• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SFLUFAN

New Project Scorpio info: UHD player, supersampling for 1080p TVs, internal PSU, and UHD game DVR

118 posts in this topic

On 2017-03-15 at 7:48 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Reading is nerdy bitch shit.

Like input lag!

Tomcat is overestimating its power. I remember he did the same thing in similar threads before the Xbox One was announced. I'll see if I can dig up some goodies.

Edit

He was greatly overestimating the specs and was basically convinced we would get a 16 core processor, when in reality we got a shitty 8 core jaguar that was already basically obsolete by the time it came out.

I wonder if he works at Gamestop or Best Buy. What he's saying kinda sound like what the idiots there spout off.

"Dude you need to preorder this console, its gonna be so powerful it will run any game flawlessly. It's so advanced it can reach into your pants and suck your dick!"

1 hour ago, Rbk_3 said:

Like input lag!

Tomcat is overestimating its power. I remember he did the same thing in similar threads before the Xbox One was announced. I'll see if I can dig up some goodies.

Edit

He was greatly overestimating the specs and was basically convinced we would get a 16 core processor, when in reality we got a shitty 8 core jaguar that was already basically obsolete by the time it came out.

I remembered that but was too lazy to dig it up. Hats off to you, sir! :fedora: 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I remembered that but was too lazy to dig it up. Hats off to you, sir! :fedora: 

Haha simple google search for "dayonepatch.com Durango" and it was the first thing that popped up. 

11 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

Haha simple google search for "dayonepatch.com Durango" and it was the first thing that popped up. 

Don't make me take that up-vote away! :nottalking: 

Lol you were driving the hype train full speed ahead. 

TomCat said:

I believe that a 16core cpu is easily possible.   Now I dont know the Formula for heat Reduction due to die size but as I've stated before.  The power7  has been out for years and is running 100-170TDP at 45nm.    Manufacturing that same Processor at a 22nm level will greatly reduce the heat.  I'm pretty sure that M$ will have the same agreement with IBM that they had with the 360.  Pay Ibm for the Design of the CPU and have whoever they want Manufacture the parts.  when they did it with the 360 they ended up putting the cpu and Xenos plus the edram all on the same die. They can easily do the same thing with the 720 because the parts have been out for a while now so miniturization  is easily possible.

On 2012-04-16 at 9:29 AM, TomCat said:

Did some Research over the weekend. I read all kinds of tech Sites. I've heard that we have some Game Developers on the board. Not sure who they are but the Guys over @Beyond3d Which has alot of gaming programmers as members.

Most of them think that it's easily possible for M$ to include a 16core cpu in the 720. In Fact some of them think it will be EASIER to put the 16core into the 720 then it was to put the 3core Xenon into the 360.

If the current 16core chip which is manufactured at 45nm was manufactured @32nm It would be Smaller then the Xenon Chip when it was first manufactured.

Xenon uses 80watts. The 16core cpu is being caculated @80 watts @ 32nm If they can manufactuer at 22nm then M$ should have no problems at all cooling this thing.

original Xenon was 170mm Reduced power7 @32nm is 130-150mm Smaller then Xenon

The big thing is Costs. But remember M$ will be Bidding this thing to the Chepest Bidder. IBM produces their own chips so we dont know the true costs.

I think it's time to get excited for the new systems

On 2012-04-11 at 1:23 PM, TomCat said:

Programming in parallel is programing in parallel. You just extend it out to more threads. Not something big that needs to be overcomed. It was a big deal for the 360 and ps3 because it was new to gaming. Dev. are used to it now and it is not the issue it was when cell and Xenon came out.

Really dont understand why you dont think 16cores is possible. Ibm has been producing the CHIPS for YEARS. The Guys at Beyond 3d had a discussion about it and Said that it would easily be possible. Alot of things can be stripped out of the processor that are not benificial to games that can reduce the heat and size of the proc. You can also decrease the Clock speed to reduce heat even further. Then there is the Drop in die size that would reduce Pwr requirements and Heat.

So yes it is possible And Easily Possible.

On 2012-04-11 at 2:14 PM, TomCat said:

M$ will be buying in Bulk so the cost will not be as high as ibm. Plus they have the added benifit of just paying IBM for the Chips designs and are Free to have it Manufactured by the cheepest bidder.

look at all that good speculation.  With dies sizes and everything to back up my speculation.  To be honest I dont remember most of that. thats around the time of my strokes.  But when I spout the Shit that I do I dont throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.  I base it on what I know in real life.  Ive been working with electronics and computers all my life.  Trouble Shot electronics in the navy down to component level. Now I'm a retired network technician.

Again i only report what I see coming out of developers and programmers mouth. Am I always right. NOPE  but I base my opinion from what I hear from people in the industry.  Everything that has come out about Scorpio is that its a 4k60 MONSTAR.   Only site to disparage the Scorpio is digitial foundry saying its going to have Jaguar cores.  Developers are saying its a great machine and Stronger then M$ has indicated to the public so far.   Monolith,343, and Ori and the blind forest developer

Only thing False about that info i provided is that they decided to use some cheap ass jaguar core with no hyperthreading or smt as amd likes to call it.  8core with 8 virtual cores was easily possible back then.  M$ went cheap and paid for it.  thats why they are over compensating with the scorpio.  They are trying to get thier original Hardcore Fans back from the og xbox era when they had the King Machine

2 minutes ago, TomCat said:

look at all that good speculation.  With dies sizes and everything to back up my speculation.  To be honest I dont remember most of that. thats around the time of my strokes.  But when I spout the Shit that I do I dont throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.  I base it on what I know in real life.  Ive been working with electronics and computers all my life.  Trouble Shot electronics in the navy down to component level. Now I'm a retired network technician.

