Let's Get Physical (Media) - A Thread for Avid Physical Media Collectors

I've been wanting to expand my 4K collection in 2022 & double down on the medium while it's still somewhat viable. We are seeing dwindling floor space for such items in our Best Buys, Targets, Wal-Marts, etc. and have had to peruse the niche market for specialty sellers like Arrow, Kino Lorber, Scream/Shout Factory, etc. That all being said, for those that are interested in discussing new/upcoming releases, sharing wishlists, their personal pick-ups, whatever the case may be, then please come here & do so. It doesn't even have to necessarily be film, but television, music, comics, whatever it is that you can feel in your hands then let's talk about it.

• Thanks 2

So just last week, it was announced that "Hell or High Water" was getting a 4K Steelbook while also, and FINALLY, Second Sight Films announced that "Drive" is coming to 4K in both a regular release as well as a limited box set version - all prices are British pounds & pre-orders are available currently.

Special Features 

• A Special Edition release presented by Second Sight Films and Director Nicolas Winding Refn
  • Includes UHD and Blu-ray both with main feature and bonus features
  • New 4K master produced by the original post production company and approved by Nicolas Winding Refn
  • UHD presented in Dolby Vision HDR graded by the film’s original colourist 
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • New exclusive audio commentary by Nicolas Winding Refn and The Guardian film critic Peter Bradshaw
  • Drive: a 70 minutes conversation with Nicolas Winding Refn, Editor Mat Newman and Composer Cliff Martinez 
  • Cutting a Getaway - a new interview with Mat Newman
  • 3 Point Turns – a new video essay by Leigh Singer
  • Optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

Limited Edition Contents

• Premium box set packaging with new artwork by AllCity
  • 240-page hardback book with new essays by Travis Crawford, Alison Taylor, Matthew Thrift, Simon Ward, Thomas Joseph Watson, Emma Westwood and Hannah Woodhead, an exclusive interview with Drive author James Sallis by Matthew Thrift, original storyboards, stills and behind-the-scenes photos
  • The original novel with exclusive new artwork by AllCity
  • 7 collectors' art cards

I’m still a physical media guy myself and sadly it’s more expensive 3D imports then anything getting a good chunk of my money. Sadly I missed out on a few Marvel 4K/3D Steelbooks but can still can get (for now) the marvel superhero films 4K/3D that way from Japan. (minus No Way Home, so FUCK YOU SONY!) I’ve had to import from the UK, France, Germany and now Japan. Ok they were mostly because of the very cool 4K/3D steelbooks artwork(Spiderman:Spider-Verse & Far From Home being my favs from Germany) I agree on the shrinking 4K selection and I’m seeing it disappear from Walmart and more DVD returning (wtf) I admit my movie buying is down because of a few factors (money, streaming, no working HT receiver) Still I didn’t spend a shit ton of money on my home theatre for streaming movies that still can’t match the visual quality still offered by a 4K disc. Plus some streaming services (Crave in Canada) still don’t offer a lot of 4K content or any Atmos sound. Some discs also offer DTS:X and some imports offer Auro 3D sound that, again, can’t get on a streaming service. Would love to see some streaming service for my 3D films if they are stopping the discs, but still showing in 3D theatres. It’s my movie version of blue balls 

• Like 1

I still buy physical comics every week and it's kinda stupid. Comics are dramatically overpriced and the speculative market now drives up comic prices before the book even comes out. Stores are now marking up books on the stands... something that was unheard of before. Still, I love the hobby but for the first time in my life, I'm seeing an end to my collecting coming soon.

• Shocked 1

I only own 2 4K movies since I still need to get a 4K receiver that's decently priced, preferably from Amazon so I can use my Prime points.

Over 50% of my BR collection are horror movies and probably the next 30% are Disney/Marvel/Star Wars.

• Like 1

I haven't bought a single physical piece of video media since The Last Samurai on DVD in like, 2004. However, I do own 400+ physical books, and I've never purchased an audio or ebook. I love my book collection!

EDIT:

Here's a picture of the bookshelf beside my desk in my home office. One of three spread throughout the house!

x1rdEMT.png

And a zoom in on the cards on top (made by my wife) for you sickos:

9pSPeGw.jpg

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I haven't bought a single physical piece of video media since The Last Samurai on DVD in like, 2004. However, I do own 400+ physical books, and I've never purchased an audio or ebook. I love my book collection!

The mental calculus on this stuff is always interesting to me.

When I was moving more regularly I got so tired of moving books that I purged most of them. ebooks are just so much more convenient and now when I’m reading something in actual print, I find it very frustrating to not be able to use a search function.

But I own a bunch of board games, including ones for which there are very good digital versions.

I’m dumb. :p

48 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

When I was moving more regularly I got so tired of moving books that I purged most of them. ebooks are just so much more convenient and now when I’m reading something in actual print, I find it very frustrating to not be able to use a search function.

But I own a bunch of board games, including ones for which there are very good digital versions.

