Biden signs bill ending forced arbitration in sexual assault, harassment cases

ZOYMT7E3I4I6ZGMHTXHO4YVD6Y.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

A bill that was passed with strong bipartisan support seeks to nullify forced arbitration clauses for workplace sexual assault cases, allowing survivors to file lawsuits in court against perpetrators.

"Between half and three-quarters of all women report that they have faced some form of sexual harassment in the workplace," Biden said. "And too often they're denied a voice and a fair chance to do anything about it. Today, we send a clear and strong message that we stand with you for safety, dignity and for justice."

The new law will nullify agreements between employees and their employers in which the employees waive their rights to sue in the case of sexual assault or harassment and instead are required to settle their disputes by arbitration. Harris told those gathered that the new law will make America's workplaces more just.

Last month, the House passed the bill, 335-97; the Senate passed it on a voice vote. Gillibrand touted it then as "one of the most significant workplace reforms in American history," while Graham defended the bill against some Republican criticism that it would be bad for businesses.

"It does not hurt business to make sure that people who are harassed in the workplace get treated fairly," Graham said then.

"I could have never imagined that five years ago after filing my harassment lawsuit against chairman and CEO of Fox News, Roger Ailes, that this day of real change could actually come back," Carlson added.

In November, four sexual assault and harassment survivors testified before the House Judiciary Committee and described how being forced to go through the arbitration process only further traumatized them.

• Like 4

i think eliza dushku had to do arbitration for her sexual harassment case against michael weatherly and she said it sucked and she had to sign a non-disclosure agreement. like there’s tape of the things he said to her but it wasn’t allowed to be released. would be interesting if any of that stuff could be leaked now. this is an article she wrote about the whole thing. 

ITG55RQEJII6TDUS3DLL4CMTZ4.jpg
WWW.BOSTONGLOBE.COM

I do not want to hear that I have a “humor deficit” or can’t take a joke. I did not over-react. I took a job and because I did not want to be harassed, I was fired.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Forced arbitration of any sort should be illegal except for a highly specific (and constantly re-vetted) list of exceptions, period. So dumb that we have shit like this to begin with.

If Google wants an arbitration agreement with AT&T, fine. But they shouldn't be able to have them with their customers or employees.