RedSoxFan9

Mayweather-McGregor finalized, boxing match will be on Aug. 26th

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

BINGO we have a winner. Mayweather didn't even throw punches in the first two rounds and fought an entirely different style. Once he started walking Connor down and Connor started backing up the fight was pretty much over. Mayweather said he wanted to entertain the fans which is that this was at the end of the day... entertainment.

It was a damn entertaining fight but all credit to McGregor for stepping up.  If he didn't gas out in the 9th and was able to go 12 it might have been a different story.

As far as judges scoring BS goes .. Vegas favors the odds on favorite.  Any ties go to the champ.  If you ask me though Conor won at least 5 of those rounds.

Anyone who thought McGregor had a remote chance at winning this should prob keep their mouth closed the next time a big time fight comes up.

There was no way McGregor was going to have the gas to go past ten rounds. He doesn't have years of endurance training for that kind of time in a ring.

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

It was a damn entertaining fight but all credit to McGregor for stepping up.  If he didn't gas out in the 9th and was able to go 12 it might have been a different story.

As far as judges scoring BS goes .. Vegas favors the odds on favorite.  Any ties go to the champ.  If you ask me though Conor won at least 5 of those rounds.

Connor never had a chance in this fight  and the only reason it was entertaining was because Mayweather MADE it entertaining. What Floyd did in round 10 he could have done in round one. This thing was a joke from start to finish but folks seem to have enjoyed it so EVERYBODY is a winner I guess.

And it was obvious to me the day of the weigh in that Connor wasn't going to have the stamina to go very long. He looked VERY gaunt meaning he had to dehydrate himself immensely in order to make weight and he still looked drained the night of the fight. All week the Mayweather camp was saying they had heard he was having trouble making weight and that he was using I.V. bags which is illegal but it's an indication that a fighter is having trouble making the fight weight and may be drained on fight night. Freddy Roach observed a similar thing when Pacquiao fought De La Hoya and guessed correctly that De la Hoya would have stamina issues during the fight which he did.

I'm glad everyone seemed to have enjoyed the fight and hopefully Connor fights again... he can make a ton more money boxing than he can in MMA and I've heard that there's quite a few guys at light heavyweight in MMA who would beat him if they fought. So why bother going back to MMA?

Don't know how many of you have tried to move around like a boxer continuously for like 10 minutes with like a small break in between but it's pretty tiring. It doesn't look it on TV but if average joe gives it a shot you get gassed pretty fast. :P

Mayweather looked like he could have gone 24 rounds if he wanted to.

Don't know how many of you have tried to move around like a boxer continuously for like 10 minutes with like a small break in between but it's pretty tiring. It doesn't look it on TV but if average joe gives it a shot you get gassed pretty fast.

Yeah hell, I get tired doing 10 rounds on my heavy bag. Add moving around a ring and getting punched back and it's a lot more tiring than a lot of folks think.

- Slug

Conor barely made it through 25 minutes with Nate. There's no 'if' McGregor had a better gas tank. There's no way he was ever going to be able to keep pace with Floyd. 

20 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Don't know how many of you have tried to move around like a boxer continuously for like 10 minutes with like a small break in between but it's pretty tiring. It doesn't look it on TV but if average joe gives it a shot you get gassed pretty fast. :P

I've sparred with buddies of mine pretty regularly and that shit is exhausting. I used to be able to go 5 three minute rounds with a break in between. Now I can MAYBE do three :P I was watching a pre-fight show with Paulie Malanaggi and Pat Miletich... Pat explained that boxing is an Aerobic activity that requires a lot of energy. MMA training is different and he qestioned whether Connor would be able to maintain that pace.

There is this guy at work, not sure what he's trying to argue, I guess he thinks McGregor should have / could have won. This other guy told him "he lost get over it" :lol:

Connor suffered Mild Traumatic Brain Injury In Mayweather Loss

Byrd's calculation to call a stoppage was likely not based on signs of fatigue, but rather signs of traumatic brain injury. Ataxia, or dizziness and loss of balance, is one of the hallmarks of concussion, a type of mild traumatic brain injury. Fatigue may cause sluggish and slow movements, but does not cause the imbalance and poor coordination exhibited by McGregor in the 10th round. Being wobbly, in the setting of pugilistic trauma, will always be treated as the result of head trauma and not as fatigue. To let a fighter continue on would be grossly negligent.

Guess that's why he was issued a two month medical suspension 

So yeah... I wasn't bullshitting when I said he would get hit harder than he's ever been hit in his life and that he would be ill-equipped to deal with that kind of speed and accuracy. Also...

This is what happened when another MMA stepped into a boxing ring without the proper training and preparation

I hadn't heard about this. To expect a guy who never boxed before to compete competitively with someone who's been doing it their whole life is ridiculous... same with expecting someone to compete with a world class wrestler, judokai or jui-jitsu practitioner at their sport. It was lunacy and Connor was in real danger. AND... Floyd took it EASY on him.

