• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode D1Pcast Episode 28 - E3 2017 Rabbids Everywhere (Ft. SeVeN CDN and GuyWhoPostThings)   06/01/2017

E3 2017 has come and gone and now we are left with this empty feeling as we know we have to wait another 365 days for the next one. We [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected] I break down everything that was glorious (and not so glorious) at E3 2017. From EA's snoozefest to Microsoft's XOXO launch exclusivitiness to Devolver Digitals blood bath! So listen on in as we grade each conference and even have an extra special guest way in their thoughts on Ubisoft's conference in this months D1Pcast!      
Art Vandelay

Why doesnt Apple actually make high power hardware?

19 posts in this topic

It seems to me they could easily enter the high and mid range PC desktop market and actually have game support and make a pretty big dent into Windows.... so why dont they?

I prefer OSX to Windows 8+, and they could still have complete control over their products....

Is it because they still charge ridiculous amounts for their 'upgrades' when you try and make a Macbook/Imac? Like $300 for 8 more gigs of Ram and crap like that? And want to keep that gig going?

They can still be Premium priced products too... but even with their highest end stuff, if people want to game, they need to dual boot. It seems like a silly way to basically surrender a portion of the market to the competition. 

Basically if you are interested in gaming at all, you can have an Iphone, an Ipad, a Macbook.... but desktop wise, you need something that can run windows. Imacs dont cut it and pros are ridiculous.

There is basically a big whole in their ecosystem that they seem completely uninterested in. 

Even with Imacs, theyre not that ridiculously expensive when you take into account their moniters, which are pretty great. But graphically theyre running on mobile chips that dont game well. 

Is it becuase they havent been able to, in their entire history, make a decent mouse? And that it is the basis of gaming?

Apple is the only company in a position to own an entire ecosystem, from top the bottom. Yet it seems uninterested in doing so. Microsoft has largely failed on mobile. Google is reliant on Chrome and Android....

Seems like a no brainer to me. 

Well, there's that pesky little API known as Direct X. . . .that you won't get anywhere else but Windows.

Anyway, I always wondered why they didn't release a machine that sat between the iMac and the Mac Pro.   A headless tower called just The Mac.

Direct X is only dominant because gaming is a Windows affair. If Apple really pushed, and given the strength of the PS4 and mobile on Opengl and the like.... they could actually get a decent competitor up.

But since Apple doesnt care and Linux doesnt have the muscle behind it to do much.... nothings going to happen on the desktop scene. 

I'd love to ditch Windows for gaming.  

It's pretty funny that a company like Bungie used to be a Mac developer.  

I'm also in the boat that I'd ditch Windows if Apple supported gaming.

Nvidia just announced beta drivers for Pascal cards (including the new TITAN Xp) for Mac, so hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Apple hasn't updated their bootcamp graphics drivers in over a year. If only they weren't so hard on for control and just let ATI do it. I think this may be my last Mac.

5 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Apple hasn't updated their bootcamp graphics drivers in over a year. If only they weren't so hard on for control and just let ATI do it. I think this may be my last Mac.

PC Master Race! (Don't even own a good PC!)

On 4/7/2017 at 10:23 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Direct X is only dominant because gaming is a Windows affair. If Apple really pushed, and given the strength of the PS4 and mobile on Opengl and the like.... they could actually get a decent competitor up.

But since Apple doesnt care and Linux doesnt have the muscle behind it to do much.... nothings going to happen on the desktop scene. 

It's worse than that.  Instead of supporting OpenGL and Vulkan Apple decided to make their own API Metal.

4 hours ago, Engel said:

It's worse than that.  Instead of supporting OpenGL and Vulkan Apple decided to make their own API Metal.

Vulcan came after Metal. 

I have a early 2015 27" 5k iMac w/ 4GHz i7 16GB RAM 512GB flash and R9 295X w/ 4GB.

It does very well for gaming both in macOS and bootcamping Windows 10. Granted I mostly play games like WoW, ESO, GW2, Dota 2, LoL and ARPGs (PoE etc), but I've been very impressed with it.

