Ghost_MH

WSJ Rumor: Apple ditching Lightning for USBC...

Remember that time we all gave Apple flack for going with no headphone jack on the iPhone? Remember how it wasn't about the lack of a headphone jack that upset people, but that going only Lightning was upsetting because Lightning clearly had an expiration date since Apple was so gung-ho with USBC? Well, if the WSJ is right, that expiration date is one year.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-next-iphone-will-have-a-curved-screen-1488260583

I think what the Journal is getting at is that the next iPhone will ship with a USB-C AC adapter and the in-box wire will be USB-C to Lightning.

I'd love to see Apple put a USB-C port on the iPhone, but I just can't imagine they actually will.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I think what the Journal is getting at is that the next iPhone will ship with a USB-C AC adapter and the in-box wire will be USB-C to Lightning.

I'd love to see Apple put a USB-C port on the iPhone, but I just can't imagine they actually will.

That may very will be what they're getting at, but I figured I'd post this here since I saw it being reported as both all over the place.

If it's just a cable, we can look forward to everyone bitching about not being able to connect their new iPhone to their computer. 

On 2/28/2017 at 10:26 AM, RedSoxFan9 said:

If it's just a cable, we can look forward to everyone bitching about not being able to connect their new iPhone to their computer. 

cus you know they can't make adapters and such.

13 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

cus you know they can't make adapters and such.

An adapter gives people another thing to complain about :P 

I don't mind the dongle mess if it means we'll eventually have an all USB-C future.  

The only real downside I can see for Apple if they make this switch is the large size of USB-C.  

I think USB-C is the right choice for iPhone & iPad going forward, and it should be sooner rather than playing catch up with the rest of the industry.

Sadly, I think the reason they might delay USB-C is the optics. I remember the backlash when Apple moved from 30 pin to Lighting, with people lamenting that Apple always does this. Even though 30 pin was used for 11 years.

However, with the "courage" positioning on iPhone 7, and the rumored giant step forward for iPhone 8, it would be the right time.

The slight difference in size probably matters to Apple since they are obsessed with thinness.

USB-C for the iPad would be a great way to move it forward towards being more of a work device.  They could even put in more than one port! :P 

USB-C looks to be about double the width of lightning. And it wouldn't matter so much if it weren't for the taptic engine that located in that area. Apple really doesn't waste space in their devices, so if they say they can't fit it, they more likely than not can't fit it. 

It would be really nice to see Apple adopt an actual industry standard for once.  They did it with the Macbook so who knows...

Not for me because Apple devices are stupid... but for friends that come over and don't have to worry about charging their gimpy phone because they forgot to bring their own cable.

1 hour ago, ort said:

Apple uses all sorts of industry standards and has for a very long time.

Not for charging they haven't.  At best, they've used "standards" that it just so happens nobody else in the industry uses.  At least they were smart enough to make Thunderbolt 2 cross-compatible with USB-C.

But "Lightning" cables are stupid and designed to do nothing more than milk money from brainless consumers.  Put a USB-C port and microphone jack on the device and call it a day...  There's literally ZERO advantage to what they've done other than forcing people to buy adapters that they get royalties on.  And the "space" argument is total hogwash as there are sleeker devices that exist out there that have those ports.

33 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

There aren't sleeker devices out there that have vibrating screens. 

This reminds me of the goofy qualifications that sports announcers use to always make something sound unique.  "He now holds the record for the most touchdowns by a person who is 6'1" on a Tuesday in October with a temperature below freezing!"

55 minutes ago, ktownhero said:

Not for charging they haven't.  At best, they've used "standards" that it just so happens nobody else in the industry uses.  At least they were smart enough to make Thunderbolt 2 cross-compatible with USB-C.

But "Lightning" cables are stupid and designed to do nothing more than milk money from brainless consumers.  Put a USB-C port and microphone jack on the device and call it a day...  There's literally ZERO advantage to what they've done other than forcing people to buy adapters that they get royalties on.  And the "space" argument is total hogwash as there are sleeker devices that exist out there that have those ports.

Lightning has been around for like 5 years now and USB-C is just now a thing.

Do you just pop in now and again to insult all us dumb as shit apple users? What year is this, 2010? That's about the last time arguing about this stuff was cool. No one gives a shit anymore. If you don't like apple products, don't buy them. Problem solved.

The rumor is now lightning with some USB-C fast charging tech.  I think one of the iPad pros already has this.

The thinness argument isn't about what's on the market now.  

I think Apple will switch to USB-C but not until 2018.  

Given Apple's incredible size and clout, when it comes to things like this, there is a reasonable self interest even for those without Apple products.

If Apple actually did put a USB-C port in their iOS devices, it would dramatically change the market for USB-C peripherals. I'd been looking for a good USB-C dock for my XPS 13 for a while (since Dell's was so broken they took it off the market), and as soon as the MacBook Pro was announced there were suddenly a dozen or more new options. Apple's sway in the laptop world isn't anywhere close to what it is in phones. If the iPhone was suddenly USB-C, it would accelerate that standard in ways no other product could.

I think USB-C adoption is mostly inevitable, and it'll get there eventually, but adoption would be much faster with USB-C iPhones and iPads around.

17 hours ago, ort said:

Lightning has been around for like 5 years now and USB-C is just now a thing.

Lightning was retarded even before USB-C.  It makes zero sense other than forcing users to generate royalties for them. 

2 hours ago, ktownhero said:

Lightning was retarded even before USB-C.  It makes zero sense other than forcing users to generate royalties for them. 

Lightning is thin and I appreciate it's ability to be plugged in either way up, unlike USB up until now.  So much less fumbling with chords - particularly in the dark in bed.

Lightning is the best connector I've ever used. Other than it being proprietary, it's perfect in every way a connector needs to be.

On 3/8/2017 at 0:59 PM, ort said:

Lightning is the best connector I've ever used. Other than it being proprietary, it's perfect in every way a connector needs to be.

Toning it down for a moment, I get that it's good.  But it doesn't make sense in the face of USB-C.  They used it and removed the headphone jack for the sole purpose of forcing adapters which they get a royalty on every time one is sold.  What's super odd though is that they used USB-C on the new Macbook.  Apple is just a mess at the moment. 

And all fronting aside, I get why people like their products.  I just think if they weren't so bullish about controlling how people use things, they'd have a much larger market share.  I mean, they go out of their way to do things that ensure people don't have full access to their software or hardware.  The Lightning vs USB-C thing seems small but it's really not...  A world where every single major phone uses the same standard is a better world, and it would absolutely be better for their business.  Nobody should have to carry their own cables around in 2017.  Or have a bunch of hardware adapters.

And their market share only is what it is because many years ago they went on an aggressive misinformation campaign which, like Trump, was successful.  Still, to this day, people think Apple products give you some special protection against malware...  At this point it may be my own problem that I should let go, but I just don't like anyone or anything that sells itself through lies. 

I strongly disagree with many of your points and could spend the energy to thoughtfully rebut them, but I don't think it's really a good use of my time to go back and forth with you on this topic anymore.

Enjoy the products you like. Try to be less of an asshole to people who have different opinions.

9 minutes ago, ort said:

I strongly disagree with many of your points and could spend the energy to thoughtfully rebut them, but I don't think it's really a good use of my time to go back and forth with you on this topic anymore.

Enjoy the products you like. Try to be less of an asshole to people who have different opinions.

I don't know why you decided to get all serious and go back and forth in the first place.  Gotta lighten up.  But the reason you take it somewhat personally is because there's at least some truth in what I'm saying.  And there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that.  Admitting that lightning made no sense for this last go-round does not preclude you from liking your phone.