sub-forum.

I'm not sure which you make the top-level board and which you make the sub-forum but Contests and Giveaways and Trades/Deals potentially belong together.

These are pretty good suggestions!

15 hours ago, Jason said:

The idea of the giveaway board is that it has a post limit to view it so people don't snipe the codes (which they still do) so if you merged the two you'd have to add the post limit thing.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The idea of the giveaway board is that it has a post limit to view it so people don't snipe the codes (which they still do) so if you merged the two you'd have to add the post limit thing.

I didn't mean to merge them, I said to make one a sub-forum of the other. Giveaways were made a sub-forum of the Trades/Deals then you wouldn't have to have the limit on Trades/Deals.

Honestly the trade/deals should have a limit too, at least for trades, you wouldn't want to trade with a guy that just made an account. :P

In fact it should just be a Contest, Giveaway, Trade board. The deals is kind of useless because everyone posts the deals on the board they feel appropriate OTHER than the deals board.

I think merging handheld/Nintendo works with PS Vita talk relegated to the Sony board. For the latter, yes, I know that Vita doesn't have a lot releasing on it, but there are still some games being released, and most, if not all, are also on the PS4, so I feel that would work pretty well. PSVR talk can go on the Sony board as well, with other VR going on the PC board.

Now that I own a PS4, Switch and gaming PC, it kind of sucks having to check 4 different boards to see what's new.  I like the way ResetEra/NeoGaf do it, where it's one large super board, where all of gaming talk is consolidated to.  There's no need to check numerous boards.  I really think the current method is very dated.

3 hours ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Now that I own a PS4, Switch and gaming PC, it kind of sucks having to check 4 different boards to see what's new.  I like the way ResetEra/NeoGaf do it, where it's one large super board, where all of gaming talk is consolidated to.  There's no need to check numerous boards.  I really think the current method is very dated.

Thanks for the bump. We will consider killing the boards again.

We really should have done it last October. I get why SFLUFAN was worn out considering the problems that occurred, but we've consolidated/added boards before with no problems.

I would be totally fine with it considering as someone with only one console and the occasional PC game, I still like reading news on the other systems, especially since I may buy a Switch within the next couple of years.