Sign in to follow this  
Slug

GenCon 50 | August 17-20, Indianapolis Convention Center

Slug    954

The Best 4 Days in Gaming

http://www.gencon.com

We're only a few months away.  Registration is open and event registrations open on 5/28.  This is a fun thread each year.  Post the games, cosplays, sights, and experiences of GenCon.

I've got my 4 day badge and my group of gaming pals and I decided to pass on the hotel + conference room for late night gaming thing and just rented a big ass house downtown for the week.

This is the 50th Anniversary so it should be a big one.  The event is expanding to hold additional events at nearby Lucas Oil Stadium including an exclusive concert by They Might be Giants!

So who else is going?  Even if you aren't attending GenCon, who will be in the area that week?  I'll buy the first round for any D1Pshits that show up. *

* - Offer open to D1Pshits aged 21 years and over. :P

Slug    954
6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Remember when I showed up to your hotel room? :P

We rented a whole house this year!  This one, to be exact!  You should finagle a work trip that week and come hang out one night. :)

DemonEyesJason    270

I may try to go this year since I've never been.  Not sure I'd want to do the whole 4 days though, but it would something I could do as I don't have month end closings unless I start a new job and don't get vacation.   But Indy is only 3 hours from me so I'll probably go.  I know I'll be going to Origins here in Columbus. 

Slug    954
On 8/6/2017 at 7:18 PM, DemonEyesJason said:

I thought about going for a day, but when I seen I was going to play $75 for one day, I decided to just go next year and save the money to use to buy 40k or Malifaux stuff.

So there are parties and events outside of the main convention as well.  A lot of game companies host happy hours, game demos, parties and more at bars and rooms around the convention.  Hell, I have a 4 day badge, but I'm only ticketed/scheduled for like 3 events all week.  Most of my "event" time is going to be at non-con events/after parties.  If you're not too far away you should still check out the area or check out the various game devs' sites to see what they have going on.

Also....3 days away!!

Slug    954
16 hours ago, DemonEyesJason said:

Well I'd have to drive about 3 hours from Columbus and then 3 hours home and I don't know if I really want to bother.  

Yeah that's a tough trip to justify if you aren't sure about it.

I'm leaving at 6am tomorrow morning.  Expect to get into Indy around 6 or 7pm, then the party starts!

DPCyric    34

So I really didn't think of it possibly selling out and I don't know if I will be making it (might have a distributor get me in on Sunday or hopefully pick up a pass from a friend who doesn't want to go on Sunday).

Slug    954
So I really didn't think of it possibly selling out and I don't know if I will be making it (might have a distributor get me in on Sunday or hopefully pick up a pass from a friend who doesn't want to go on Sunday).
If you do make it let me know. We have a house you can come and game in the evening. :)

- Slug

DemonEyesJason    270

I can see myself definitely going next year.  There seems to be enough stuff coming out early that I wish I was going.  But then again most of my Tabletop play the past couple of months has been D&D and 40k and I know 40k isn't going to release anything new there.

Slug    954
Someday I plan to paint mine, but I need a lot of practice with my 40k minis before I ever want to bother.
That's one part of the hobby I am not down with. I *hate* painting minis. I painted my Blood Bowl team and as far as I'm concerned I'll never paint another single fig. I have a buddy who is into painting that I will trade/pay for painting services. It's just not something I enjoy doing.

- Slug

DPCyric    34
On 8/17/2017 at 9:25 PM, Slug said:

That's one part of the hobby I am not down with. I *hate* painting minis. I painted my Blood Bowl team and as far as I'm concerned I'll never paint another single fig. I have a buddy who is into painting that I will trade/pay for painting services. It's just not something I enjoy doing.

- Slug

I just pass on games with unpainted minis for the most part sans stuff like Cthulhu Wars that use different colors for the factions. I didn't make it this year considering my time and funds were rather limited.