Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

Update: Facebook kills the AI chatbots that created their own non-human language

I'm honestly not sure why this result is surprising to the researchers. From the sounds of it, they initially set the problem up as a reinforcement learning problem in which the actions the agents can take are what they say, and the value to maximize is the quality of a resulting negotiation. It's practically in the definition that they're free to learn how to say things in different ways to succeed at that and that those ways need not follow human grammar or semantics. There's a bunch of literature using RL and optimization techniques for developing language and communication.

If you wanted the agents to stick to human-understandable communication, then they would need to train either against humans (i.e., their learning interactions are with real people), or learn from static human data of existing negotiations (the latter approach of sticking to human data sounds like what they did as a response).

That's really interesting.

I recently heard a really interesting analogy about bots. With virtual assistants (Siri, Cortana, Alexa, etc.) becoming a primary interaction interface (either through voice or text) it can be useful to think of them as the new web browsers. Right now they're greatly limited to their own built in features, but increasingly their interactions with outside data and services are just as important. If your assistant is the browser, web pages in this analogy would be the third party bots that it connects to. The problem at the moment is that everyone is building individual APIs to connect the two. The web was a powerful platform because of its universality, and what bots need is their own HTML so everyone can talk to each other.

Microsoft and Facebook have been talking about this for a while, and the way they described it the original thought was that the HTML of the bot future would more or less be natural language. So Hilton builds a bot that allows you to book a room, Siri and Alexa can talk directly to the Hilton bot in the same way it already can talk directly to customers. That way Hilton can build a bot and it doesn't matter if a user goes directly to them (through a website or an app) or if the user is talking to a virtual assistant.

The idea that the bots would start with natural language and "evolve" to communicate in a way that works better for them by themselves is fascinating. It's kind of like they're building their own API.

Twins sometimes do this as well. Its interesting, and will be moreso once AI can truly percieve events and understand them. It's an interesting subject, but far beyond me. I'll stick to math and engineering. And signing papers. Mostly I sign papers. 

On 6/20/2017 at 11:45 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

balls have zero to me.

Nice to see there is some good ol fashion human humor they have :P

(And it turns out bots are actually quite good at dealmaking.)

Hmm good at doing deals you say? Can we repeal and replace our president with these bots?

Bob: i can i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to
Bob: you i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
Bob: i i can i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me
Bob: i . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bob: you i i i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Alice: balls have 0 to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to
Bob: you i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

They even speak more intelligibly than our president! I'm sold! When can we do the deal with Facebook?