Sign in to follow this  
SFLUFAN

New Project Scorpio info: UHD player, supersampling for 1080p TVs, internal PSU, and UHD game DVR

Microsoft is going to have some big exclusives announced to come along with the Scorpio right? Doesn't have to be Scorpio exclusive obviously but they need more. Seems like Microsofts big play is to release a more powerful console to one up the PS4.  But that's not going to be enough to convert people from PS to Xbox. Hoping they have some more surprises up their sleeve come unveiling time. 

24 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Microsoft is going to have some big exclusives announced to come along with the Scorpio right? Doesn't have to be Scorpio exclusive obviously but they need more. Seems like Microsofts big play is to release a more powerful console to one up the PS4.  But that's not going to be enough to convert people from PS to Xbox. Hoping they have some more surprises up their sleeve come unveiling time. 

I think exclusives have a lot smaller impact than they used to.  Yes, they will have Forza 7 and Crackdown 3.

However, I think their message will be more directed at having the "best version" of all of the third party games.

I skipped the S and more likely to get the Scorpio.  Would have been no brainer getting the PS4 Pro if had UHD playback.  Without it there was no point upgrading for me.

56 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

So, MS is trying to Sony? 

33 minutes ago, JVC920 said:

I skipped the S and more likely to get the Scorpio.  Would have been no brainer getting the PS4 Pro if had UHD playback.  Without it there was no point upgrading for me.

I skipped the S as well in order to wait for The Scorpio. So what's the price point we're thinking? $499.99 USD?

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I skipped the S as well in order to wait for The Scorpio. So what's the price point we're thinking? $499.99 USD?

Knowing MS most likely will be that price.

For someone with a 4K HDR TV, the tech specs make me want to upgrade. Then I realize how little I've used my Xbox and I think I probably shouldn't. Better to upgrade to a 1080ti.

I feel like $499 would make it dead on arrival. I'm thinking $399. An Xbox One S seems to be about $249-299 right now. I feel like they need something to fill the $399 price range before they could jump to $499.

Edit:

Just wanted to add how confusing the Xbone console line up can be when browsing online.  There are so many different bundles on Amazon right now. You can find a 500GB for about $249 and a 1TB with Fifa for $289. But then a different 1TB with Forza for $349. I'm predicting when Microsoft unveils Scorpio, they will change the One S line up to one standard size hard drive for $299. Then have Scorpio be $399. 

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

I feel like $499 would make it dead on arrival. I'm thinking $399. An Xbox One S seems to be about $249-299 right now. I feel like they need something to fill the $399 price range before they could jump to $499.

Edit:

Just wanted to add how confusing the Xbone console line up can be when browsing online.  There are so many different bundles on Amazon right now. You can find a 500GB for about $249 and a 1TB with Fifa for $289. But then a different 1TB with Forza for $349. I'm predicting when Microsoft unveils Scorpio, they will change the One S line up to one standard size hard drive for $299. Then have Scorpio be $399. 

This. I can't imagine them launching at $499, they need to match the PS4 Pro's launch price.

4k 60FPS game recording also confirmed. this machine is gonna be a Monstar.  We will be getting 4k 60fps games as standard.  it will be really simple for Dev. to achieve these numbers with the power in the machine

5 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Pretty much the reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I like the idea of these specifications A LOT but quite frankly I don't care for any of the Xbox exclusives and the better version of multiplatform games means nothing to me since I've been playing those on PS4 (and PC always gets those anyway). 

2 minutes ago, Comet said:

Pretty much the reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I like the idea of these specifications A LOT but quite frankly I don't care for any of the Xbox exclusives and the better version of multiplatform games means nothing to me since I've been playing those on PS4 (and PC always gets those anyway). 

Play anywhere will allow you to play on both Scorpio and your Gaming Pc for one low price

In Podcast Unlocked #285 which had Phil Spencer on the panel, without giving away an actual price, he related the eventual price point for the Scorpio to be akin to that of those of us hardcore gamers that purchased the Elite Controller when that released. Scorpio is NOT meant nor intended to be "for everyone" just those of us who know & understand the merits of what's inside the new box which makes it a premium console, for all others, then there's the "S" for you. I am fully expecting, and happily will pay, $500 for this console. If it comes out less than that ($400-450) then all that much better!

I wish play anywhere was like steam activation and it didn't matter where I bought the game. I'd be much more likely to use my Xbox more if it were always an option. Instead I just buy the PC version with a 20% Amazon discount.

28 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

In Podcast Unlocked #285 which had Phil Spencer on the panel, without giving away an actual price, he related the eventual price point for the Scorpio to be akin to that of those of us hardcore gamers that purchased the Elite Controller when that released. Scorpio is NOT meant nor intended to be "for everyone" just those of us who know & understand the merits of what's inside the new box which makes it a premium console, for all others, then there's the "S" for you. I am fully expecting, and happily will pay, $500 for this console. If it comes out less than that ($400-450) then all that much better!

