• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ManUtdRedDevils

Nintendo Switch Online Begins July 21st

42 posts in this topic

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

nintendo-switch-online-logo.svg

This paid service lets Nintendo Switch owners enjoy online multiplayer gaming as well as a dedicated smartphone app that connects to your Nintendo Switch system and helps you connect with friends for online play sessions in compatible games.

Check back for more details on the service before the official launch.

splatnet2-en.png

Nintendo Switch Online app

The Nintendo Switch Online smart device app is designed to enhance your online experience for compatible games on the Nintendo Switch™ console.

This app will initially launch with a limited feature set and will be compatible with the Splatoon™ 2 game.

In Splatoon 2, the app will give you access to SplatNet 2, where you can see your online battle stats, your gear, and much more. See details here.

Invite friends and voice chat during games

With the app, you can send online play invitations to players on your Nintendo Switch system's friend list. The app also lets you quickly send invites via social networks and messaging services. When you're invited to a game, you'll get notified right away via a push notification on your smart device.

Once players are connected, you can use voice chat openly with friends while in the online lobby and during online play (depending on the game).

They better patch in MK8nand Arms support quick. I want game invites for every game

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

So will you not be able to use multiplayer at all without paying once this is launched? I seem to remember something of the sort when I bought Mario Kart.

Online will require a payment in 2018, yes.  All games.  $20.  That $20 will also get you access to their digital classics games that will have online implemented as well.  Example, you can get Balloon Fight with the service, and it will have online multiplayer, instead of only two player local multiplayer.

So will you not be able to use multiplayer at all without paying once this is launched? I seem to remember something of the sort when I bought Mario Kart.

Online will still be free till some time in 2018 when the online offically launches. It's 20 USD a year

1 minute ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Online will require a payment in 2018, yes.  All games.

Ah, okay. So there will be a little grace period. I'm not sure I'll pay. I rarely play games online. every time I play Mario Kart online, I get my ass kicked. I don't think I've ever finished higher than 4th in a race.

Just now, Fizzzzle said:

Ah, okay. So there will be a little grace period. I'm not sure I'll pay. I rarely play games online. every time I play Mario Kart online, I get my ass kicked. I don't think I've ever finished higher than 4th in a race.

It's only $20.  That $20 will also get you access to their digital classics games that will have online implemented as well.  Example, you can get Balloon Fight with the service, and it will have online multiplayer, instead of only two player local multiplayer.

We were all kinda afraid that Nintendo was gonna Nintendo this one and do something really Nintendo like charge a price at or near that of XBL/PSN.  Fortunately, Nintendo managed to avoid Nintendoing at least that part of things.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

We were all kinda afraid that Nintendo was gonna Nintendo this one and do something really Nintendo like charge a price at or near that of XBL/PSN.  Fortunately, Nintendo managed to avoid Nintendoing at least that part of things.

Same thing with not going with the classic "free" game changing every month, and instead are going with subscribers able to enjoy all the games, as long as they pay for the service.  

I'm not sure if I'm getting Splatoon 2 day one...I have a few online games keeping me busy on Switch already

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

When MK8 first came out, I think me and my girlfriend played it most nights for at least 3 months. I also beasted it endlessly to the point where if I didn't come in the top 3, I would be annoyed. 

Nothing like being a fucking loser. 

4 hours ago, SeVeN CDN said:

They better patch in MK8nand Arms support quick. I want game invites for every game

This was my first thought as well!

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

When MK8 first came out, I think me and my girlfriend played it most nights for at least 3 months. I also beasted it endlessly to the point where if I didn't come in the top 3, I would be annoyed. 

Nothing like being a fucking loser. 

I only ever really play with my roommate or my friends, and we usually don't play online. We pretty much keep it to 150 cc, that way I can still win if I've been drinking and my friends can still potentially win when they've hardly ever played before. Online is brutal.

22 minutes ago, Mike said:

Who here is buying Splatoon 2?

I don't think so man. Not my thang. 

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Two copies. Gonna do salmon run with my kid, plus we want to play online together. I don't know who's more excited for the game between us. 

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I didn't buy the original but I did enjoy the test play so I will be getting it.

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I didn't like the first, just not my type of game.

18 hours ago, Mike said:

Me, possibly day one but I'll be on vacation so who knows 

Also it sounds like instead of a Virtual Console they are just going to offer old games up with the service, if this is the case they can take my $20 a year right now.

1 hour ago, misfit410 said:

Also it sounds like instead of a Virtual Console they are just going to offer old games up with the service, if this is the case they can take my $20 a year right now.

What the service will offer is different from the Virtual console, at least so far from what's been said.  The games provided with the service are actually updated with online capabilities like online multiplayer and leaderboards, while your normal VC games not online.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:16 PM, highlevelgamer said:

Switch requires a smart phone for voice chat?

If you're using the system as a handheld no, but the controllers don't have audio so if you're playing on the TV from across the room.. then yes.

5 hours ago, misfit410 said:

If you're using the system as a handheld no, but the controllers don't have audio so if you're playing on the TV from across the room.. then yes.

No, it absolutely requires a smart phone for voice chat. We've known this forever now.

11 hours ago, apoc81 said:

No, it absolutely requires a smart phone for voice chat. We've known this forever now.

That's new info and I've been following every thread and website, that's pretty damned lame (well not that I care because I have the option on all consoles and really don't want to talk to these kids)

3 hours ago, misfit410 said:

That's new info and I've been following every thread and website, that's pretty damned lame (well not that I care because I have the option on all consoles and really don't want to talk to these kids)

Do you follow this website?

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Do you follow this website?

I didn't think it was that far back before launch, and the second is just a convoluted Hori contraption..

That method won't fly with gamers, they are going to have to reconsider once it's never used.

I use Discord for all my online gaming (both Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems)...for free. 

Having to pay $20 a year for the same service (plus some old games getting online support)....this better be worth it.