Conor probably would have been knocked out cold in the first Diaz fight if he didnt shoot on him. His defense turns to shit when he's tired and his chin isn't that strong. 

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

Conor probably would have been knocked out cold in the first Diaz fight if he didnt shoot on him. His defense turns to shit when he's tired and his chin isn't that strong. 

He carries his chin waaaay too high. That's a very inviting target for someone who knows what they're doing. It was apparent to me and my crew that Floyd was carrying Connor because there were so many weapons at his disposal that he didn't use that he normally does. He didn't throw any hooks, no uppercuts, He didn't use any check hooks like the punch he used to knock out Ricky Hatton, he didn't do any pull counters, he didn't change levels and he didn't throw anything with meaning to the body. Floyd could have stopped this whenever he wanted but he clearly didn't want to humiliate Connor and now Connor is free to box again, probably under Mayweather promotions. Expect Connor/Malanaggi next year.

My last posting about this but this writer pretty much sums up my feelings about the fight, especially after I rewatched it a couple of times this weekend.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/20523028/why-praising-conor-mcgregor-losing-floyd-mayweather

This point in particular is one that I made earlier.

Let's start with a basic observation. It appears McGregor did not learn much about boxing during his training camp. He did not learn how to throw a punch. He doesn't know how to start the motion in his legs and hips and transfer his body weight through the punch. He doesn't have even average power in the ring. He also did not have any grasp of the basic rules. It was quite shocking to hear McGregor admit in the postfight press conference that he was "using valuable energy here to get to this man's back and we're just being reset." Was he under the impression that he could throw punches to an opponent's back? Not to mention all the holding of the head and rabbit punches. It makes one wonder what the point was of having referee Joe Cortez attend McGregor's training camp leading up to the fight.

But the ruse gets pretty obvious when one observes the simple things Floyd chose not to do. In other words, to believe what you were seeing is to believe Floyd all of a sudden no longer knew the basics of boxing.

This part is also true

None of this should make anyone upset. Together, the two men put on a performance that left the audience satisfied. But let's not pretend we got a better fight than we expected; there was no fight. What the two men delivered, or rather, what Mayweather was able to engineer, was the entertaining show he had promised all long

On 9/2/2017 at 2:49 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Connor suffered Mild Traumatic Brain Injury In Mayweather Loss

Guess that's why he was issued a two month medical suspension 

So yeah... I wasn't bullshitting when I said he would get hit harder than he's ever been hit in his life and that he would be ill-equipped to deal with that kind of speed and accuracy. Also...

This is what happened when another MMA stepped into a boxing ring without the proper training and preparation

I hadn't heard about this. To expect a guy who never boxed before to compete competitively with someone who's been doing it their whole life is ridiculous... same with expecting someone to compete with a world class wrestler, judokai or jui-jitsu practitioner at their sport. It was lunacy and Connor was in real danger. AND... Floyd took it EASY on him.

Suspension is automatic if a person is KO'd or TKO'd in boxing. It's usually 90 days. 

Otherwise, I said from day one, Mayweather would play with McGregor. 

Yeah I know in MMA they hand out medical suspensions like candy. 

knockouts are 90 days and then they'll be like "Bruised thigh - 30 day suspension or until cleared by doctor"

1 hour ago, johnny said:

@skillzdadirectado you remember when people asked if Ronda Rousey could beat Floyd? :lol:

Lol yeah I remember that stupid shit! I seriously thought folks were losing their minds... I also remember Floyd offering to train Ronda after she got knocked out by Holly Holms.  I also remember Connor McGregor calling out Brock Lesnar. Brock Fucking Lesnar :| I loved his response to that too

Oh and I remember back in the day when they were trying to set up Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones jr in a boxing match. That would have been HILARIOUS.

4 hours ago, apoc81 said:

Suspension is automatic if a person is KO'd or TKO'd in boxing. It's usually 90 days. 

Otherwise, I said from day one, Mayweather would play with McGregor. 

Usually in boxing it's 60 days but I get your point. Still doesn't change the fact that the way Connor was wobbling and uncoordinated in those last couple of rounds had very little to do with fatigue. He ate a LOT of right hands and he looked punch drunk.

I mean, huge event? Who is really that excited to watch Conor fight Paulie? I think it's mostly the crowd that just want to see Conor fight period. Conor would be A side. Wouldn't be surprised if Conor renegotiates with the UFC and gets another huge pay bump. He can actually compete in the UFC. He'll lose to Paulie and then nobody will care about Conor the boxer. 

I really don't think the UFC would let him anyways unless they actually get their name plastered everywhere unlike the last fight. If the UFC weren't in the picture I think Paulie would be his next fight. But right now I think he's going to have at least one more fight in the UFC.