Atlus announces Soul Hackers 2. Releases 8/26/22 on everything (except Switch).

Brian

• GameDadGrant changed the title to Atlus announces Soul Hackers 2. Releases 8/26/22 on everything (except Switch).
12 minutes ago, chakoo said:

It's a bit of a joke, Anybody not porting everything to the switch is seen as snubbing the switch. :P

I'm actually looking forward to the 13 sentinels port (I tried the demo out already on the jpn eshop).

Noice. 

It is weird this new game isn’t on Switch. Especially after Tokyo Mirage Sessions, P5 Strikers and of course Shin Megami Tensei V. Odd snub.

• True 1

7 hours ago, chakoo said:

Atlus continues it's love for snubbing the switch. :P I'll probably never buy a steam deck, I really wish sony would stop being childish and release a portable ps4.

It's interesting xbox is being included this time around. Good they finally get something.

With Sony games coming to the PC the deck is a Vita successor. 

Since there aren't any working PS4 emulators I will probably get 13 Sentinels on the Switch and emulate it. My boy has hacked my launch Switch for game dumping. Also had enough gift cards at work to get the OLED Switch.

• Like 1

I think I played some of the 3DS game, but I've sampled so many of these Atlus games over the years (and bounced off most of them) that I don't remember. 

But yeah, this is prime - buy it when it's $20, play it for 5-10 hours, then never think of it again - territory for me. 

• Haha 1

I'd say it's good it's not being watered down by trying to be a Switch game, lord knows SMT V was a fucking shitshow of ugliness and poor performance... but honestly this basically still looks like a Switch game so it might as well be on there too.

That said, it's Atlus, I like Atlus, seems like a pretty easy sell if we get a dubbed version.

My Atlus scale is very simple: If they don't invest the money to pay for a dub I know it's a B-tier Atlus game and can safely be skipped.

• Sicko 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Out now!

Game Information

Game Title: Soul Hackers 2

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Aug 26, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 26, 2022)
  • PC (Aug 26, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Aug 26, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Aug 26, 2022)

Trailer:

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 75 average - 60% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

33bits - Euyen Esquefa Pons - Spanish - 85 / 100

With Soul Hackers 2 Atlus once again creates a JRPG that will keep us guessing until the end. Monsters, great protagonists, strategic combats... it's a shame that the repetitiveness of the dungeons, both in design and execution, prevent us from facing a round game.

Bazimag - Sina Golabzade - Persian - 8.5 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 sits very comfortably in a place between both the main Shin Megami Tensei series and the Persona series while also putting its own unique spin on the ideas it is borrowing from those franchises which gives it an all new identity. This is yet another successful endeavor from Atlus which everyone should experience.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 takes inspiration from both the Persona and the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series while including new things into the mix to varying degrees of success. As a result, it is best to not compare it to any other title in the franchise.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 8.5 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is a worthy successor of the 1997 game, modernizing the series and putting it closer to games like Persona 5 and SMTV.

COGconnected - Nicola Kapron - 80 / 100

While the game does a good job of establishing the agents of Aion as emerging AI, Soul Hackers 2 tells a deeply human story. This isn’t a shock to me, as Shin Megami Tensei spin-offs have always been more character-focused than the mainline games. I like Soul Hackers 2’s anime noir approach to character building. I recommend it to anyone who likes RPGs or cyberpunk.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 8 / 10

Overall, Soul Hackers 2 is a very good introduction to the Megami Tensei franchise. If you can enjoy the dull dungeons and don't constantly compare it to other parts of the franchise, you'll definitely have fun here and get a really good, if not great, JRPG.

Chicas Gamers - Raúl Pinto - Spanish - Unscored

Soul Hackers 2 is a turn-based RPG with a cyberpunk aesthetic. A spin-off of SMT and the second installment after 25 years. A game what, although it needs quite a bit of polishing at level design and artistic in dungeon, has a very well-run plot. In terms of gameplay, it is very enjoyable, the aesthetics are great out of that places and the soundtrack is very well chosen and implemented.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8.5 / 10

There’s not a ton of innovation on offer, as it’s more about refinement, but Soul Hackers 2 doesn’t disappoint with its stellar combat that rewards experimentation and evolving dungeons full of bonus content.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended

Overall Soul Hackers 2 is a great yet familiar gameplay experience that continues to push Atlus’ envelope of RPG titles. Persona 5 fans will be right at home as Soul Hackers 2 brings over some past features including gameplay systems, its approach to cinematic cut scenes, and a fantastic cast of English voice actors with a fresh coat of paint.

