• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
GuyWhoPostsThings

NPD March 2017: Ghost Recon, Zelda, Mass Effect, Horizon, MLB all in top 5

23 posts in this topic

March retail game sales are up 24% year over year.

Hardware was up 91% year over year.

Console and Handheld game sales were up 5% year over year.

Physical and Steam PC software sales (for AAA games from participating publishers) were down 25% year over year.

Software:

Notes:
- Ghost Recon: Wildlands is the best ever Ghost Recon launch, and second best Tom Clancy launch after The Division.
- In reference to franchises: "Zelda is the top-selling property of all time within the Adventure super genre, selling 54 percent more revenue than the next best-selling franchise, Resident Evil."
- "Switch's packaged software sold 1.3m units, a record high for a Nintendo platform launch."
- Mass Effect: Andromeda had the second best launch behind Mass Effect 3.
- Horizon was the best Guerrilla debut ever, selling twice as much as their second best debut, Killzone: Shadow Fall.
- 1-2 Switch made the top 20 best-selling games chart with an attach rate of 19 percent.
- Starting next month, Microsoft's digital sales will be reflected in the software charts.
- We'll get a full year to date chart soon, but Ghost Recon is #1 for the year, For Honor is #2, and Zelda is #3 combining Switch and Wii U versions.

I hope Horizon is a sign to publishers that they shouldn't shackle talented devs with slowly dying franchises (looking at you, pretty much every MS owned dev).

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I hope Horizon is a sign to publishers that they shouldn't shackle talented devs with slowly dying franchises (looking at you, pretty much every MS owned dev).

Man, I REALLY feel for the personnel of 343 Industries and the Coalition (formerly Black Tusk).  Black Tusk had this pretty cool looking Splinter Cell-ish concept video at E3 2013:

And then they got turned into the "Gears of War Studio" :|

Surprised Wildlands and other crappy games are coming in on top month after month. Gamers must really be thirsty.

31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Surprised Wildlands and other crappy games are coming in on top month after month. Gamers must really be thirsty.

There's nothing surprising about it, nor is there anything thirsty about it. 

I don't think core gamers on message boards understand that Ubisoft games like Wildlands have a wide appeal, but time after time, the surprise is there. :P 

Zero Dawn sold around 2.6 million right, that was announced worldwide?  I would assume a majority of that was in the US?  I always wonder how big of a drop off there is after the top few newer releases.  

Also, is NPD just copies sold, or revenue brought in?  I saw something about GTAV being on there because of all the Shark Cards or whatever they sell for Online, but I thought NPD was just new games sold, not DLC and Micro-transaction stuff.  

1 minute ago, JPSoccer4 said:

Also, is NPD just copies sold, or revenue brought in?  I saw something about GTAV being on there because of all the Shark Cards or whatever they sell for Online, but I thought NPD was just new games sold, not DLC and Micro-transaction stuff.  

NPD switched to a revenue-based reporting model last year.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

NPD switched to a revenue-based reporting model last year.

Then that makes the GTAV numbers make a bit more sense, thanks.

Surprised by Ghost Recon though I guess I shouldn't be, with all the releases that came out it was the one game casual gamers I talked to would mention. I'm glad For Honor sold well actually, new ip, different concept for ubi, and a good game. Not bad for Zelda considering it's limited to a console nobody bought and another console nobody can find!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I wish old Ghost Recons sold like this. :(

They sold pretty well considering gaming wasn't nearly as mainstream or "cool" as it is now. But I get what you're saying. Part of me is like "yay Ghost Recon" but then i'm like "but now they'll just make more Ghost Recon games like this." The odd thing is I'm really enjoying Wildlands.. but mainly because I like games like that. I was a pretty big fan of Just Cause and let's face it.. Wildlands is Just Cause.

That being said.. I was playing it last night and I thought to myself.. "What if they had this entire map, but instead of making it open world, they just had tightly focused missions that slowly led you from one side of the map to the other? And it was all a seamless?" Then they could pull the camera in a bit and not be worried so much about the chase cam for cars and choppers.

Wildlands' biggest failure is that it pulls you too far back from the action. Even though GRAW's HUD was a mess, everything was in your face. I really liked that. Wildlands lacks that intensity because everything just looks like toys driving and flying around. None of it seems grounded and heavy and real. Just toys. Little remote controlled helicopters and planes.

