• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
RedSoxFan9

Mayweather-McGregor finalized, boxing match will be on Aug. 26th

78 posts in this topic

I had no idea that this was something people wanted or could possibly happen. As someone who doesn't follow either boxing or MMA, this seems rather unfair, and it seems betting markets agree. I suppose they'll make plenty of money.

I thought it was kind of funny that McGregor's wikipedia entry has a heading for "Professional Boxing Career" that basically says he boxed from 12 to 16, and then has the entry to this fight.

Uuh, i don't follow sports pretty much at all, but has McGregor even fought in a proper boxing match in his life? I'm just saying, when I was a young fellow I did both and I found that being good at one does not auto qualify you to be good at the other. 

@Spork3245 ?

I don't know much about Mayweather, don't give a damn about Boxing, and I do like MMA.....but this sounds like a bad joke to me. McGregor is going to get beaten just as badly in a Boxing ring as Mayweather would be if he stepped into the Octagon.

Don't get me wrong, McGregor is good, but he hasn't even bothered to just stay put in his weight class long enough as champ to really prove if he's a Silva, Johnson, or Jones type talent. So he's even a little overrated in the MMA world imho. Which, even if that were not the case, I am not sure that helps him with crossing over. For those not familiar with him I will say that, as far as MMA goes McGregor is a very talented standup boxer. So that's where the appeal comes from, I guess. But it's highly unlikely those skills carry directly over. It's not as ridiculous as putting a Boxer in a cage with couple weeks worth of jujitsu training....but it's close :P  

25 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Uuh, i don't follow sports pretty much at all, but has McGregor even fought in a proper boxing match in his life? I'm just saying, when I was a young fellow I did both and I found that being good at one does not auto qualify you to be good at the other. 

@Spork3245 ?

I don't watch professional fights, I find them kinda boring due to all the eye-gouging and groin kicking I teach :P 

I don't believe McGregor has professionally boxed, however, but I could be wrong. 

For the people that haven't been following this, it's really all just a big pay day for them. Neither really cares what the outcome maybe. While Connor is a great fighter and has a mean hook it doesn't mean shit in boxing since he won't be able to utilize all of his other offensive options like kicks. Mayweather is going to win via the way he always wins, bobbing and weaving. He is going to win by points and that's it. Connor doesn't care. This is going to be the biggest payday of his life. He loses a boxing match he will go back to UFC paid. Honestly there was no better time for Connor to do it than now. He can't afford to fight in the UFC and lose as that will make his drawing power for this fight take a hit.

If Connor is smart he has to fight in the following order to make the most of his time at the top:

Mayweather>Diaz>Khabib

Regardless if he wins or lose those will be the highest paydays of his career. I would retire after Khabib with all the money he has accumulated if I were him.

Yeah I imagine he might slip up and try to kick a bunch and get DQ'd.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I imagine he might slip up and try to kick a bunch and get DQ'd.

I don't think McGregor is that dumb. After all he is a counter puncher. I can see him playing Mayweathers game of keep away. I predict a boring fight unless Connor can knock him out.

I'm a HUGE boxing fan and a moderate MMA fan. My guess is Mayweather and McGregor are in on this together to make a ton of money. McCregor stands virtually NO chance unless he lands a lucky shot and Mayweather has been hit by guys who punch WAAAAAY harder and hasn't been K.O.'d EVER. My guess is they go out, dance around a little bit, Mayweather won't embarass him TOO badly, they both make a ton of money and McGregor will be set for life. Connor has pratically followed the Mayweather playbook on how to be a heel (which Maywether learned from his brief intereaction with the WWE back in the day) and they are gonna cash out. 

Folks who have seen Connor spar (including Freddy Roach) have said he's NOT a very good boxer.

36 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm a HUGE boxing fan and a moderate MMA fan. My guess is Mayweather and McGregor are in on this together to make a ton of money. McCregor stands virtually NO chance unless he lands a lucky shot and Mayweather has been hit by guys who punch WAAAAAY harder and hasn't been K.O.'d EVER. My guess is they go out, dance around a little bit, Mayweather won't embarass him TOO badly, they both make a ton of money and McGregor will be set for life. Connor has pratically followed the Mayweather playbook on how to be a heel (which Maywether learned from his brief intereaction with the WWE back in the day) and they are gonna cash out. 

Folks who have seen Connor spar (including Freddy Roach) have said he's NOT a very good boxer.

I wouldn't count on that.

I am sure he'll have plenty of sparring sessions, and I've never boxed myself, but I have to imagine getting in the ring with an opponent and trying to knock him out is something McGregor has never professionally faced with those big boxing gloves. It'd be like getting thrown out on a basketball court in the middle of the FInals with a half inflated ball. 

Just now, Chairslinger said:

I wouldn't count on that.

I am sure he'll have plenty of sparring sessions, and I've never boxed myself, but I have to imagine getting in the ring with an opponent and trying to knock him out is something McGregor has never professionally faced with those big boxing gloves. It'd be like getting thrown out on a basketball court in the middle of the FInals with a half inflated ball. 

Oh I'm NOT counting on that. Floyd Mayweather is the best boxer of his generation and a defensive genius... I can't see McGregor putting him down with one shot. the only thing's McGregor has going for him is that Floyd is 40 years old and Conner will be the bigger guy in the ring. That's it. Like I said, folks who have seen Connor spar said it was pretty bad. Like Amateur bad.

