LG OLED 65” C8PUA - good?

Oh, hey - if you want some short, easy demo material to show off your new TV to friends or to play around with TV settings/picture modes, you can go here and download some of the demo reels that TV manufacturers use in the store displays.  Load them onto a USB stick and fire them up on the TV. 

I'm a fan of the "Sony: Braia OLED HDR10" (currently on page 25) as my go-to though I certainly haven't checked them all out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nacthenud said:

Hmm... now that I don't have any experience with.  All of my audio goes into the TV and then gets passed through the TV out to the receiver, so there is no switching involved in any of my devices or built in apps.

The PS4 thing is driving me nuts. Any time I exit a TV-app it switches the receiver input to the PS4 and turns it on. Input one is CBL/Sat which is what I have my XboneX plugged into, BD Player (PS4) is #3 so this makes no sense why it keeps trying to default to the third input. 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The PS4 thing is driving me nuts. Any time I exit a TV-app it switches the receiver input to the PS4 and turns it on. Input one is CBL/Sat which is what I have my XboneX plugged into, BD Player (PS4) is #3 so this makes no sense why it keeps trying to default to the third input. 

Weird.  is the PS4 plugged into the ARC HDMI port?  I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Incidentally, if you go into the "All Inputs" menu you can rename your inputs. 

While there, if you change the icon for an input to the PC icon, then all picture modes (not just game mode) for that HDMI input will be low input-lag game modes.  This allows a variety of saved picture settings for playing games.  It will disable the ability to use certain image processing options, however, so this isn't desirable if you're also using that device to watch movies.

6 hours ago, nacthenud said:

Hmm... now that I don't have any experience with.  All of my audio goes into the TV and then gets passed through the TV out to the receiver, so there is no switching involved in any of my devices or built in apps.

Do you have an older receiver that doesn’t do the newer HDMI audio? Surprised you don’t use your receiver for simply switching your devices. I would take it the audio from the tv to the receiver is just opticle out, but you can’t enjoy the basics like TrueHD or DTS-HDMA (even sadder if you can do Atmos) I have my Marantz 7010 with all my devices hooked up by HDMI cable. One video out for my tv and one for my projector.

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The “Dolby Experience” app is amazing for demos. Check out the “Great Wall” Dolby Vision trailer. My god. :o 

So.... are you still regretting buying the TV or is that starting to fade?

28 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Do you have an older receiver that doesn’t do the newer HDMI audio? Surprised you don’t use your receiver for simply switching your devices. I would take it the audio from the tv to the receiver is just opticle out, but you can’t enjoy the basics like TrueHD or DTS-HDMA (even sadder if you can do Atmos) I have my Marantz 7010 with all my devices hooked up by HDMI cable. One video out for my tv and one for my projector.

It's true - I'm sadly lacking in the audio department.  My old 5.1 receiver doesn't even have a single HDMI input or output.  It's pretty old.  So yes, everything is going into it using the optical cable.  I would love to upgrade to a Dolby Atmos system, but I don't think I'll get my wife's blessing on that any time soon.

8 hours ago, nacthenud said:

So.... are you still regretting buying the TV or is that starting to fade?

It's true - I'm sadly lacking in the audio department.  My old 5.1 receiver doesn't even have a single HDMI input or output.  It's pretty old.  So yes, everything is going into it using the optical cable.  I would love to upgrade to a Dolby Atmos system, but I don't think I'll get my wife's blessing on that any time soon.

Movies seem to look great. Games... even when I figured out GoW, I’m not sure I really noticed the difference - I mean, there was a difference, but I think it was more from being rendered in 4k vs the previous super sampled 1080p I was playing in. Forza 7 had no difference either, maybe during replays there was a tiny difference. :/ 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

HDR is a placebo.

OMG, that is sooooo very untrue.  HDR done right is amazing!

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Movies seem to look great. Games... even when I figured out GoW, I’m not sure I really noticed the difference - I mean, there was a difference, but I think it was more from being rendered in 4k vs the previous super sampled 1080p I was playing in. Forza 7 had no difference either, maybe during replays there was a tiny difference. :/ 

I haven't actually played a ton of games in HDR yet, but Horizon Zero Dawn makes fantastic use of it.  Whenever I play it on a TV without HDR it makes me sad :p

3 hours ago, nacthenud said:

OMG, that is sooooo very untrue.  HDR done right is amazing!

I haven't actually played a ton of games in HDR yet, but Horizon Zero Dawn makes fantastic use of it.  Whenever I play it on a TV without HDR it makes me sad :p

Yea, watched an HDR YouTube clip, the highlights around enemies in the info-mode or whatever look way better in HDR with Horizon

21 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, watched an HDR YouTube clip, the highlights around enemies in the info-mode or whatever look way better in HDR with Horizon

What always makes me happy in that game is the HDR fire.  Or the glint of moonlight off a shiny surface.

• 1 month later...