Daily Mirror - Eugene Sowah - 3 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 is a familiar but great entry in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, gifting players with one of Atlus's best-styled games to date.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8.5 / 10

I wandered into Soul Hackers 2 expecting a general sense of quality from Atlus, and ended up getting sucked into its world. While dungeon design can feel samey at times, it’s not enough to distract from the flashiness of the game as a whole. As usual, Atlus really nails the details; it was fun to hang out with this crew and see where things went.

Digital Trends - Jess Reyes - 3 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 innovates when it comes to RPG gameplay, but its story is a step down compared to Atlus' recent hits.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4.5 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 is a smart, evocative, and classically dark game from the Shin Megami Tensei tradition. It’s not going to turn heads like Persona 5 and SMT V did, but the developers seem to have realised this and taken the opportunity to deliver a harder-hitting and more thought-provoking narrative. To me, that’s Atlus getting back to its core vision for the broad and extended SMT property. That’s what I want from this series.

Everyeye.it - Antonello Bello - Italian - 8.5 / 10

ATLUS managed to surprise us once again.

Final Weapon - Raul Ochoa - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 modernizes the Devil Summoner formula while retaining the unique cyberpunk aesthetic of Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. Ringo charges into the Devil Summoner underworld with an interesting narrative and signature Megami Tensei series combat. Soul Hackers 2 is worthwhile experience for JRPG fans wanting another great ATLUS adventure.

GAMES.CH - Franziska Behner - German - 77%

Soul Hackers 2 is a JRPG for fans of the Devil Summoner games and Persona 5, but unfortunately struggles with boring dungeons and a story that could have been made a lot more.

GGRecon - Paulo Kawanishi - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is an approachable and fun game overall, but far from fulfilling its potential. A beautiful visual experience and well-designed characters are not enough to make the weird pacing of the main story and its shallowness go unseen.

Game Informer - Diego Nicolás Argüello - 6.5 / 10

Throughout the 30 hours it took to hit credits, I kept trying to latch onto the elements that work. Soul Hackers 2’s saving grace lies in its main characters, each with a distinct personality that often clashes with the rest. Witnessing the group’s growth by putting their differences aside and opening themselves up to camaraderie was a joy.

Game Rant - Andrew Bottino - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 delivers a well-crafted experience separate from other SMT entries.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is yet another stellar JRPG from Atlus. It may take many of its themes and gameplay elements from other JRPGs within the company’s umbrella, but it somehow still manages to feel unique thanks to its fresh setting and characters.

GameSpot - Heidi Kemps - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is a stylish, engaging JRPG with great characters, but dull dungeon design dampens the experience.

Gamer's Palace - Manuel Eichhorn - German - 75 / 100

There's a lot to like about the story, setting and tactical elements of the fighting system and development of the demons. But that's a sharp contrast to the otherwise bland, even repetitive gameplay. Oh, and Soul Hackers 2 has been the first game in a while that made me angry with its loading screens.

GamesBeat - Jason McMaster - 3 / 5

Is that bad? Not necessarily. The story is interesting, the characters are likeable, and the voice acting is good. If you enjoy the core game loop for the SMT games, you are getting exactly that. Just don’t expect a huge new experience with a lot of new gameplay concepts.

Gaming Nexus - Henry Yu - 8.5 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 feels like a culmination of everything Atlus learned from previous iterations of its games. It's beginner friendly enough for newcomers to join but also brings just enough challenge to entice veterans of the series. It leaves a unique mark with some genuinely creative mechanics while retaining core elements of Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, but is bogged down by some poor design choices. Painted in a fresh neon coat of cyberpunk and drenched in a deeply wrapped narrative, Soul Hackers 2 still deserves the attention of any JRPG fan.

GamingBolt - Pramath - 8 / 10

While it does have its stumbles, Soul Hackers 2 is a stylish JRPG with an intriguing premise and a compelling cast, and a fantastic battle system that more than makes up for the flaws it does have.

GamingTrend - David Flynn - 30 / 100

Soul Hackers 2's only saving grace is its visual design. The characters look cool, the town is interesting, and the UI is somewhat stylish, but that's it. It's not broken or anything, just incredibly uninteresting. There's absolutely no substance to the story, characters, battle system, or level design. It's such a shame, because that style is very appealing, but there's absolutely no reason to play the game otherwise.

Generación Xbox - Alejandro Serrador - Spanish - 8.8 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is an excellent JRPG set in a world full of neon lights in which a terrible threat to humanity is posed.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 has great combat and a story worth checking out, but the repetitive environments and constant barrage of enemies make the experience less than stellar.

Hardcore Gamer - Adam Beck - 3.5 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 is a by the books turn-based JRPG that doesn't do anything particularly memorable nor offensive.

