• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
grimesplaya85

Dating & Feminism

128 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, kaberle said:

See

dismissing rape as a possibility is part of the primary methods of supporting the rape culture you inconsistent shit lord. And men being raped isn't as bad as women being raped ITT.

http://time.com/3393442/cdc-rape-numbers/

shitlord

Again, look over my post and realize I've never dismissed the fact that men experience rape.  And my overall sentiment was men being raped by WOMEN is in general less common and less of a violent, traumatic experience than the other way around.  Little in the article refutes my stance there although I just learned about men technically being forced into sex they don't want by women being more common than previously reported.  But there are different power dynamics at play, so "banging that girl even though I didn't want to" is a different beast then being female forced into intercourse or being sexually assaulted against your will by a more powerful individual (or another woman).  There are some exceptions, like when a male child is abused by an older, trusted female, or when a male is forced into a sex act against his will (usually asleep) by a female family member, a gay male is forced into sex or sexually assaulted by a female, etc.  But those are exceptions to the rule that, overall, adult women forcing adult straight men into a sex act lacks the devastating effect of power/violence that harms women when the roles are reversed.

And never did I downplay the prevalence and violence of men being raped by other men, which can be as devastating as women being raped by men, of course.  But again, it is a reflection and enactment of (primarily)  toxic masculinity.  THAT is the throughline.  Also:

But if that’s the case, it is just as misleading to equate a woman’s experience of alcohol-addled sex with the experience of a rape victim who is either physically overpowered or attacked when genuinely incapacitated. For purely biological reasons, there is little doubt that adult victims of such crimes are mostly female—though male children and adolescents are at fairly high risk: as criminologists Richard Felson and Patrick Cundiff report in a fascinating recent analysis, a 15-year-old male is considerably more likely to be sexually assaulted than a woman over 40.

The article apparently arrives at a very similar conclusion that I have, so so much for your rebuttal.  It is absolutely possible to experience sexual assault by an older woman when you're a child or adolescent, but even still, we're often talking about different power dynamics in most cases.  Note the psychological ramifications of straight teen boys who sleep with a female teacher vs. teen girls who are forced to have sex with an adult male.  More of an abuse of power in the second scenario.  Also the power dynamics can be different regarding sex abuse and LGBT individuals, but again, the throughline is toxic masculinity.  Most adult men, especially physically powerful men, simply do not know what the weight of rape culture feels like unless they go to prison or something akin to that, which is something I don't wish on anyone except people like rapists, etc.  Have a nice day :) 

So it's only rape if you're literally held down or havevthe shit beat out of you? You're postulating that unless there's that type of behavior rape is either not actually rape or not really bad. What utter nonsense and the fact you're doubling down here is bad. That's dismissive and disgusting and is rape culture. You're dismissing sexual trauma cause reasons.

Admit your hypocrisy.

@Lucian04

14 minutes ago, kaberle said:

So it's only rape if you're literally held down or havevthe shit beat out of you? You're postulating that unless there's that type of behavior rape is either not actually rape or not really bad. What utter nonsense and the fact you're doubling down here is bad. That's dismissive and disgusting and is rape culture. You're dismissing sexual trauma cause reasons.

Admit your hypocrisy.

@Lucian04

FYI just edited my post for clarity a few seconds before you posted.  Also, no, that was never my argument.  Obviously there are many kinds of rape (sexual manipulation of someone unaware of it, sexual assault, sexual contact while someone is sleeping that they are unaware of, forced sexual intercourse, and more).  That goes without saying.  I alluded to and gave specific examples of different kinds of female on male rape (both passive and otherwise) in my previous post, which you would've picked up on had you read it and/or comprehended it thoroughly. And the edited version further clarifies my points.  

Both men and women feel the effect of rape culture, even though women tend to feel the weight of it more.  If you were a useful ally you'd have acknowledged that by now instead of making it about you when it isn't about you  :)

17 hours ago, user19842x15 said:

When I see a woman I find attractive I go out of my way to ignore them as much as possible. Someone's gotta do it!

I'm sure they don't even notice you doing as much. 

11 hours ago, Boyle5150 said:

I'm sure they don't even notice you doing as much. 

k