SFLUFAN

~*Official Project Scorpio Discussion Thread*~ - Post articles, videos, etc. about Scorpio here!

Do those huge positive surprises include games? Perhaps this is my ignorance talking, since I don't own a One but what notable 1st and 3rd party exclusive games have they released or have upcoming that have any sort of buzz around them? I'm not asking to troll, genuinely curious because my impression is that MS has given up on the current XBone in favor of the Scorpio and will release games that will not work on existing consoles. In other words, conceding this generation to Sony and jumpstarting a new one.

4 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Do those huge positive surprises include games? Perhaps this is my ignorance talking, since I don't own a One but what notable 1st and 3rd party exclusive games have they released or have upcoming that have any sort of buzz around them? I'm not asking to troll, genuinely curious because my impression is that MS has given up on the current XBone in favor of the Scorpio and will release games that will not work on existing consoles. In other words, conceding this generation to Sony and jumpstarting a new one.

According to Phil Spencer, the "mandate" is that there are to be no Scorpio exclusives (but let's see how long that one lasts).  As for exclusives, the only one that has any sort of "buzz" surrounding it is Crackdown 3.  While Spencer has repeatedly stated that Scorpio does not represent the start of a new generation, I don't think a single person actually believes that :P

3 minutes ago, Anzo said:

all new games will work on both systems. in probably 3years they will abandon xb1 support.     Crackdown will be the major AAA title from MS this year  and Forza 3.   People forget that the first 3years of ps4 had no big exclusives.    Phil has been on the job 3years so this year he will prob show games that started when he took over

5 minutes ago, Anzo said:

They didn't go to Digital Foundry to talk games.  They will really break down the hardware and do some bench marking or whatever it is they do.  

What I think we'll see is probably Forza 7 cause that's been hinted at, running at 4k 60fps I'd hope.  Then I think they may have some other existing 1st party games with the scaling resolutions show how that works, so probably Halo 5 running in 4k?  Then probably a few other titles that are getting boosted like Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3.  

It might not even show that many games, might really just be a deep dive into the specs and numbers, which I hardly understand anyway.  

I think this is a strange choice for a second reveal.  If it's just more numbers and some trailers of Forza and Middle Earth, who is really getting excited?  

Obviously, Microsoft paid attention to the early part of the generation when 1080p v 900p threads were the rage, but do they thinking having the most Ps matter for a console refresh?  Sony will just switch it up at E3 from the "most powerful" message to "games, games, and more games". Microsoft better have some hidden gems to announce and the price tag of $399.

15 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I think this is a strange choice for a second reveal.  If it's just more numbers and some trailers of Forza and Middle Earth, who is really getting excited?  

Obviously, Microsoft paid attention to the early part of the generation when 1080p v 900p threads were the rage, but do they thinking having the most Ps matter for a console refresh?  Sony will just switch it up at E3 from the "most powerful" message to "games, games, and more games". Microsoft better have some hidden gems to announce and the price tag of $399.

I wouldnt call it a Reveal.  more like a sneak peek with an indepth analysis of the hardware.  Digital foundary has been one of M$'s harshist criticizers.  The fact that they let them get the first look means they are extremely confident in the product they are about to release

It's essentially like bringing in Expert Witnesses to give their findings on what MS claim regarding performance, so that MS can then focus their time on games. 

Sony's Pro reveal was kind of lackluster cause showing HDR/4k on a stream,  and having Cerny talk specs didn't mean much.  Having a credible outside source focus on the tech and specs I think is a good way to go about it.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is beautiful, runs CG quality graphics at 4k and in VR, plays 4k movies and more.  They are in desperate need of new exclusive IPs.  Gears and Halo are still fine, but the glory days are over.  Aside from those, MS isn't bringing much to the table and of course it's the games that tend to decide a console's success more than anything.

14 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

For the 399 price tag, i don't really expect to see anything mind blowing.

What makes you think that it's gonna be $399?

ah ok my bad, so that still lines it up to potentially equal to a pspro with a good deal on a UHD player?  I honestly do hope it is something way better than the Pro.

It is the reason I haven't dived into a Pro yet.

Every time they have talked about price they have always reminded people that they view Scorpio as an 'elite' product in the same line as their 'elite' controller.  So I would really doubt a 399 price.  

7 minutes ago, number305 said:

Every time they have talked about price they have always reminded people that they view Scorpio as an 'elite' product in the same line as their 'elite' controller.  So I would really doubt a 399 price.  

Yup, a supposed native 4k gaming machine with a UHD player, cant see that going for less $500.

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

According to Phil Spencer, the "mandate" is that there are to be no Scorpio exclusives (but let's see how long that one lasts).  As for exclusives, the only one that has any sort of "buzz" surrounding it is Crackdown 3.  While Spencer has repeatedly stated that Scorpio does not represent the start of a new generation, I don't think a single person actually believes that :P

It's probably going to just play Xbone games at a native 4k, same detail settings, same framerate.

ie: Forza 7: base Xbone/S, 1080p and 60fps - Scorpio, 4k and 60fps.

From what they've said thus far, that's really all they seem to be shooting for, and it's a hefty goal as-is.

4 hours ago, TomCat said:

all new games will work on both systems. in probably 3years they will abandon xb1 support.     Crackdown will be the major AAA title from MS this year  and Forza 3.   People forget that the first 3years of ps4 had no big exclusives.    Phil has been on the job 3years so this year he will prob show games that started when he took over

Bloodborne blasts down the door and says, "oh hi."

14 minutes ago, TomCat said:

bloodborne is only published by sony. it didnt come from one of thier 1st parties

You said "exclusives", you didn't specify who it needed to be developed by.

2 hours ago, eggydoo said:

ah ok my bad, so that still lines it up to potentially equal to a pspro with a good deal on a UHD player?  I honestly do hope it is something way better than the Pro.

2 hours ago, eggydoo said:

It should be a lot more powerful than the semi-Pro :P 

3 minutes ago, Stickey said:

Is it possible that MS has there own VR headset and thats what were supposed to get excited about?  

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-acer-vr-mixed-reality-headset-developer-gdc-mwc-2017/

$399 is the price it needs, IMO.  Not because it's reasonable to expect, but because Microsoft doesn't have a strong selling point for it otherwise.

I'd want Microsoft to show us why this console should exist beyond hooking up to 4k television, PC-like visuals of PC games and late-to-the-party VR.  Something killer app-like with the UI and software would be ideal.