I also got a remarkable deal on it. I'm know for the cost I could have built a high end gaming PC, but I love the screen quality, the hardware design, and I prefer macOS for just about everything other than gaming support.

For the longest time, I was a huge proponent of Mac OS, but since Windows 10, my preference has shifted the other way. I now prefer Windows 10 to OS X--Win10 has everything I liked about OS X, improved upon it, and has a few things that OS X doesn't.

Windows version of Launchpad is FAR better, as it allows me to view my favorite programs on a pop-up, with a dedicated key (as opposed to a corner or hot-key), and I don't also have to have a dock that I can't get rid of--you should be able to choose between one or the other, Apple, not be required to have both at the same time.

And how doesn't OS X have window-snap? It's the simplest thing, and it's been in Windows for years, yet OS X simply doesn't have it. Yes, there is side-by-side apps, but nothing like what Windows has.

Before it used to be that you paid a premium for Mac computers because they came with amazing hardware, and an equally amazing operating system... now, Windows has at the very least caught up with (if not surpassed) OS X, and offers less expensive machines, with newer internal components. There just seems to be little reason to stick with a Mac these days. Even if you are knee deep into the ecosystem, there are still ways to get all your devices to interact if it's not all Mac.

Dunno, just doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot of value these days in owning a Mac... save for resale value, which is still sky high. 

There's a lot going on in this thread, and I mostly agree with all of the kvetching. Apple stumbled blindly like a drunken crazy hobo into owning the most popular gaming platform of all time. (iOS) Apple doesn't now, and never has had even a basic fundamental understanding of the gaming market. You're clamoring for what has been know for years as the elusive xMac. A headless iMac that isn't targeted at pros. There has always been a massive hole in their lineup and they've never wanted to fill it.

But whatever, this line made me chuckle...

On 4/7/2017 at 6:48 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Is it becuase they havent been able to, in their entire history, make a decent mouse? And that it is the basis of gaming?

apple%20mouse%20mac%20ad%201983.jpg

I think there are probably two different discussions here. One is "high powered hardware" in Macs. I think Apple is generally correct in that the iMac is enough for the vast majority of people, and it sounds like they're going to add another higher end iMac soon. They've recently admitted they screwed up with the Mac Pro and will finally rectify that next year. So I think they mostly know what they're doing in terms of creating computers for most people. I do think it's odd that they're so slow at catering to their highest end customers, but Apple has generally always aimed more at the mass market luxury segment.

As for gaming, I don't think that's something they have any real intention of going after. They seem to resist it even on iOS, they squandered opportunities to do better on the Apple TV so far, and while they occasionally pay lip service to it on the Mac, they don't seem to put much effort in. For the richest company in the world, it seems like they could do better if they wanted to, but they continuously choose not to and I have no good explanation for why that might be. 

Certainly with the Mac Pros, I think a more basic issue is that often the hardware (GPUs in particular) tended to be barely adequate and borderline dated even the moment they came out. I remember a while back the Mac Pro had an option of something like a Radeon 4850, or up to quad Radeon 4770s. Which weren't BAD options at the time but were not really on-par with the rest of the machine and which quickly became dated after release.

Not being a car guy bear with me if I botch the analogy a little here, but they seem to have this tendency to do the equivalent of selling you a Ferrari with a Camry engine in it. The Camry engine is probably perfectly capable of moving the Ferrari around at highway speeds...but why the fuck are you sticking a Camry engine in a Ferrari and not even offering the OPTION of upgrading to an appropriate engine?

On 4/9/2017 at 9:35 AM, fynd said:

Vulcan came after Metal. 

Yeah but they knew it was coming, and metal sitll lacks features opengl and vulkan have.

13 hours ago, Engel said:

Yeah but they knew it was coming, and metal sitll lacks features opengl and vulkan have.

Metal was released in June 2014.

Vulkan only began development in July 2014.

Vulkan had a pretty good starting foundation since it's built off of AMD's Mantle API which they pretty much handed over to Khronos.