• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skillzdadirecta

In This Increasingly Digital Age...

28 posts in this topic

I can't recall the last time I bought a physical movie, but I'm also not a collector. I prefer digital.

I still buy blu-rays if it's cheap and I want to add it  to my collection.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do you still buy Blurays? Especially with UHD on the Horizon? If I buy, I tend to get the Combo that comes with a Bluray, DVD and Digital Copy.

Yes, I absolutely still purchase Blu-rays, especially as I have no plans to own a UHD TV anytime in the foreseeable future.

Streaming bitrate: 7Mbps

BD bitrate: 40Mbps

Yeah, I still buy discs. Not to mention for Master and Atmos audio tracks. 

Yup, I still buy blu rays regularly. 

I don't buy a ton of movies, though. I mean, not like some movies buffs do. We rip them and stick em on the NAS.

4 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Streaming bitrate: 7Mbps

BD bitrate: 40Mbps

Yeah, I still buy discs. Not to mention for Master and Atmos audio tracks. 

That is my big reason for staying with the physical format. I just upgraded this past Boxing Day for a Marantz sr7010 9.1(11.1 Amped) DTS:X/Dolby Atmos receiver.  Plus i do like my steelbooks and 3D films. Used to pick steelbooks over my 3D films, but have switched to 3D over steelbook when i got my projector 2 years back that does 3D. I just wish more companies would include Atmos sound and go the same route as Sony and release the movies in a 4K-3D-Blu-ray-UV copy combo release.

I don't see how anyone can be a PC gamer and not buy blu rays. It just seems weird to favor one medium's quality and have no regard for another.

Of course I buy blu rays. Best video/audio quality you can get, and I rip it to my media server. If I could buy movies digitally and actually take ownership of the content versus just a license to watch, I would be much more likely to invest in digital.

4 hours ago, silentbob said:

That is my big reason for staying with the physical format. I just upgraded this past Boxing Day for a Marantz sr7010 9.1(11.1 Amped) DTS:X/Dolby Atmos receiver.  Plus i do like my steelbooks and 3D films. Used to pick steelbooks over my 3D films, but have switched to 3D over steelbook when i got my projector 2 years back that does 3D. I just wish more companies would include Atmos sound and go the same route as Sony and release the movies in a 4K-3D-Blu-ray-UV copy combo release.

I JUST ordered a BenQ HT2050 which will be here tomorrow. So happy to have a projector again. Should end up with about a 125" image. :sun:

If it's something that I will watch repeatedly, I want to fully own it, so I'll buy the physical media, but I'm not one of those people who just buys Blu Rays just to build a movie library.  I know someone like that.  They have shelves full of unopened discs.

The problem with digital movies is the price, the quality, and the incompatibility between vendors. I'm fine with it mostly because I buy Blurays with uv codes so that I can watch movies using Vudu while gaming. I save money this way anyway.

20 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Do you still buy Blurays? Especially with UHD on the Horizon? If I buy, I tend to get the Combo that comes with a Bluray, DVD and Digital Copy.

if they come in the combo pack that's what I get

I buy BDs still because:

-Visual fidelity on a stream hasn't matched BD
-I don't want my library spread out over several services (Amazon, Google, Vudu, etc. My digital library would be fractured if it weren't for Plex)
-BDs are cheaper most of the time

That's also why I still buy CDs. But for books and games I have gone completely digital.

I buy Blu-rays, but I only buy like 4 or 5 movies a year at this point... and it's mostly kids movies.

I used to buy like 4 or 5 DVDs a month at the height of the DVD collecting craze. Man, I would love to have that money back.

99% of my DVD collection is boxed up in my basement. 

While I am a millennial I hate streaming. The quality is really bad compared to a blu ray. I tend to only purchase movies I really like or TV shows I really like. 

It hit me when I was watching the Clone Wars cartoon. I didnt pick up season 5 and watched it on Netflix and it looked so bad compraed to my blu ray sets. 

I like the convenience of streaming but I have a nice TV/monitor and want to get the best out of them. For example Sailor Moon Crystal is online in its entirety and dubbed no less but I am waiting for future blu ray releases. (Season 1 is all that is out on blu ray so far)

All I have are BD(it's usually of something I've already seen and like enough to watch multiple times) or I stream(either from the usual places or files stored on my NAS).

I had a pretty big DVD collection until maybe 18 months ago.  I sat boxes of DVD's on the curb, and they were gone in like a half hour.

I too like the convience of streaming, but like you said before. We aren't there yet for the quality I expect from a bluray of UHD disc. My buying habit is a lot more manageable and don't buy as many "I kind of want to see that movie sometime" impulse buy (most of the time. Still a problem with 3D releases) I will now wait it out for it to hit Netflix. Also the disappearance of Blockbuster Video and Rogers Video used movies has also helped that cause as well. Pretty easy for me to walk in and just buy 5-6 movie that were $7-10. As of now I think close to 700 bluray and about the same in DVDs (titles wise, and not including multiple discs in set)  

I haven't had surround sound set up in years, but if I did then I might buy some Blu-rays for movies that are showcase surround sound experiences. I also don't tend to buy movies anyhow, I'm more likely to rent something on Amazon than I am to buy something and even renting on Amazon is something I do rarely. If I were buying the streaming licenses then I'd probably think harder about whether I shouldn't be buying a Blu-ray instead.

I still buy Blu Rays but nowhere as much as I used to. I still rather have a physical copy than digital but I've learned not to turn away the digital option. 

I don't buy anything, Netflix and Spotify is all I need. And if it's not there I have other means.

I find that buying physical media is the best value if I'm going to buy a movie.

I typically only buy 4K now, I might save a few bucks buying digital but then it's tied to one platform, if I buy a movie especially if it's Disney (which I do buy even though they don't have 4K) I typically get a 4K or 3D copy, a Bluray copy, a digital copy that then can usually be tied to several accounts at once (I know with Disney it shows up on Amazon, Google Play, Microsoft and iTunes).

Considering that I feel like most of the companies are getting it right in providing a lot of value.

I tend to not buy movies that are widely available on stream/cable.  Most of those fall into the horror genre,

Recent purchases:

Mad Max: High Octane mainly for the Black & Chrome version

Waxwork 1 & 2

Blood Diner

I don't buy nearly as many movies as I used to. I do a lot of digital rentals. When I do buy movies, it's almost always on Blu-Ray unless it's really really cheap digitally, and I try to make sure that my Blu-Ray copies always have a digital one.

With UHD, I'm conflicted. I want to buy UHD copies of movies, but Disney (maybe others?) doesn't sell UHD versions in ANY format, digital or otherwise. I'm not really keen on upgrading to a UHD disc format, but I'd be tempted if every studio was already on board, and I got UHD digital copies along with the physical copy.

If Amazon sold UHD digital copies at a reasonable price, I'd consider it. I'd consider Google Play as well, but I'm not spending $30 for a digital UHD copy with no extras.