LG OLED 65” C8PUA - good?

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have a link to the TV you're talking about? I tried to search for it and don't see a non UA model of that TV.

5 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Where are you buying from?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253616294985?afepn=5337259887&pguid=9b6d470c1420a5f16406ee16fafe1406&siteId=0&AdChoicePreference=true&rmvSB=true

That is a great price, but the difference from the 2017 to 2018 models isn’t that significant. You may be able to find a B7A for 1800ish. 

However, if you don’t want to wait and be extra few hundred isn’t a big deal, get on it!! 

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

That is a great price, but the difference from the 2017 to 2018 models isn’t that significant. You may be able to find a B7A for 1800ish. 

However, if you don’t want to wait and be extra few hundred isn’t a big deal, get on it!! 

My buddy bought a 65" B7A for $1400 from our local Fry's do to them making room for the 2018 models. I bought a 55" B7A for $940 out the door :dancing:

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Uuuuuugh

I keep going back to “but I want variable refresh rate” :cry:

Your gonna wait at least another year before more manufactures pick up VRR. I'd say do it and just sell your C8 when they finally come out with OLED VRR. It's a hassle but you'll enjoy a great TV in the mean time and have something to go towards a newer tv set.

The 2018 models offer very little improvement over the 2017s -- and that is going for about $600+ versus what you could have gotten a 2017 for a month ago.

Samsung TVs have been getting firmware upgrades to support FreeSync -- no word on whether that will come to LG TVS.

If I were you I would wait until the prices come down (the Black Friday deals have been pretty good on LG TVs for the last few years) and when the FreeSync situation becomes clearer.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Correct. That’s where VRR will be standard. I just keep thinking I should wait the 8-ish months. :/ 

I'm trying to hold out till then myself.  My Panasonic plasma was making the wait easy, but twice now, I've had a black bar run across the screen.  Hoping it'll hold out till next year as it's far too late into the game to be spending that kind of cash when such a huge update is so close. 

10 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I'm trying to hold out till then myself.  My Panasonic plasma was making the wait easy, but twice now, I've had a black bar run across the screen.  Hoping it'll hold out till next year as it's far too late into the game to be spending that kind of cash when such a huge update is so close. 

Which model do you have? I have a VT50

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Which model do you have? I have a VT50

GT30.  According to research online, it's apparently a well known issue that is caused by the ribbon cables.  Sometimes reseating them or cleaning the pins can fix it, but if the cable is bad, it cannot be replaced as it's fused under the glass. I'd try to inspect/clean mine, but I just don't want to mess around with the cables until I have another TV.  The last time it happened, powering the set on and off did nothing. Then, I pulled my Roku Stick out and it vanished immediately making me hope the heat from that sitick was causing issues.  

Apparently I don’t even have anything that uses Dolby Vision so losing it to go QLED wouldn’t be an issue :lol: 

Buuuuuut, I went to Best Buy and after the guy pointed out that slight “halo” in the black scenes of the demo vid, I can’t unsee it :p 

Uuuuuugh. Guess I’ll wait. :( 

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Apparently I don’t even have anything that uses Dolby Vision so losing it to go QLED wouldn’t be an issue :lol: 

Buuuuuut, I went to Best Buy and after the guy pointed out that slight “halo” in the black scenes of the demo vid, I can’t unsee it :p 

Uuuuuugh. Guess I’ll wait. :( 

The "halo" or blooming effect is from the local dimming. You can turn that off. It's a trade off in LCD where you want deep blacks but you get that effect or you don't want that effect but you wont have the deepest of blacks.

11 hours ago, The def star said:

The "halo" or blooming effect is from the local dimming. You can turn that off. It's a trade off in LCD where you want deep blacks but you get that effect or you don't want that effect but you wont have the deepest of blacks.

With it off, everything would just be a dark dray, though. :p