• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skillzdadirecta

Anybody Else Playing The Gwent Beta?

30 posts in this topic

I'm playing the witcher 3 right now, and I got super addicted to gwent. I have four more cards to get to complete the collection, I'm just fast travelling around searching for more fools to beat. I'd definitely be down for a stand alone game. Is it still possible to get in the beta?

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

I'm playing the witcher 3 right now, and I got super addicted to gwent. I have four more cards to get to complete the collection, I'm just fast travelling around searching for more fools to beat. I'd definitely be down for a stand alone game. Is it still possible to get in the beta?

Not sure... I got accepted into the Beta about a week or two ago but I just started playing it today. Not sure how long the Beta is gonna be going either. Here's the website.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/

I got free key at Pax East, just haven't loaded it up yet. It was easily one of my favorite things about Witcher 3 so I can't wait to give it a try. 

11 hours ago, mo1518 said:

Look to twitter for keys and sign up at playgwent.com

Sent you a msg via PSN.

Close beta is only for XBone and PC though.

If people are interested and don't want to wait for CDPR to email you a code, go here, sign in with your FB, Youtube or Twitch account and you can get a key right now.

I've been pretty deep into it since the beta started. But since Northern Realms is garbage this patch I've scaled back a lot over the past couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, ThreePi said:

I've been pretty deep into it since the beta started. But since Northern Realms is garbage this patch I've scaled back a lot over the past couple of weeks.

Are they? That's who I've been playing as. The Monster Faction seems O.P. to me.

Monster and Skellige are on top right now, Scoi'atel has some decent decks, Nilfgaard and Northern Realms are kind of in the shitter. Northern Realms lacks any sort of big-power combos outside of Henselt + Margarita (which is not reliable), and every other faction has better tools to keep power on the board over multiple turns.

There's been a lot of talk about the next patch and some of the changes have been revealed, but while they intend to have a lot strength buffs to many units, it doesn't seem like they're really addressing the low combo potential very much.

I play Hearthstone, Elder Scrolls Legends, and Eternal at the moment.

I am in beta and tried Gwent, it is not super appealing to me, it seems more like solitaire then you are playing someone.

From the little reading i have done it seems like a big money sink. Not that i am opposed to spending money, but i currently have 3 card games i do spend money on.

On 3/20/2017 at 11:27 AM, Anzo said:

If people are interested and don't want to wait for CDPR to email you a code, go here, sign in with your FB, Youtube or Twitch account and you can get a key right now.

Thanks! I have been trying to get into the beta since I first heard about it becoming it's own game. I loved playing Gwent in the Witcher 3. Went all around collecting all the cards. 

I just finished the tutorial and built a deck and I must say this game is amazingly polished. They definitely took a good look at what makes Hearthstone so appealing. I was very disappointed how Magic the Gathering lacked personality and charm compared to Hearthstone and it seems Gwent learned from that. With this and Un'Goro coming out I'm gonna spend some serious money on card games lol. 

When building my first deck I'm starting with the Skellige deck as I loved that part of the game in the Witcher 3. I think I mostly played Scoia'tael previously in the Witcher 3. I can see myself playing multiple decks in this game. 

I'm really enjoying Gwent! There has been a recent patch that has added some new cards where positioning on the board makes a difference. They also added an updated UI and player taunts.

I'm liking this because your deck has to be comprised of a couple of strategies in case you don't pull out the cards you need. Learning what cards I need to pull to counter certain factions. Hopefully they can come out with a mobile version because Hearthstone is becoming quite stale with the current meta. Hoping that Un'Goro will change that but knowing the community people will just stick to decks that work after someone finds an OP deck.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I'm really enjoying Gwent! There has been a recent patch that has added some new cards where positioning on the board makes a difference. They also added an updated UI and player taunts.

I'm liking this because your deck has to be comprised of a couple of strategies in case you don't pull out the cards you need. Learning what cards I need to pull to counter certain factions. Hopefully they can come out with a mobile version because Hearthstone is becoming quite stale with the current meta. Hoping that Un'Goro will change that but knowing the community people will just stick to decks that work after someone finds an OP deck.

I'm enjoying Gwent a lot too. I haven't played since the patch but I'm digging it.

I think what I like about it is that so far when I have lost I don't feel cheated. At least not yet :P But I'm still doing my casual matches so I'm sure I haven't seen what the meta truly is. Also I like that there are ties in this game and that games are fairly quick. I think I'm about to invest in $70 worth of cards tonight.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Some of the decks are O.P. as hell, I'm wondering if they fixed the balance at all.

Well it's a closed beta so they still have a lot of tinkering before launch. I have heard with the recent update there are some fucked up NR decks lol.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/filedata/fetch?id=8254700&d=1490799192

I'm hopeful that it will get figured out.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

Well it's a closed beta so they still have a lot of tinkering before launch. I have heard with the recent update there are some fucked up NR decks lol.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/filedata/fetch?id=8254700&d=1490799192

I'm hopeful that it will get figured out.

