• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,165 (as of March 22)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 24 - Stuff has Ryzen (featuring NextGen and Lucian04)   03/01/2017

On this episode we talk about the latest news that has...Ryzen from the tech world. Microsoft announces games as a service, @NextGen helps us talk about AMD and their new CPU and somewhere in here we have @Lucian04 talking to us about the salt mining business. We try to keep out Nintendo talk to a minimum but don't worry, we got lots of Nintendo talk on the next podcast! So join us as we have lots of stuffs to talk about in the latest edition of the D1Pcast!  Join us in this thread to discuss the show!   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/topic/141114-d1pcast-episode-24-stuff-has-ryzenft-nextgen-lucian04/  
Mithan

New 1080Ti kicks ass

107 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Just curious if you set the fan to 80 still while trying to boost the clock? It's working nicely for me with a 175 clock boost so Im going to settle it there but I did set my fan to 80 static. Also put the power threshold to 120.

Didn't try a set fan speed, but I had both power to 120% and voltage raging from 50-85%.  I'd imagine with a set fan speed it would only increase it to 125-130, no where near 175 ;p.  That's why I'm thinking of removing the hybrid cooler from my 1080 and adapting it to work with the Ti.  I always have poor luck with core clocks but never this low before.  At least my memory is above 500, some people are stuck with memory overclock of only 375-400.

12 minutes ago, Brick said:

Wait, seriously I am still screwed!? 

My X-star Korean monitor 1440p 60 Hz (can overclock to 100+ hz but default 60) does not work with the included displayport to DVI adapter.  It will only work at 1440p with monitors that can push 384 Mhz across a single link - I have no idea if your monitor can do this, but I doubt it does if it is like the majority of Korean monitors from Ebay.  If it doesn't work, your choice is a new monitor or a $90 converter unit.

27 minutes ago, Brick said:

Wait, seriously I am still screwed!? 

No, as it sounds like you can get an active converter which won't have input lag.

Well as long a converter works well with no issues. I'm just not in the market for a new monitor yet. 

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

Well as long a converter works well with no issues. I'm just not in the market for a new monitor yet. 

The converter that you'd need is in the $100-range, here's the one @Xbob42 posted earlier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ISVI3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a shame they're so expensive. :/  Cheaper than a new monitor, though.

Yeah, even if I decided to just get another monitor that's 1440p, I'd be looking at $300-$400, even if I did sell my current monitor for maybe $250, but then in a few years I'd make the jump to 4K and be buying a new monitor again anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Brick said:

Yeah, even if I decided to just get another monitor that's 1440p, I'd be looking at $300-$400, even if I did sell my current monitor for maybe $250, but then in a few years I'd make the jump to 4K and be buying a new monitor again anyway. 

Exactly. You should hold out till 4k HDR PC Monitors with Gsync/Freesync are available for non-crazy prices.

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Exactly. You should hold out till 4k HDR PC Monitors with Gsync/Freesync are available for non-crazy prices.

That's exactly the plan. Hopefully ultra wide too, since I'd love to see that get more support. 

42 minutes ago, Brick said:

That's exactly the plan. Hopefully ultra wide too, since I'd love to see that get more support. 

32-40 inch 4k HDR monitor/tv >> ultrawide.   The 34 in ultrawide are the same height as a 27 inch monitor, and a large number of games don't support ultrawide without mods or the cutscenes are letterboxed regular 16:9 while the main game is ultrawide which is jarring.  Screw that.  Also, screw 27 inch 4k monitors, the amount of DPI scaling you'd have to do to make it look decent would give about the same screen space as a 1080p monitor and good luck with any game/utility that doesn't have proper DPI/UI scaling at a 27 inch or smaller screen, tiny UIs suck.  Ideal would be a 144 Hz 32 or 40 inch 4k monitor with HDR and HDMI 2.1 support (does the 1080 Ti support HDMI 2.1?)

The same could be said when we switched from 4:3 to 16:9. It is a process, but eventually I hope 21:9 gets more support, and becomes the new standard. 

On 3/21/2017 at 6:34 PM, jrcbandit said:

32-40 inch 4k HDR monitor/tv >> ultrawide.   The 34 in ultrawide are the same height as a 27 inch monitor, and a large number of games don't support ultrawide without mods or the cutscenes are letterboxed regular 16:9 while the main game is ultrawide which is jarring.  Screw that.  Also, screw 27 inch 4k monitors, the amount of DPI scaling you'd have to do to make it look decent would give about the same screen space as a 1080p monitor and good luck with any game/utility that doesn't have proper DPI/UI scaling at a 27 inch or smaller screen, tiny UIs suck.  Ideal would be a 144 Hz 32 or 40 inch 4k monitor with HDR and HDMI 2.1 support (does the 1080 Ti support HDMI 2.1?)

90 percent of what I play supports UW. Don't really give a shit about cutscenes being in 16:9 or letterboxed. Once you go 21:9, 16:9 feels like you are wearing horse blinders in games. Plus at 5 million pixels versus the 8 mil of 4k, it's easier on the GPU. Wouldn't trade my UW for the world. 4k monitors need to be 40"+ to be worth it.