In that same podcast he also said that it wont cost any more then Previous consoles have. 

Scorpio will have a custom R5 cpu with vega gpu elements put in a custom APU  or it will be a custom version of the yet to be released Raven Ridge APU  both of which wont be expensive parts. M$ can easily hit a 449 launch price

1 hour ago, TomCat said:

4k 60FPS game recording also confirmed. this machine is gonna be a Monstar.  We will be getting 4k 60fps games as standard.  it will be really simple for Dev. to achieve these numbers with the power in the machine

Keep dreaming. More like 4k 30FPS if you're lucky on AAA games. Isn't it said to have about 6TFLOPS? 

4 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

Keep dreaming. More like 4k 30FPS if you're lucky on AAA games. Isn't it said to have about 6TFLOPS? 

no dreaming on that statement.  the system was designed to do 4k 60fps with no bottlenecks.    Windows central has confirmed that the Recording software for Scorpio is recording games at 4k 60fps standard.  Why record at that level if your games arent hitting that number

3 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Edit:

I'm not really sure how many of the Scorpio MS is expecting to sell.  I saw an interview where they were comparing the Scorpio to the Elite controller.  They were basically saying it was going to be something only for hardcore gamers.  They stated in the same interview that they expected going forward the S to be the best selling xbox.  So I see the $499 price as possible.

1 minute ago, number305 said:

I'm not really sure how many of the Scorpio MS is expecting to sell.  I saw an interview where they were comparing the Scorpio to the Elite controller.  They were basically saying it was going to be something only for hardcore gamers.  They stated in the same interview that they expected going forward the S to be the best selling xbox.  So I see the $499 price as possible.

they said that cause they know that the cheaper system will sell more units.  by the time Scorpio releases  the slim will be 250 or 199  so of course it will sell more then the scorpio because of the cheaper price and the already sold to install base.   Remember the original Xbox was for the Hardcore Gamer also

18 minutes ago, TomCat said:

no dreaming on that statement.  the system was designed to do 4k 60fps with no bottlenecks.    Windows central has confirmed that the Recording software for Scorpio is recording games at 4k 60fps standard.  Why record at that level if your games arent hitting that number

A $400 console is not going to run games at 4k 60fps in 2017. An i7 7700k 1070 GTX rig is more powerful than the Scorpio will be and it can't even come close on current AAA titles. Hell, my GTX 1080 even struggles to hit 60fps in 4k on quite a few titles. 

I hope I am wrong, but I'm not. 

13 minutes ago, Rbk_3 said:

A $400 console is not going to run games at 4k 60fps in 2017. An i7 7700k 1070 GTX rig is more powerful than the Scorpio will be and it can't even come close on current AAA titles. Hell, my GTX 1080 even struggles to hit 60fps in 4k on quite a few titles. 

I hope I am wrong, but I'm not. 

You do realize that the 7700k is a 4 core cpu right.   the processor in the scorpio will be 8cores based off of a Ryzen cpu   weather its a custom R5 or a custom Raven Ridge apu.  Once devs  start using all 8 cores in thier engines it will be no problem hitting them numbers.  They already have Halo 5, Witcher 3, Forza 6 running at 4k60     Shadow of War creator has said 4k 60 when it launches for Scorpio so ya  you are wrong

I expect it to run at 4K 30 for most games, just like current consoles generally run at 30 fps at 1080. Also like current consoles, they'll use dynamic resolutions so that the output remains [email protected]/60, but it'll be actually be rendering less than that. Do we really need digital foundry to do some snooping before we expect that kind of thing to happen?

As much as the hardcore gamers like to talk about frame rates, most people don't have a problem with 30fps. For most devs, if you have the option to make it run at a 100% solid 4K60, or you can target 4k30 and use a bunch of tricks to keep it there while adding a bunch of other visual flair, most games will go for the latter, and' they'd be right to do so.

8 minutes ago, TomCat said:

You do realize that the 7700k is a 4 core cpu right.   the processor in the scorpio will be 8cores based off of a Ryzen cpu   weather its a custom R5 or a custom Raven Ridge apu.  Once devs  start using all 8 cores in thier engines it will be no problem hitting them numbers.  They already have Halo 5, Witcher 3, Forza 6 running at 4k60     Shadow of War creator has said 4k 60 when it launches for Scorpio so ya  you are wrong

The 7700K will be a better processor than what ever custom AMD they put in the Scorpio, 8 cores and all. 

The processor isn't what the bottleneck will be anyway. 

there will be no bottleneck in the Scorpio.   Phil has stated from the start that this machine was designed with Balance so the cpu or gpu doesnt have to take up the slack for the other.  Guess you missed the part about them having   halo 5, forza, Gears 4   already running at 4k60fps. 

but keep thinking in PC terms if you want to.  Scorpio will play pc games at 4k ultra settings

Also cpu's dont have to be that strong for gaming. Look at the jaguar cores in Xb1 and pspro    Ms just needs it to be fast enough to handle the draw calls for 60fps