Dayum!

I have it and played some games, but I just can't get that into these card games.  I'd refuse to ever do research into what makes the best decks, spending the time building decks, and all that other stuff that seems to come with this, plus the extra financial requirements to be competitive.  

I enjoyed Gwent a lot in the game, but don't see myself ever putting much time into any of these card games.  

23 hours ago, JPSoccer4 said:

I have it and played some games, but I just can't get that into these card games.  I'd refuse to ever do research into what makes the best decks, spending the time building decks, and all that other stuff that seems to come with this, plus the extra financial requirements to be competitive.  

I enjoyed Gwent a lot in the game, but don't see myself ever putting much time into any of these card games.  

If you play the game and learn the mechanics you don't really have go research to make a playable deck. But ultimately it comes down to if you enjoy these types of games. Gwent in Witcher 3 is actually what got me into CCGs interestingly enough lol. It's what got me into Hearthstone as Gwent in Witcher 3 was very limited and wanting more for my CCG itch. 

On 3/30/2017 at 8:15 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

PS4 Users get the beta this weekend... 

https://www.playgwent.com/en/news#5150

All of you PS4 guys should try it.

I wonder if it will do cross platform between all platforms. Right now Xbox and PC players can play against each other wonder if PS3 players will join in as well. That would be pretty sweet.

I just bought 60 kegs and so far I'm getting ideas for all kinds of decks

Mainly focusing on Skillege and Monster faction but also want to make a couple of Nilfgaard decks and Nothern Realms. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Wait you have to buy card packs? That's a deal breaker for me unless I can be competitive without buying them. 

This is a CCG after all and this is how CDPR is gonna make their money off a free to play game. But I have been competitive before buying anything. The way Gwent is played is the there are several strategies depending on your card collection and leader you pick. Lots of times I have lost simply because I played the wrong card at the wrong time or round. Purchasing new card simply gives you additional ways to play but wouldn't say it's play to win at least in the beta. Other than the few broken cards that break the game in the beta there isn't a one card wins everything. You don't even have to pay real money to get more cards as you earn in game currency to get free kegs. You can even get rid of extra cards or cards you don't plan to use to craft the ones you want. 

Buying cards gives you more variety to more viable decks. A competitive deck can consist of 25-40 cards. The way the game is played is you will only pull 10 random cards from your deck in the beginning. You can swap and replace three if you want. There are 3 rounds and after the first you will pull 2 more cards. Then after the second you get 1 more. So you will have to construct a tight deck if you want to synergies for the best possible combo plays. It's quite fun trying different cards to work together. Starting out my Skillege deck i had a few bear cards i got from playing for free to make some cool combinations. So I bought some cards to refine my bear deck. There are easy ways to counter me but that's why you gotta play the right cards at the right time.

Honestly if you have any interest in Gwent get yourself access to the beta. You don't have to spend any money to enjoy the game in casual matches and like I said by playing you will earn more cards for your collection. And if it's not your cup of tea you didn't spend any money.

This is a CCG after all and this is how CDPR is gonna make their money off a free to play game. But I have been competitive before buying anything. The way Gwent is played is the there are several strategies depending on your card collection and leader you pick. Lots of times I have lost simply because I played the wrong card at the wrong time or round. Purchasing new card simply gives you additional ways to play but wouldn't say it's play to win at least in the beta. Other than the few broken cards that break the game in the beta there isn't a one card wins everything. You don't even have to pay real money to get more cards as you earn in game currency to get free kegs. You can even get rid of extra cards or cards you don't plan to use to craft the ones you want. 

I didn't think so. Honestly I like earning in game currency to buy card packs. I also didn't realize this was a free to play game so I probably will throw them a couple of dollars.

I also didnt realize this was going to be f2p lol. Would have preferred just buying the game and then any expansion packs if I wanted to. 

I loved Gwent in W3 so Im gonna play it but we'll see how long it's fun without having to buy more than ~40 bucks worth of stuff. 

I finally started playing rank and it isn't so bad at least at the low levels. A couple of Henselt players which aren't too bad but still think they need tweaking with their promote cards and leader powers. I have been using my Skillege bear deck which have been doing pretty well as of recently. Leveled up to rank 3. The only thing I notice is a lot of people forfeit a lot more often in rank and don't gg. Which is funny because if you lose and don't gg me I won't gg you :P So no scrap for you! Have you tried the game yet @johnny

On 3/31/2017 at 6:50 PM, johnny said:

I also didnt realize this was going to be f2p lol. Would have preferred just buying the game and then any expansion packs if I wanted to. 

I loved Gwent in W3 so Im gonna play it but we'll see how long it's fun without having to buy more than ~40 bucks worth of stuff. 

I haven't spent a DIME on this game. For every hundred ore you can buy a barrel which gives you five cards and one unique one. I'm on my way to finishing a couple of decks and I don't forsee having to EVER spend any money.