Yeah, this is just a cash grab and both sides already know the outcome lol. Mayweather wouldn't take this fight if he thought there was any chance of a blemish on his record. Conor is really good at MMA but kinda overrated. Like literally, Dana White threw a bitch fit over Demetrious Johnson and called Conor #1 P4P which is a joke. Johnson, Cormier, Jones, Stipe, and Joanna Champion are all champions who have done so much more in their divisions and defended the belt multiple times. His mouth has gotten him really far and the two biggest fights of his life were against Nate Diaz where he got embarrassed the first time and barely squeaked out a win the second time. To Nate Diaz. And he's ranked like #9 on the UFC official rankings at lightweight lol. Conor is elite for sure but he also probably loses to the two top guys at 155, Ferguson and Khabib. And I disagree with The Def Star, if money is his objective he would rather fight Ferguson over Khabib. Ferguson is waaaaay more entertaining and can sell the fight better. I actually think he'll want to fight GSP who is supposed to be returning this fall. Would either side really turn that down? GSP used to be the king of MMA and he's way bigger than Conor. He'd probably wax him honestly. But Conor will take it because either that or a third Diaz fight is his biggest payday left in MMA. 

I honestly dont even expect him to come back to the UFC after this huge payday, let alone actually defend a belt. If he never defends his belt, that'll be his legacy. Very talented fighter, best trash talker in MMA, and a guy who never defended his belt. And his rise to the top has other fighters thinking they can get 'money fights' when they're not even a draw. It's kind of annoying. 

Also lol @ the thought of Conor being able to last a whole damn boxing match in there with Mayweather. I think Mayweather will stop him unless he takes it easy on him like skillz said. Conor has been rocked by Diaz so it's not like he has an amazing chin or anything. He'll be fucking gassed by the 5th or 6th round probably. Matter of fact, Nate Diaz would probably piece up Conor in a boxing match. Leg kicks is what really won Conor the second matchup. Like, the odds should be even higher than they are. This will probably be good entertainment but a baaaaad boxing match. 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don't watch professional fights, I find them kinda boring due to all the eye-gouging and groin kicking I teach :P 

I don't believe McGregor has professionally boxed, however, but I could be wrong. 

you find them boring but like WWE :P 

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Of course it's a cash grab. Neither of these guys are doing it for the love of the sport. :P

7 hours ago, johnny said:

Yes, because the latter has ridiculous stories and impossible feats since it's pre-planned. It's not a sporting event or a fight, it's like a movie or tv show. Comparing the two is impossibly poorly considered. You might as well say "you find boxing boring but like the Rocky movies".

21 hours ago, The def star said:

I don't think McGregor is that dumb. After all he is a counter puncher. I can see him playing Mayweathers game of keep away. I predict a boring fight unless Connor can knock him out.

After how bored I got of the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight, yeah I'm expecting a super boring match. There's no way Mayweather would want to lose against an MMA fighter. 

Mcgregor isn't going to have the legs for 12 rounds. I am thinking he is going to go down around round 8 or 9. No way in hell does he win this. Not even close.

Mcgregor isn't going to have the legs for 12 rounds.

Are they going 12 rounds? Since it isn't a title fight and is basically an exhibition, maybe it goes 8 or 10. Have they said it's 10 full rounds?

Micheal Bisping... "Boxers hit a LOT harder than MMA guys"

Chael Sonnen

I've heard MULTIPLE opponents say that Floyd hits a lot harder and is MUCH stronger than people think in the ring. Shane Mosely said that he would rate Mayweather's and Canelo's power at about the same and the perception has always been that Canelo was the harder puncher.

Anybody who thinks Conor has more than a puncher's chance is kidding themselves. Basically Conor's goal is to not throw in the towel.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Are they going 12 rounds? Since it isn't a title fight and is basically an exhibition, maybe it goes 8 or 10. Have they said it's 10 full rounds?

Micheal Bisping... "Boxers hit a LOT harder than MMA guys"

Chael Sonnen

I've heard MULTIPLE opponents say that Floyd hits a lot harder and is MUCH stronger than people think in the ring. Shane Mosely said that he would rate Mayweather's and Canelo's power at about the same and the perception has always been that Canelo was the harder puncher.

Dana White stated that it is a 12 round bout.

8 minutes ago, johnny said:

Anybody who thinks Conor has more than a puncher's chance is kidding themselves. Basically Conor's goal is to not throw in the towel.

I don't think he even has a puncher's chance. No way he hits harder than Maidana, Canelo or Mosely. NO WAY. Not to mention the way Floyd trains in the gym where the word is he fights 20 rounds with little rest swapping out fresh opponents. Personally, I think this is just a quick way to make a buck with him and Connor who I am CERTAIN are friends on the low. Andre Berto has already let it slip that HE and Berto are cool.

Well, you don't have to be the hardest hitter somebody has faced to knock them out. I'm not even sure if Conor will even be able to land anything significant though lol. 

58 minutes ago, johnny said:

Well, you don't have to be the hardest hitter somebody has faced to knock them out. I'm not even sure if Conor will even be able to land anything significant though lol. 

No you don't... but Floyd can take a punch is my point. And he doesn't take that many... but he's never even been DOWN in a fight. Zab Judah rocked him  and his glove touched the canvas and it should have been ruled a knock down but it wasn't. It would be a TREMENDOUS fluke if Connor is able to catch Floyd and knock him out with one shot. I think the best chance Connor has is that Floyd is 40 and his legs and reflexes may not be what they were.

There is probably more boxing skill separating Floyd and Connor as there is separating Connor and some random guy off the street, this will be an utter clinic. This fight exists for one reason and one reason only to make both fighters an extreme amount of money.