Sign in to follow this  
SimpleG

The Shape Of Water Trailer

7 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm convinced that this film takes place in the Hellboy universe just that it can't be openly admitted to.

Yea Abe was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

I was finally able to catch this in a theater near me. It's... a bit out there. I love going to movies like this during a matinee with a bunch of olds, who I'm guessing had no idea what they were getting into with one. It got some great reactions from that crowd. 

On 7/20/2017 at 12:07 PM, SFLUFAN said:

I'm convinced that this film takes place in the Hellboy universe just that it can't be openly admitted to.

Del Toro should have been hired to start Universal's Monster Universe with the Creature from the Black Lagoon, and just made this film with that label.

I saw this over the weekend and I was unfortunately underwhelmed. There is a lot to love about this movie, and there isn't anything in particular that I feel I can point towards to explains it's failures to me. In the end, this is a film about love and emotion that never connected emotionally with me. I certainly wouldn't steer anyone away from this movie, it's bold and beautiful and quite unique.

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

I am REALLY looking forward to seeing this when it enters wide release!

Will it be expanding? I haven't seen anything yet indicating it will. I plan on seeing it at the Angelika Film Center sometime this week.

23 minutes ago, Komusha said:

Will it be expanding? I haven't seen anything yet indicating it will. I plan on seeing it at the Angelika Film Center sometime this week.

I just assumed that it would :P

If not, I hope it's still showing at Angelika when I return to NoVA on New Year's Day.

11 hours ago, Komusha said:

thought I read somewhere that it expands on the 22nd. I hope so because I want to see it. 

21 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I saw this over the weekend and I was unfortunately underwhelmed. There is a lot to love about this movie, and there isn't anything in particular that I feel I can point towards to explains it's failures to me. In the end, this is a film about love and emotion that never connected emotionally with me. I certainly wouldn't steer anyone away from this movie, it's bold and beautiful and quite unique.

Have you seen Crimson Peak? And can you compare/contrast the two? Del Toro loves his gothic romances, and if this in that vein I'll be happy. Hoping to see it this weekend.

2 hours ago, Wild said:

Have you seen Crimson Peak? And can you compare/contrast the two? Del Toro loves his gothic romances, and if this in that vein I'll be happy. Hoping to see it this weekend.

Unfortunately I haven't seen it.

Thinking a bit more about the film, I have some spoilery thoughts:

Spoiler

I think where this movie failed me was with with the asymmetrical nature of the relationship. I certainly understood Elisa's point of view. Sally Hawkins is excellent and her story is well articulated through her friendships. Seeing her daily routine you can easily grasp what she's looking for and how she might find it in the creature. Still, this creature felt like it could have been a dog or a bird. You get hints of intelligence, but honestly little more than you might get from a parrot. The plot even focuses on her letting it go, like a stray animal. So when this tries to be a love story it feels necessarily one sided. I wish we were given more from the creature, I wish we had more reason to see in it what Elisa saw. The film certainly creates an empathy for him, but it felt more like the empathy you might have for Free Willy than a frog prince.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, TwinIon said:

agree with just about all of this

Some of y'all are crazy, this film is BEAUTIFUL. Almost certainly del Toro's best English language movie, arguably on par with PAN'S LABYRINTH, and easily the single purest expression of what makes him tick as a filmmaker. The fact that it's prolly only #2 on my 2017 list shows just how strong this year was.

Full thoughts here

19 hours ago, SirRothwyn said:

Some of y'all are crazy, this film is BEAUTIFUL. Almost certainly del Toro's best English language movie, arguably on par with PAN'S LABYRINTH, and easily the single purest expression of what makes him tick as a filmmaker. The fact that it's prolly only #2 on my 2017 list shows just how strong this year was.

Full thoughts here

Gonna keep telling people, but you should listen to the Director’s Guild of America podcast. It’s just interviews between two directors after the screening of one of the director’s newest film.

A recent episode is Baz Luhrmman interviewing GDT about Shape of Water.

On 1/2/2018 at 11:15 AM, sblfilms said:

Gonna keep telling people, but you should listen to the Director’s Guild of America podcast. It’s just interviews between two directors after the screening of one of the director’s newest film.

It's entirely possible that I have that episode on my phone already. ;)

On 1/2/2018 at 9:15 AM, sblfilms said:

Wow never heard of this. Thanks 

I saw the film this afternoon and thought that it was an absolutely gorgeous film with a fairly interesting premise that I have no idea what I'm supposed to take from it.

My main issue is that the bad guy is practically the same right-wing sadistic character as the bad guy from Pan's Labyrinth.  I understand that these types of films from del Toro's are effectively "fairy tales for adults", but a little more depth in the antagonist would go a long way.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:08 PM, SFLUFAN said:

I saw the film this afternoon and thought that it was an absolutely gorgeous film with a fairly interesting premise that I have no idea what I'm supposed to take from it.

My main issue is that the bad guy is practically the same right-wing sadistic character as the bad guy from Pan's Labyrinth.  I understand that these types of films from del Toro's are effectively "fairy tales for adults", but a little more depth in the antagonist would go a long way.

I agree on the antagonist.

I have a spoilery question for you:

Spoiler

What did you think about the leads falling in love? To me I never felt like we had a good idea of the emotional capacity of the asset beyond that of a grateful pet, and suddenly they're having sex. I bought into her attraction to a certain degree, but I feel like the asset was left as too much of a blank slate.

@TwinIon

Spoiler

Because I took the view of the story as a "fairy tale", I was willing to suspend disbelief of the depth of The Asset's emotional intelligence/capacity and just roll with the premise that he (it?) could feel some type of rudimentary emotional connection.  I do think The Asset is capable of some degree of emotional complexity as evidenced by what appears to be his/its apparent "guilt" for eating the cat.