Hey Poor Player - Kenny McKee - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 made some interesting decisions—some of which I don’t totally agree with. But, even with whatever grievances I might have, I can’t deny that the game was ultimately both incredibly fun and well put-together. Devil Summoner might not carry the same weight as other spinoff series within the MegaTen universe, but Soul Hackers 2 is one heck of a ride from start to finish.

IGN - Cameron Hawkins - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is an entertaining Atlus JRPG, if also one that doesn't do much to stand out.

IGN Italy - Alessandro Digioia - Italian - 7.9 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 it's a good game with some annoying issues. At it's core, Atlus new sci-fi JRPG it's an high-stakes 35/40 hours adventure with a charismatic and well written cast of characters, a protagonist - Ringo - which is both fun and interesting, and an enjoyable combat system. However, as a dungeon crawler, the game gets repetitive fairly quickly, and doesn't do enough to keep the player's attention high throught it's entire duration. Nonetheless, Soul Hackers 2 it's enjoyable experience, easy to recommend to all the fans of the Megami Tensei franchise, and a great starting point for a new series.

IGN Spain - David Oña - Spanish - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is good news for fans of Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, a JRPG that, despite not reaching the excellence of its more direct predecessors, delivers a remarkable experience that knows how to find its own space within Atlus' demonic universe.

Inverse - Willa Rowe - 7 / 10

The market for a shorter Persona experience is there; Not everyone has the time to sink so much time into a single game. Even for fans of the franchise, the idea of experiencing everything Persona offers in the span of a couple of weekends sounds like heaven in a world where an array of games demand our attention. But Soul Hackers 2’s attempt to deliver a palatable streamlined experience for anyone and everyone should have taken more time to do some soul searching.

Kakuchopurei - 60 / 100

Soul Hackers 2 is a great game for those who are looking for a good Atlus JRPG that’s less complex, more streamlined and has some quality-of-life improvements, as well as one that’s shorter and respects your time (for a JRPG, that is). All the good stuff makes it easier to forgive the game’s faults, like cut corners (bland dungeon designs and lack of demons during battle), an abundance of loading screens, a generic story and a JRPG that’s more of the same and overly familiar.

PC Invasion - Andrew Farrell - 9 / 10

Some of the best turn-based combat around mixed with a surprising amount of customization makes Soul Hackers 2 another engrossing winner courtesy of Atlus.

PSX Brasil - Luis Guilherme Machado Camargo - Portuguese - 85 / 100

Soul Hackers 2 is a different title than what is usually expected from Atlus, but it is also one of their best and most original games in recent years. It's a highly recommended title if you're already a fan of the company's games or turn-based RPGs in general.

PlayStation Universe - Garri Bagdasarov - 8 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 feels like a budget title whose developers did the best with what they had. It's still a solid game with plenty to love that fans of the genre will certainly enjoy. A strong addition to the Shin Megami Tensei franchise with great combat and art direction only held back by uninspired dungeons and exploration.

Prima Games - Lucas White - 7.5 / 10

It turned out to be a pretty interesting combination of classic SMT systems, lots of nerdy skill tinkering and a story about adults fighting for a world very similar to our own and figuring out why along the way. Not bad for a series that can’t get its own name straight!

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is a competent Atlus JRPG that will tick a lot of boxes for fans of the genre, but it falls well short of being that next breakout star from Japan. With awful dungeon design and little else to do outside of them, it falls upon the engaging combat system and interesting enough narrative to pick up the pieces. It's by no means the next must-play JRPG, but there's just enough to Soul Hackers 2 that warrants a playthrough.

RPG Fan - Izzy Parsons - 73%

Soul Hackers 2 is one of the weaker entries in the Megami Tensei series when it comes to gameplay and story, but its style and charm might make up for it.

RPG Site - Adam Vitale - 7 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is an adequate, experimental Megaten entry with some bright spots, but it doesn't quite come together as well as I hoped it would.

RPGamer - Luis Mauricio - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 has obvious similarities and the same high standards as the parent series. Including most of Shin Megami Tensei’s staples, it undoubtedly welcomes newcomers to the franchise in a friendly way.

Reno Gazette-Journal - Jason Hidalgo - 8 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is another solid entry in the Shin Megami Tensei universe, sharing the devilish traits of the mainline SMT series with some of the jazzy vibes of Persona 4 and 5 sprinkled in between. The simple combat belies a deep customization system for demons and character skills while the game’s excellent cast help lift its story. Admittedly, it’s not quite as fleshed out as Atlus’ best role-playing games. If you like old-school JRPGs with a Shin Megami Tensei twist, however, Soul Hackers 2 is a game that you’ll be dying to play.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 6 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is not a bad game at all, but it failed to add anything new to plate when it comes to the genre. The good combat alone was not enough to elevate the game enough to meet the standards Atlus set with Shin Megami V and Persona 5

Screen Rant - Cody Gravelle - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 is at different times a superb, a good, and a middling game. Underneath it all is some serious promise.