Funny enough that I thought I would of been all ebook by now myself. After the great word of mouth it got back in 2010 from a panel of writers at the World Horror Convention, which included Joe Hill. I loved the idea of that these short story writers wanting to do a subscription service/site which they could release their works for people to purchase/read almost instantly. I don’t think this has really happen yet either, but it was exciting enough that it made my sister and I buy a Kindle from the airport in Houston. It was cool at first but I gotta admit that I missed the textile feeling of a book in my hand. Something about holding a book just feels rights unlike staring at a screen, which I pretty much do all day anyways (like right now) So I’m back to buying/trying to read my physical copy books. I was gonna start reading Cradle to Stage from Dave Grohl’s mom, but can’t after Taylor’s death. Which I guess kinda brings me to music now, and I have pretty much stopped buying cd’s. I’m not yet a record player owners and so we’ll hopefully keep that habit demon at bay for now. I pretty much use whatever free music is offered for streaming/downloading. Will stream playlist from YouTube in my car, but would love to actually buy the 2 Acoustic CD releases from Above and Beyond. Use mainly my free prime music but hate that what was once free can be taken away just as easily. I fell in love with the last Rag ‘N Bone Man release but that keeps disappearing and sometimes briefly reappearing on my phone. Too broke at the moment to pay for Spotify or the Unlimited Prime Music and have no real desire to do so. It’s just enough new and old music here and there too keep me satisfied

I still buy physical media for limited run or more obscure films and vinyl but I have slowed down quite a bit. The las 4k I picked up was 

13177636-8604876419227103.jpg

13272979-1804889403702810.jpg

I also picked up this as I am huge fan of folk horror

All the Haunts Be Ours": 15-Disc Folk Horror Compendium on the Way from  Severin Films - Bloody Disgusting

Heavy Metal 4k comes out next month and that must for me. 

I am also kinda spoiled as there is local place that keeps a ton of SF/Arrow/Synapse/... type titles in stock or can get them super quick so they are always at my finger tips.

• Like 1

I don't really do physical media for movies or shows anymore, but I still have a modest collection of blu-rays in a closet. Just never got rid of them after ripping them to the server.

I'm still primarily physical when it comes to books and games, though. I do own a Kindle and use it a bit, but I have under 200 ebooks where I have an entire spare bedroom that's also a library, containing several hundred books. Haven't really counted, but at least 500, probably more. And of course there's my retro game collection. I do buy some new games digitally, primarily on PC, though.

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

yeah it’s weird. i like having physical movies but i don’t think i’ll ever buy a physical game again. 

@skillzdadirectaI hadn't been to a comic shop in a few years until a couple months back when Saga began running again, so I have snagged the last few issues of that. Still feels good to go into my LCS & just browse. Wasn't aware of those practices you mentioned but if so, that's tragic. I was heavily into buying weekly about a decade ago but as my collection ballooned & was spending far too much, I sort of just cut it off. Can keep my finger on the pulse of what's going on via boards, social media & the routine websites that report on the medium so it's all good.

@SimpleGI'm with you on that Heavy Metal in 4K for the sound alone (not entirely sure how much better the art & animation will turn out but it'll be cool to see.)

White Ward is selling some limited Vinyls on Ebay. 100% of the profits go to support for Ukraine

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

"Friends, you all know what is happening in Ukraine now. We try to support our country and the army as much as possible. These records were made just in few copies and never got sold. All money from the sales will go to support our country in this fight against Russian military aggression. ".

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

100% of all proceed will be donated directly toWHITE WARD to enable them helping their friends and families in need. As the band puts it "Friends, you all know what is happening in Ukraine now. We try to support our country and the army as much as possible.

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

Funny enough that I thought I would of been all ebook by now myself. After the great word of mouth it got back in 2010 from a panel of writers at the World Horror Convention, which included Joe Hill. I loved the idea of that these short story writers wanting to do a subscription service/site which they could release their works for people to purchase/read almost instantly. I don’t think this has really happen yet either, but it was exciting enough that it made my sister and I buy a Kindle from the airport in Houston. It was cool at first but I gotta admit that I missed the textile feeling of a book in my hand. Something about holding a book just feels rights unlike staring at a screen, which I pretty much do all day anyways (like right now) So I’m back to buying/trying to read my physical copy books. I was gonna start reading Cradle to Stage from Dave Grohl’s mom, but can’t after Taylor’s death. Which I guess kinda brings me to music now, and I have pretty much stopped buying cd’s. I’m not yet a record player owners and so we’ll hopefully keep that habit demon at bay for now. I pretty much use whatever free music is offered for streaming/downloading. Will stream playlist from YouTube in my car, but would love to actually buy the 2 Acoustic CD releases from Above and Beyond. Use mainly my free prime music but hate that what was once free can be taken away just as easily. I fell in love with the last Rag ‘N Bone Man release but that keeps disappearing and sometimes briefly reappearing on my phone. Too broke at the moment to pay for Spotify or the Unlimited Prime Music and have no real desire to do so. It’s just enough new and old music here and there too keep me satisfied

As someone who’s read a lot of longer fantasy books, I find holding physical copies of them pretty annoying especially compared to holding a kindle. If there’s a book that has a lot of art, I really prefer the convenience of being able to see it on the kindle app on my iPad if I want to, etc. I appreciate the vibes physical books give, to me it’s just outweighed by convenience of literally every other aspect of digital books.

