Peloton Sold Rusted Bikes/Recall Affecting 2.2 Million Bikes

601dd5ae9603bede1fc91fd1f2300a0c.jpg
GIZMODO.COM

The company calls it "cosmetic oxidation" and claims the corrosion doesn't impact performance.

Documents seen by the Financial Times reveal the Tinman project made it a “standard operating procedure” to conceal corrosion by using a solution that would form a black layer over rusted bike parts.

"Several warehouse workers tasked with inspecting the bikes told FT that some were sold with “severe rust,” and one person sent a photo of a rusted bike to the new outlet as recently as last week.

“Even for Bike-Pluses [products that cost $2,495] that were rusted internally, they were still delivering them,” a current employee said. “Sometimes bikes had stuff on the outside, so we couldn’t deliver them, but . . . [there were] a lot of bikes that were rusted on the inside that they still sold.”

• DarkStar189 changed the title to Peloton Knowingly Sold/Is Selling Rusted Bikes
2 hours ago, Comet said:

Glad we traded our peloton bike for the treadmill, so much more usage! My poor ass can't handle the bikes. 

We almost bought a stationary bike (we hadn't narrowed in on the brand), but instead we got a rower instead (specifically a Waterrower). It's been fantastic. Easy on the body in terms of joints, but a really great workout. Only downside is being reminded of Kevin Spacy each time I use it.

waterrower-vintage-oak-264021_900x900.jp

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

We almost bought a stationary bike (we hadn't narrowed in on the brand), but instead we got a rower instead (specifically a Waterrower). It's been fantastic. Easy on the body in terms of joints, but a really great workout. Only downside is being reminded of Kevin Spacy each time I use it.

waterrower-vintage-oak-264021_900x900.jp

I have one of these things. Love it.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I have one of these things. Love it.

It's so great because you can determine what to make of the exercise. Yes you can add or subtract water, but just by moving faster you increase the resistance. Plus, with an actual waterrower (which, I know, is technically less good than an air turbine one, yada yada) you get the incredibly calming swoosh swoosh sound of the water.

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's so great because you can determine what to make of the exercise. Yes you can add or subtract water, but just by moving faster you increase the resistance. Plus, with an actual waterrower (which, I know, is technically less good than an air turbine one, yada yada) you get the incredibly calming swoosh swoosh sound of the water.

Yes, the swoosh swoosh ❤️

@CitizenVectron

@sblfilms

My wife and I have been trying to decide on some sort of cardio machine for the house. Don't have the space for a treadmill. A bike was a possibility. Bowflex has a smallish elliptical that we considered. I never thought of a rowing machine though. Just watched a YouTube video of a Waterrower though and I LOVE the sound of that water. And being able to stand it up out of the way is awesome. I feel like I would love it. My wife was intrigued by it, but a little unsure. I feel like she would want to try it out before buying. 

I like to ride my bike, but I also live in an area of Houston that is pretty dangerous for cycling. My favorite place to ride is at night at a golf course down the way about 5 minutes from my house. Houston is naturally very flat, but the course has small hills and such which makes for a fun ride. There is also a park about 10 minutes away with nice bike paths to ride on.

During the summer we love to take our bikes around our city's lake and park, I think it's about a 5km route. It's really one of the only things my city has going for it, lol. It's manmade lake dug by returning WWI soldiers, and is surrounded by a huge park, the government grounds, a bird sanctuary, art gallery, etc.

dfsqVvg.png

But in the winter there isn't much to do, especially during the past two years, and the rower has been great. I'm excited to get the bikes out again in a few months once the snow is gone.

31 minutes ago, johnny said:

is there some kind of reason to get a water rower over just a regular rowing machine?

For the swoosh swoosh ;)

Not really. The gold standard is the C2 turbine rower. However, it's louder and looks like gym equipment. The advantage is that you can easily compare results with thousands of other people since it's considered the pro standard (and it's not too expensive). However, if you're just looking to get cardio (and work some muscles out), then a water rower has a few advantages:

• Much quieter
  • Swoosh swoosh
  • Looks much nicer, and store easily (stand up against wall, etc)

Both types will provide a good workout.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but the New York Times has been running ads all last week (four or five of them per issue) that all seemed to be client attaboys to Peloton for such great products and service they've been providing, almost as if the company could do no wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

@CitizenVectron

@sblfilms

Ended up buying a Waterrower. Got the natural wood with S4 monitor. Set it up earlier today. I did a couple strokes and thought this isn't that hard. 2 and a half minutes later I'm like "whoa, ok I'm definitely feeling it".  That swooshing noise is pretty nice too. Really excited to make it a part of my routine. Thanks for mentioning it because a rowing machine was never on my radar, but I love the low impact feel of it. 

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

@CitizenVectron

@sblfilms

Ended up buying a Waterrower. Got the natural wood with S4 monitor. Set it up earlier today. I did a couple strokes and thought this isn't that hard. 2 and a half minutes later I'm like "whoa, ok I'm definitely feeling it".  That swooshing noise is pretty nice too. Really excited to make it a part of my routine. Thanks for mentioning it because a rowing machine was never on my radar, but I love the low impact feel of it. 

Awesome! It's definitely a good workout, especially for how deceptively easy it feels initially. 

• 1 year later...
image3_3.png?VersionId=lwjXiTeUBUJDQy0XF
WWW.CPSC.GOV

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled exercise bikes and contact Peloton for a free repair. Peloton is offering consumers a free seat post that can be self-installed.

If anyone here has the original Peloton bike, be sure to claim your new seat post!

• DarkStar189 changed the title to Peloton Sold Rusted Bikes/Recall Affecting 2.2 Million Bikes