10 hours ago, JPSoccer4 said:

Zero Dawn sold around 2.6 million right, that was announced worldwide?  I would assume a majority of that was in the US?  I always wonder how big of a drop off there is after the top few newer releases. 

2.6 million in under two weeks. Over a million in the US in March. We don't know the total worldwide numbers now.

On the chart, Zelda and Horizon don't include digital sales, so we don't know how they would affect chart rankings, or if they would.

It's good to see MS will include Digital numbers going forward, any word on Sony and Nintendo on that?  I saw some report that Digital Sales now make up like 70% of the market, but it included everything from Mobile/PC/Console/Tablet, ect.  So obviously everything on phones and tablets are digital, and essentailly PCs.  I think it'd be way more interesting to see whats going on in the Digital space on consoles.  I have been 100% digital this gen, and I know a lot of others that are the same, especially due to game sharing.  Has there been any companies to come out recently that shared their digital vs physical sales ratios recently.  

11 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

They sold pretty well considering gaming wasn't nearly as mainstream or "cool" as it is now. But I get what you're saying. Part of me is like "yay Ghost Recon" but then i'm like "but now they'll just make more Ghost Recon games like this." The odd thing is I'm really enjoying Wildlands.. but mainly because I like games like that. I was a pretty big fan of Just Cause and let's face it.. Wildlands is Just Cause.

That being said.. I was playing it last night and I thought to myself.. "What if they had this entire map, but instead of making it open world, they just had tightly focused missions that slowly led you from one side of the map to the other? And it was all a seamless?" Then they could pull the camera in a bit and not be worried so much about the chase cam for cars and choppers.

Wildlands' biggest failure is that it pulls you too far back from the action. Even though GRAW's HUD was a mess, everything was in your face. I really liked that. Wildlands lacks that intensity because everything just looks like toys driving and flying around. None of it seems grounded and heavy and real. Just toys. Little remote controlled helicopters and planes.

Wildands and Just Cause are two completely different games that share superficial similarities. There's no grapple and emphasis on over the top stunts in Wildands and Stealth will still serve you better than going in guns blazing because you can only take a couple of shots. You're a damn near super soldier in Just Cause. 

I wanna give Wildlands a try. I kinda abandoned Ghost Recon when it stopped being a tactical shooter. I am not sure when I can get it.

11 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I was a pretty big fan of Just Cause and let's face it.. Wildlands is Just Cause.

ronpaulwtf.jpg

10 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I wanna give Wildlands a try. I kinda abandoned Ghost Recon when it stopped being a tactical shooter. I am not sure when I can get it.

There's PLENTY of tactics in the game with the way me an @JPSoccer4 play. The only reason I stopped playing was because Mass Effect came out. The notion that there are not tactics in this game is laughable.

I think as more people find Switches, Zelda's numbers will only continue to skyrocket. If this game was multi-console (no, i'm not making an argument for Nintendo going multi-console, i'm just making a point), I have no doubt it would have been an 8-10 million seller in it's first month. It's sad, because everyone who owns any console should get to play this game. 

My switch should be back in my hands today. Oddly, Nintendo said they sent me a free gift for my troubles (when I sent it in, the first guy I spoke to promised it back within 5 working days from the day I shipped it, it's now been like 9 working days). I'm interested to see what it is. I would love them forever if it was an NES Classic :lol: But i'm guessing it's stickers or some shit. 

12 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

. I was a pretty big fan of Just Cause and let's face it.. Wildlands is Just Cause.

I only played the Beta but....  Wildlands is NOT Just Cause.  Much closer to a team-based 3rd-person Far Cry 3/4.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There's PLENTY of tactics in the game with the way me an @JPSoccer4 play. The only reason I stopped playing was because Mass Effect came out. The notion that there are not tactics in this game is laughable.

I am not questioning that it requires tactics. I grew up on playing Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six/SWAT and the newer games arent in the same league. They arent bad games but they don't deserve the name Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. For example I do enjoy the Vegas series alot and do want to play Wildlands. I think a 3rd person open world shooter would be fun.

The best comparison I can make would be the difference between Company of Heroes and Combat Mission or Close Combat.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/13/playstation-store-marchs-top-downloads-2/

PS4 Games
1 Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands
2 Horizon Zero Dawn
3 Mass Effect: Andromeda
4 MLB The Show 17
5 Battlefield 1
6 God of War III Remastered
7 EA SPORTS FIFA 17
8 Battlefield 4
9 Rocket League
10 Grand Theft Auto V
11 NieR: Automata