Siliconera - Stephanie Liu - 7 / 10

Explore a supernatural RPG with stylish summoners and dark dangers lurking under the neon lights of a cyberpunk Japan. It is up to the agents of Aion to decrypt destiny and save the world from apocalypse! PS4 version reviewed. A dungeon crawler strung together by a flimsy story, but serves as a good entry point for SMT fans.

TechRaptor - Andrew Stretch - 7 / 10

Soul Hacker 2 does a really good job crafting an enjoyable high stakes story and populating it with realized characters. Combat has been left mostly unchanged, which is for the better, but there's a lot to be desired in the copy-paste treatment of the large Soul Matrix dungeon.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 8 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 delivers a dry and essential experience for Megami Tensei fans in an old-fashioned dungeon crawler that doesn't dare to risk something new. In its caution it proves to be a good game for those who can't sleep waiting for the next Persona, but those who know Atlus' demons inside out won't find anything truly innovative.

The Outerhaven Productions - Scott Adams - 4.5 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 is a masterpiece done by Atlus in Character development, musical score, plot twists, and overall story beats. A few technical hiccups and weird camera choice make this game not have a perfect score.

TheGamer - Meg Pelliccio - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2, at its core, is enjoyable if you like rattling through dungeons, playing with demons, and building a kick-ass party.

ThisGenGaming - Justin Oneil - 8.5 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 can’t quite match the high bar that the Persona franchise has set but it is still an enjoyable turn-based, dungeon crawling JRPG. The best parts about it are the story, the stylish art direction, and gaining new demons to use while the worst are the repetitive dungeons you’ll be spending hours and hours in. If you can look past that latter point then there is a lot to enjoy about Soul Hackers 2 whether you’re a returning fan or a newcomer.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 will satisfy both SMT and Persona fans with its exciting story, beautiful anime-style aesthetics, engaging music by Monaca, and gameplay that feels like a smart mix between the strengths of both.

Twinfinite - Cameron Waldrop - 3.5 / 5

The story of Soul Hackers 2 is, by all means, the biggest highlight for the game. That’s not simply because the game is rather content light in every other area, either. Getting to experience Ringo discover the depths of humanity while navigating a strange new world was fun. Every character feels very well written with their own depth.

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 6.8 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 offers a contrast of colourful and lively towns and characters with dull and dark dungeons that seem to go on forever. Optimizing your party can be quite enjoyable but the inconsistent demon recruiting system takes away from the fun of the grind. Overall, Soul Hackers 2 failed to keep my attention but it definitely has some noteworthy qualities.

Washington Post - George Yang - Unscored

There’s a lot to like about “Soul Hackers 2.″ Ringo’s upbeat personality makes her a phenomenal protagonist, along with both the engaging combat and fun characters keeping players absorbed within the minute-to-minute gameplay loop.

Wccftech - Kai Powell - 7.5 / 10

A disservice to the original Soul Hackers mythology, Ringo and Figue's adventure to avert the end of the world feels all too predictable and lacks the risk-taking of other Shin Megami Tensei titles.

Windows Central - Alexander Cope - 4 / 5

Soul Hackers 2 is a wonderful JRPG that features an intriguing story, a cast of likable characters, and addicting gameplay that is both welcoming to newcomers and challenging for veterans. While the beginning can be slow, and some of the dungeons can be cumbersome to trudge through, the rewarding payoffs are worth the effort.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8 / 10

Overall, Soul Hackers 2 is a good - but not great - entry into the franchise. I had quite a lot of fun with it, and I think the cast is one of my favorites in the SMT games, but it has a "low-budget" feel that is difficult to escape, and the Soul Matrix concept feels lackluster. It has a good combat system, fun character customization, and everything I'd expect from a SMT spin-off. For some fans, I'd imagine that the change from the franchise norm will feel refreshing.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 7.3 / 10

Soul Hackers 2 is a solid game. It’s not the most impressive technically and you can see the budget constraints, but it tells a fascinating story with a style few can match. If you’re a fan of Dungeon Crawling JRPGs then you should check this one out.

cublikefoot - Chase Ferrin - Avoid

Soul Hackers 2 is one of the laziest JRPGs I have played in a while. It may have some fun combat, but comes with some absolutely awful dungeon design and a monotonous gameplay loop.