The only real exception is RPG books; some of them don’t have digital versions unless I get bootlegs, which… I usually do but I also want to support the publisher and actually pay for the content. But even a big core book or a splat book isn’t something I’m “reading” on the regular so I don’t mind having a physical copy on the table while I’m playing. I cannot resist the siren song of a PDF / physical copy. Like I said, I’m dumb.

Again I might feel differently if I didn’t have so much space taken up by records, board games, miniature panting supplies, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

My next UHD will be Moonfall. 

I don't mind digital as a PC gamer but I'd rather have 4k blu ray. The quality difference is too great to ignore. I am switching to buying physical Switch games. I want to avoid connecting my hacked Switch to the internet as much as possible. 

Beyond that I do like CD still but those seem to be niche collector's items now that you can only get from the artists official merch store.

I don't really do books beyond comic anthologies. Audiobooks are just super convinient and it's nice to listen to them on a long ride, while hobbying, working out, or just chyllin with the lights off.

Obtained both the 4K Robocop & Wal-Mart exclusive verions of No Way Home last week while Heavy Metal arrived today for me like it did for @SimpleG. I'll be at work all week as well so won't be able to see it until this weekend but that's totally OK. Don't believe I have anything else coming soon aside from The Batman steelbook from BB next month, maybe Hell or High Water if I decide last minute, and aside from that I haven't really perused lately as I haven't had much time.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Live. Die. Repeat. or otherwise known as Edge of Tomorrow, will be arriving in 4K on 7.5.22!!! Best Buy will have an exclusive steelbook as well so a friendly heads up for this true gem in the action/sci-fi genre!

nice. such a great movie. 

44 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Live. Die. Repeat. or otherwise known as Edge of Tomorrow, will be arriving in 4K on 7.5.22!!! Best Buy will have an exclusive steelbook as well so a friendly heads up for this true gem in the action/sci-fi genre!

I have a blu-ray steelbook of the movie, but if anyone wants to get me the new 4K version. That would be very nice of you, as it will be my birthday 🥳 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:01 PM, Zaku3 said:

I do like CD still but those seem to be niche collector's items now that you can only get from the artists official merch store.

CDs aren’t niche collector’s items now, most albums are still released on CD and can be purchased at Amazon and record stores. You usually only have to buy CDs directly from artists who aren’t on a label. I only buy my albums on CD, I’ve been collecting them since the 90s. They’re about the only physical media that I still buy, I also still buy some games physically as well but usually only bigger titles. I stopped buying and collecting movies physically a long time ago.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That's cool that there's still a market for 3D home releases.

That's something I'd like to ask those that stop by this thread, for those that have 4K players, do you use your console or have a dedicated 4K player? I use my Xbox Series X but I keep wondering if I should get a dedicated player instead? :hmm:

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

That's cool that there's still a market for 3D home releases.

That's something I'd like to ask those that stop by this thread, for those that have 4K players, do you use your console or have a dedicated 4K player? I use my Xbox Series X but I keep wondering if I should get a dedicated player instead? :hmm:

If you have the tv/projector and home theatre setup for watching. That would be a big hell yeah in buying a dedicated player for viewing because of the better picture quality/tweaks. I don’t think Dolby Vision works for physical media on the Series X(yet) I would look into the Panasonic 420/820 units for a dedicated player. I bought my Oppo when they announced they would no longer be selling their physical disc players. They also made their players, on purpose, very easily hacked to go region free. Another great bonus feature for us importers, is the ability to import your own selected subtitles via USB. This feature I will need to figure out soon for my copy of The Mermaid 3D and my recent Japanese Marvel 3D imports. They have an english soundtrack but sadly the english subtitle doesn’t carry over. So for like White Widow/Shang-Chi and their foreign land languages means I would need the subtitles on for the entire film. My hearing isn’t there yet, so I prefer them left off for the entire film or until needed.

• Like 1

I reserve physical media these days for rare or special editions I really want, such as The Howling steel book and RAD 4K BD. 

We just recently upgraded from our BenQ 3550 (never again will I buy BenQ) to a 4000 lumen Epson that is ridiculously bright. We've got the 3D glasses, too, but have never used them. Might have to throw in some Step Up 3D soon. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I reserve physical media these days for rare or special editions I really want, such as The Howling steel book and RAD 4K BD. 

We just recently upgraded from our BenQ 3550 (never again will I buy BenQ) to a 4000 lumen Epson that is ridiculously bright. We've got the 3D glasses, too, but have never used them. Might have to throw in some Step Up 3D soon. 

Gotta import them but Infinity War/Endgame looked amazing in 3D. Still awaiting the 3D Japanese announcement for Dr. Strange 2 release.

Also I have a temporary receiver again and can watch movies on my projector again with the big sound too. My receiver won’t be here until mid to late July.

• Like 1

Already pre-ordered my copy through Best Buy earlier this week! Been anxiously waiting years for this release (DAMN YOU DISNEY!) so yeah, definitely stoked for it!

That said however, rumors abound that the audio is only DTS & not Dolby so yeah, take that how you want.