• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emblazon

Red Hydrogen One... mobile phone

6 posts in this topic

Let us count the ways this is insane.

1. First of all: JUST LOOK AT IT

Spoiler

tQG2UaJ.png

2. $1,200 OR $1,600!

3. "look around depth" !?

4. PROFESSIONAL HYDROGEN HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY (!?!?!?!)

5. Proprietary content format for "holographic content"

6. "both landscape and portrait modes supported" (are they really so low on features that they had to call out you can use the phone in either direction?)

7. ASSAULT YOUR SENSES

8. "new high speed data bus" aka "proprietary connector that will never connect to anything useful"

9.  They never even mention the freaking camera on the thing.

10. "With one fell swoop... the future of personal communication, information gathering, holographic multi-view, 2D, 3D, AR/VR/MR, and image capture just changed forever." :sick:

11. The web page announcement for this thing is a pdf. WTF?

And great, you can use it as a monitor on your RED camera, just in case you wanted to plug your phone into your $30k+ camera. "Sorry, I missed the shot, I just had to swipe away this phone call."

If RED wanted to sell a phone with a great camera and their crazy industrial design for way too much money, that would have been fine. It'd be a symbolic thing, and if they put in a really over the top camera into it, they could have justified it. Promising all this just makes them look foolish.

On 7/7/2017 at 10:41 AM, TwinIon said:

Let us count the ways this is insane.

1. First of all: JUST LOOK AT IT

Hide contents

tQG2UaJ.png

2. $1,200 OR $1,600!

3. "look around depth" !?

4. PROFESSIONAL HYDROGEN HOLOGRAPHIC DISPLAY (!?!?!?!)

5. Proprietary content format for "holographic content"

6. "both landscape and portrait modes supported" (are they really so low on features that they had to call out you can use the phone in either direction?)

7. ASSAULT YOUR SENSES

8. "new high speed data bus" aka "proprietary connector that will never connect to anything useful"

9.  They never even mention the freaking camera on the thing.

10. "With one fell swoop... the future of personal communication, information gathering, holographic multi-view, 2D, 3D, AR/VR/MR, and image capture just changed forever." :sick:

11. The web page announcement for this thing is a pdf. WTF?

And great, you can use it as a monitor on your RED camera, just in case you wanted to plug your phone into your $30k+ camera. "Sorry, I missed the shot, I just had to swipe away this phone call."

If RED wanted to sell a phone with a great camera and their crazy industrial design for way too much money, that would have been fine. It'd be a symbolic thing, and if they put in a really over the top camera into it, they could have justified it. Promising all this just makes them look foolish.

Not used to Red's...eccentric behavior, eh? And this is the first time the owner, Jim Jannard, has made a Red product announcement in 5 or so years having left actual grown up and president Jarred Land to do so. It was like going back in time for those of us who have been around for the past 10 years.

On the issue of 6., they are speaking specifically of the fact that other displays that provide glasses-free depth can only be viewed in one orientation due to the use of lenticular screens. Their technology can be used in either orientation.

I preordered the Ti model without even reading the whacky PDF announcement. Will be a nice companion to my Epic-W :P

On 7/8/2017 at 10:09 AM, sblfilms said:

Not used to Red's...eccentric behavior, eh? And this is the first time the owner, Jim Jannard, has made a Red product announcement in 5 or so years having left actual grown up and president Jarred Land to do so. It was like going back in time for those of us who have been around for the past 10 years.

On the issue of 6., they are speaking specifically of the fact that other displays that provide glasses-free depth can only be viewed in one orientation due to the use of lenticular screens. Their technology can be used in either orientation.

I preordered the Ti model without even reading the whacky PDF announcement. Will be a nice companion to my Epic-W :P

Yeah, RED has a history of being weird, but I kinda thought that maybe they'd act more like a real company now that they've gotten things going. They've been going for more than a decade now, and I've seen failed kickstarters with more work put into presenting a new gadget.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that RED exists and will try something crazy like this (and I mean, really freaking crazy), but I thought maybe they be acting more like grown ups by now.