Sign in to follow this  
brandino

Friend of mine committed suicide today.

brandino    779

Resident lurkers here. He was one of my first friends. I met him in 1st grade, and he was my best friend for most of that. We drifted apart after elementary school, cause we went to different schools, and he got into some trouble that sent him to juvie. We kept in touch through Facebook, and he was at my wedding back in September. We would both be in our 30s now.

Not sure what to think. I'm sad and shocked. His sister is the one who got a hold of me today, and I don't have any reasons as to why he did it. I didn't want to ask her about the details cause I'm sure it's pretty awful for her right now. Not sure why I'm posting this here, guess I just wanted to vent. I have my wife and cats with me, so that helps. If you have your loved ones cloise by, tell them you love them.

Nokra    2,234

I'm sorry for your loss, brandino. I wish you lots of strength in the coming days, and thank you for the reminder to tell loved ones how I feel about them; one can never do that enough. :(

:rose:

GuyWhoPostsThings    5,213

I know all too well about losing a close friend. It never goes "back to normal;" a new normal takes over. Many things will remind you of him, but don't worry when it happens; it's natural and this situation, as tragic as it is, may help you bridge gaps with people with whom you've lost contact or help you grow as a person. It doesn't feel as much this way now, but it will in the future.

Very sorry for your loss. :rose:

Runny    642

Sorry to hear that :( fortunately I dont know anyone personally that has committed suicide so can't even fathom what it'd feel like. I have lost people close at a young age (my brother among them) and it sucks. 

Writing helped me a lot.  But just having someone to talk to helps immensely.

I also was the one who had to call my brothers friends on the day he died. One of them he was going to be a groomsmen in his wedding several months later. Yes, it's an absolutely brutal job but calling friends personally means so much to people. You were right not to ask details IMO. That can come later, just give love and if you know his family or where they live, definitely bring them food! 

Triage    7,642

That sucks sorry to hear that :rose: 

Back in 2005 my and my ex husband's best friend committed suicide. We saw him couple days earlier. I still remember I was pregnant with my youngest when he called one night and my ex talked to him over the phone. I didn't ask what's up it was late and I was not feeling well. Next morning I asked my ex what did Lester need. He told me he called to say he appreciates our friendship and to please for my husband to take care of me and be the best father he can be. I went into panic mode because that sounded to me right away a goodbye call. I couldn't get hold of him so we called the parents and they found him hanging. To this day i wish I was the one that got the call. 

SFLUFAN    9,443

As someone who lost a family member to suicide, the best advice that I can give you right now is just to talk: family, friends, fellow D1Pshits, whoever - it really doesn't matter, just talk.

If you feel yourself slipping into a state of depression, then speak with a psychological counselor who is trained to address these kind of situations. They will give you professional advice on how to work through your feelings.

Joestradamus    127

@brandino I'm incredibly sorry to hear this, suicide is such a heavy thing to deal with. I almost went through with suicide when I was much younger, it was a hellish time for me... my best to his family and yours.

@Biggie_Rich, I'm also incredibly sad to hear this about your sister. *hugs* I just can't even imagine... :(

therockdltj    508

Sorry to hear about your friend. :rose:

Back when I was still in high school my brother-in-laws cousin who I knew committed suicide because his girlfriend broke up with him. The worst part was that he had 3 children who found him hanging in the closet. Their mother had called the house and they told her he was sleeping and they couldn't get him to wake up.