• Announcements

    • SFLUFAN

      D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,165 (as of March 22)   12/12/2016

      I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

      D1Pcast Episode 24 - Stuff has Ryzen (featuring NextGen and Lucian04)   03/01/2017

      On this episode we talk about the latest news that has...Ryzen from the tech world. Microsoft announces games as a service, @NextGen helps us talk about AMD and their new CPU and somewhere in here we have @Lucian04 talking to us about the salt mining business. We try to keep out Nintendo talk to a minimum but don't worry, we got lots of Nintendo talk on the next podcast! So join us as we have lots of stuffs to talk about in the latest edition of the D1Pcast!  Join us in this thread to discuss the show!   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/141114-d1pcast-episode-24-stuff-has-ryzenft-nextgen-lucian04/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TwinIon

Beauty and the Beast opens to stunning $170M

13 posts in this topic

I expected Beauty and the Beast to make money, but I had no expectation that it could possibly open to the $170M that it made over the weekend. That breaks the March record previously held by Batman v Superman and Deathly Hallows Part 2, is the largest PG rated opening ever (beating out Finding Dory by $35M), and makes it the 6th largest opening weekend of all time. I would have put it on the higher side of the recent live action reboots Disney's been doing, but that would still only get it just over ~$100M.

 

I guess I'm not in the target demographic, but it seems just about everyone else is. The film critics in my twitter feed have been ripping this one to shreds, but it's got a very respectable 70% on RT

 

Meanwhile, Logan crossed $500M WW, and will probably settle with somewhere between $600-700M, making it the third highest grossing X-Men film (behind Deadpool and Days of Future Past). A well deserved gross.

 

Kong had a respectable hold, but it's still only made $260M WW on a budget of $185M, so it's not the box office giant that WB needs.

 

Get Out made Jordan Peele the first black director to make $100M on his first film. I haven't seen it yet, but from all accounts, it's a well deserved success. So, what mega franchise is going to (or already has) offered him a gig? I hope he keeps doing his own thing, but you know that he's suddenly on some lists for the next Star Wars/Marvel/DC/whatever film.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B&tB is the in the sweet spot for its audience age-wise. Nostalgia and new eyes. There was no way it was going to be anything but huge.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These live action versions of cartoons really make bank. I also think it helps getting a bit more star power than the previous ones with Emma Watson.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 of the top 7 openers in North America are distributed by Disney.

 

The weekend in general is the highest-grossing weekend total since The Force Awakens released.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I expected Beauty and the Beast to make money, but I had no expectation that it could possibly open to the $170M that it made over the weekend. That breaks the March record previously held by Batman v Superman and Deathly Hallows Part 2, is the largest PG rated opening ever (beating out Finding Dory by $35M), and makes it the 6th largest opening weekend of all time. I would have put it on the higher side of the recent live action reboots Disney's been doing, but that would still only get it just over ~$100M.

 

I guess I'm not in the target demographic, but it seems just about everyone else is. The film critics in my twitter feed have been ripping this one to shreds, but it's got a very respectable 70% on RT

 

Meanwhile, Logan crossed $500M WW, and will probably settle with somewhere between $600-700M, making it the third highest grossing X-Men film (behind Deadpool and Days of Future Past). A well deserved gross.

 

Kong had a respectable hold, but it's still only made $260M WW on a budget of $185M, so it's not the box office giant that WB needs.

 

Get Out made Jordan Peele the first black director to make $100M on his first film. I haven't seen it yet, but from all accounts, it's a well deserved success. So, what mega franchise is going to (or already has) offered him a gig? I hope he keeps doing his own thing, but you know that he's suddenly on some lists for the next Star Wars/Marvel/DC/whatever film.

 

Get Out is VERY good and I'm CERTAIN he's being courted by both Marvel and WB/DC... I'd bet he's being courted for Green Lantern Corps. I know for a fact WB had offered it to Nate Parker before his career... got sidetracked.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else see it?  ugh.

it's not really what I'd call a bad movie but it's even worse than Cinderella, it's a scene by scene remake that is subpar to the original at every turn...

and can someone please explain to me how Josh Gadd has a career?  he just grates my nerves so badly, all I can think when I see him in a role is "Guess they couldn't get Jack Black huh?"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been looking forward to it, the animated film was a masterpiece, but I'm less excited to see it as listening to a couple of huge Disney fans review it. Sounds like they made some rather odd choices. I know I'll see it eventually, but after listening that review, as well as a few others (my god does it sound like Emma Thompson was horrible), I'll likely end up seeing it when it hits blu ray.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, misfit410 said:

Did anyone else see it?  ugh.

it's not really what I'd call a bad movie but it's even worse than Cinderella, it's a scene by scene remake that is subpar to the original at every turn...

and can someone please explain to me how Josh Gadd has a career?  he just grates my nerves so badly, all I can think when I see him in a role is "Guess they couldn't get Jack Black huh?"

 

He was fantastic in Book of Mormon 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

He was fantastic in Book of Mormon 

That was my first thought as well. I don't think there's anything else I loved him in, but he was perfect for that role.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GuyWhoPostsThings said:

6 of the top 7 openers in North America are distributed by Disney.

 

The weekend in general is the highest-grossing weekend total since The Force Awakens released.

Crazy part is that they still have a lot of other big movies throughout 2017!

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Thor: Ragnarok

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Cars 3

Coco

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-03-20 at 4:17 PM, Wild said:

B&tB is the in the sweet spot for its audience age-wise. Nostalgia and new eyes. There was no way it was going to be anything but huge.

 

I was thinking about that. I was born in 90, and the original film came out in 91 so I was raised on it. I was also raised on Harry Potter which I still love to this day. I saw B&TB last night and I LOVED it. I didn't understand why I loved a cheesy Disney movie that should be for kids but then I realized it's actually for ME like I'm exactly the target demo. There were no kids in the theatre either. Nice sneak attack, Disney. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0