• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mithan

New 1080Ti kicks ass

124 posts in this topic

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Review Roundup:

I am waiting to see how my 980 Ti performs with my new 1700X (once I get a motherboard).  Then may consider buying one of these, or not.  

Anand says it's a 74% increase over my 980Ti at 4K. That seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Anand says it's a 74% increase over my 980Ti at 4K. That seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

How about at 1080p or 1440p? I'm not quite ready for the 4k bandwagon yet, especially not at current prices and very small selection of >60hz monitors.

29 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

How about at 1080p or 1440p? I'm not quite ready for the 4k bandwagon yet, especially not at current prices and very small selection of >60hz monitors.

Here's relative performance at the 3 resolutions:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/30.html

It is indeed a worthy upgrade.  I'm a little sad I'll be skipping it. 

48 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

how much would an 3770k hold this back?

I imagine if you're overclocked to 4GHz+ shouldn't be too bad.

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

how much would an 3770k hold this back?

Time to upgrade.  You will be choked, big time.

My [email protected] can't even keep up with my 980Ti.

Whoever is upgrading and selling their current GPUs let me know, may be interested.

Glad to see how glowing the reviews are looks like it is just enough of a jump for the 4k/60fps dream to be real besides the odd trouble game that will need to lower a couple things still, but for the most part it looks like we are finally there. Just wish I did regular shipping, I think those arrive tomorrow whereas I selected two day shipping and have to wait alllllllll the way until Monday.

1 hour ago, Mithan said:

The hyperthreading of the 3770k really helps it stand out from the 2500k in modern games.  He should be alright, especially if he's overclocked.

Beastly, but being that I'm still rocking 1920 x 1200 displays, would be a waste.  A GTX 1060 or RX 480 is about all I need.

As Grand Appointed Official on matters of GPU Historical Significance, I think what I have to say carries with it the utmost pertinence as granted by my powers of knowledgeability and articulation on such matters. Therefore it is with this burden in mind that I have weighed my words regarding the 1080Ti.

-Nice-meme-52179.jpg

1 hour ago, Mithan said:

My 3770k is doing just fine with my 1080. Though it is also oc'd to 4.6Ghz, so that could be a contributing factor too.

Looks like nvidia really delivered on this one, solid performance jump and "only" $700

13 hours ago, Mithan said:

Your 2500k has half the threads as the 3770k. He'll be fine.

How do you guys typically sell old video cards? Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon? Any platform you've had more luck with?

21 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

How do you guys typically sell old video cards? Ebay, Craigslist, Amazon? Any platform you've had more luck with?

I did ebay and got $420 for my 1080 which I thought was pretty good. I just did an auction with starting price of $350 I think which is what I wanted for it (covering half of the new card).

Meanwhile I just watched sadly as the fedex truck drove by my apt. Two more days!

Just ordered my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE. Would have rather the FTW3 been available but it's not yet. Still coming from a 980 this should kick ass for me. Anyone know if the step up program would allow me to go from FE to FTW?

Can't wait to upgrade to mine. 

What's the difference between the Founder's Edition? Is it just like the first run of them? 

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

Can't wait to upgrade to mine. 

What's the difference between the Founder's Edition? Is it just like the first run of them? 

Yes.

Nvidia designed fan, so no custom jobs, all the same clock speed and what not.

Ususally louder then custom fan solutions that manufacturers make, and they use more fans, higher clock rates without OCing... etc...

So when do you guys typically upgrade, and what is the best time to upgrade to still get good value for your previous card?

As I am new to this whole thing, I am probably thinking I will keep my 1080 until the 1180ti is released. Thats what? Probably 2-3 years from now? 

All these new cards and I can still do at least medium settings on all new games with a 570, have things really improved that much? A month or two ago I bought a RX480 8GB and quickly returned it, wasn't a big difference in performance.

55 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

All these new cards and I can still do at least medium settings on all new games with a 570, have things really improved that much? A month or two ago I bought a RX480 8GB and quickly returned it, wasn't a big difference in performance.

Rx480 should be maxing most games at 1080p 60fps maybe something else is causing an issue for you.

12 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Rx480 should be maxing most games at 1080p 60fps maybe something else is causing an issue for you.

I have a good CPU, I don't see what's wrong. Some games were a 20fps difference, sometimes the same but with textures maxed out. Wasn't worth the $250 honestly, I might look at a GTX 1060 soon, I'm only at 1080p, don't need anything too crazy.

32 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I have a good CPU, I don't see what's wrong. Some games were a 20fps difference, sometimes the same but with textures maxed out. Wasn't worth the $250 honestly, I might look at a GTX 1060 soon, I'm only at 1080p, don't need anything too crazy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IPVSLTC?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0049-def00-other-nomod-us000-pcomp-feature-pcomp-wm-2