Again i only report what I see coming out of developers and programmers mouth. Am I always right. NOPE  but I base my opinion from what I hear from people in the industry.  Everything that has come out about Scorpio is that its a 4k60 MONSTAR.   Only site to disparage the Scorpio is digitial foundry saying its going to have Jaguar cores.  Developers are saying its a great machine and Stronger then M$ has indicated to the public so far.   Monolith,343, and Ori and the blind forest developer

I have no doubt it will be super powerful for a console. I just don't think you're going to get many games running 4K/60 unless there are some major sacrifices.  Games such as the new RDR for example, will be lucky to hit 30fps in 4K 

5 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

I have no doubt it will be super powerful for a console. I just don't think you're going to get many games running 4K/60 unless there are some major sacrifices.  Games such as the new RDR for example, will be lucky to hit 30fps in 4K 

I'm basing my decisions on the rumors I've read being true.  I have read that witcher 3, Gears 4, Forza 6 or 7,  Recor are all running at 4k60 on dev kits with power left to add other things if they wanted to.

Scorpio's GPU has the same BANDWITH as a 1080.  It just lacks to Raw terraflops by 3 I think.  6 compared to 9.   new rendering Architectures will help with raising the Frame Rate

It still doesn't really matter if it's theoretically powerful enough to run games at 4K60, most devs will choose not to. If Scorpio was twice as powerful as the 1080ti, with more than enough raw horsepower to run games modern games at 4k60, most devs would probably still make games at 30fps, because they can always make a better looking game. I don't think there is any argument that the PS4 is incapable of putting out 1080p60. Someone even keeps a list. Still, it's a pretty short list. Guerrilla Games could certainly have made Horizon Zero Dawn run at 60fps, but instead they threw in all sorts of other visual flourishes. Take out a bunch of particle effects, the volumetric lighting, some AA, or who knows what, and they could have gotten to 60, but instead they decided to favor visual fidelity over frames per second. Almost every dev makes that same choice, and most will continue to do so until processing power is no longer a limiting factor.

50 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It still doesn't really matter if it's theoretically powerful enough to run games at 4K60, most devs will choose not to. If Scorpio was twice as powerful as the 1080ti, with more than enough raw horsepower to run games modern games at 4k60, most devs would probably still make games at 30fps, because they can always make a better looking game. I don't think there is any argument that the PS4 is incapable of putting out 1080p60. Someone even keeps a list. Still, it's a pretty short list. Guerrilla Games could certainly have made Horizon Zero Dawn run at 60fps, but instead they threw in all sorts of other visual flourishes. Take out a bunch of particle effects, the volumetric lighting, some AA, or who knows what, and they could have gotten to 60, but instead they decided to favor visual fidelity over frames per second. Almost every dev makes that same choice, and most will continue to do so until processing power is no longer a limiting factor.

Thats true but the maker of the machine is pushing a standard. Ms has said all first party games will be 4k60   dev. have their choice on how to do what they do but Ms will be setting the example.  I'm Excited for the new machine. People are too busy saying whats not possible. I like to show that it's very possible. 

it's so much tech being held behind and surpressed its to funny.  We can construct shit on a nanometer level but we still have in infrastructure based on shit from the 1800's

Thats true but the maker of the machine is pushing a standard. Ms has said all first party games will be 4k60   dev. have their choice on how to do what they do but Ms will be setting the example.  I'm Excited for the new machine. People are too busy saying whats not possible. I like to show that it's very possible. 

it's so much tech being held behind and surpressed its to funny.  We can construct shit on a nanometer level but we still have in infrastructure based on shit from the 1800's

That's cause you're spending all your money on "defence". You could have probably rebuilt the entire country with what you spend on Iraq.

57 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

That's cause you're spending all your money on "defence". You could have probably rebuilt the entire country with what you spend on Iraq.

you rely on us for your defense and your infrastructure is no better then ours

2 hours ago, Rbk_3 said:

8123aaee81f63591cbabd404897fb80a.jpg

Instead of "No Problem" it needed to say "PERIOD!"

Instead of "No Problem" it needed to say "PERIOD!"

I'm not too up to date on my American political figures catch phrases.

41 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

I'm not too up to date on my American political figures catch phrases.

Here you go, you're up to date now. :P

14 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

4K/60FPS... :lol:

AND IT WILL DO IT RETROACTIVELY WITHOUT ANY PATCHES BECAUSE REASONS 

16 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

4K/60FPS... :lol:

So that means you're getting 4 scorpios? :]

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So that means you're getting 4 scorpios? :]

Quatro sting baby!!! 

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

AND IT WILL DO IT RETROACTIVELY WITHOUT ANY PATCHES BECAUSE REASONS