• Announcements

• SFLUFAN

D1P 2017 Charity Campaign for The Life You Can Save: $1,615 (as of June 4, 2017)   12/12/2016

I've decided to extend our charity campaign for The Life You Can Save organizations for the entirety of 2017 so feel free to contribute at any time!  Periodically through the year, I'll have game giveaways for those who have donated to the campaign as a "thank you" for supporting this worthy endeavor!
    • SFLUFAN

D1Pcast Episode 28: The 2017 E3 Review Show (Recording June 23 - share your E3 impressions!)   06/01/2017

Now that E3 2017 has concluded, the D1Pcast crew will be recording its impressions of the show on Friday June 23 at around 6:30pm Eastern time.  Like we did for the preview show, we'll run through each conference and give our thoughts on the good, bad, and the wonderfully inexplicable (Devolver Digital - I'm looking at you!).   We're very much interested in hearing your thoughts and impressions about this past E3, so feel free to share them in this thread.  Or -- even better! -- if you'd like to join us for this episode, we'd love to have you on the show!  The more, the merrier as we put a capstone on our E3 2017 coverage!  
    • SFLUFAN

E3 2017 is upon us!   06/07/2017

The annual celebration of all things video gaming is upon us, so let us share in the revelry and post the news, videos, interviews, and discussion topics in our dedicated E3 2017 board here:   http://www.dayonepatch.com/index.php?/forum/122-e3-2017/   Also, feel free to join our Discord server for live text and voice chat of the various conferences - here's an invite that (theoretically) should not expire:   https://discord.gg/chqTQ2F   Let's all have a magnificent E3!
Bacon

~*The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Official Thread*~ You gotta keep'em separated.

1,230 posts in this topic

Just now, crispy4000 said:

I wouldn't want another Zelda with motion controls unless they can make them more responsive.  They're maybe 75% of the way there.  (in which case, TP on Wii would be @ 15%)

Still, fighting BoTW's bosses just reminds me how much I miss them.  Hoping Nintendo learns something in developing ARMS.

God, I hope we never see another zelda with MC's unless it's in VR. And proper VR, like Vive, which of course, switch just can't possibly handle. But who knows, maybe SwitchU (cuz you know they'll fuck up the naming convention) will be able to do it. 

VR doesn't finally make motion control good, contrary to popular opinion.  Just imagine a Zelda with the dumb teleportation mechanics VR games use.

I'm ready to fight those 4 armed stalfos again. :daydream:

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, crispy4000 said:

Huh?  Almost every Zelda has more story than BotW.  Only ones that don't are the original and LttP, IMO.  Certainly Link's Awakening does, and that's a game I'd easily put ahead of BoTW.

... personally I'd place BotW on the same level as Twilight Princess.  It does what it sets out to do extremely well, but there's some definite issues throughout that hold it back from 'best-of-all-time' greatness.  In TP, the problem is dungeon tedium and poor progression between them.  In BoTW, it's the shrines and the many large areas on the map that feel like bloat (ie: bottom right, middle left, top left).

It's a lot more original than TP was at its time, so there is that.

While I haven't beat BoTW, (180 hrs in, just need to go to Hyrule Castle), I would say only Majora's Mask has more story (granted, I did not play Skyward Sword or Sprit Tracks) and its in the same vien of being discovered not directly told.  

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, 5timechamp said:

Since I bought this on the WiiU, and want to get a Switch eventually (if I can find it for my wife for mother's day I'd get one soon), I would love if the hard more was more than just more difficult enemies. It would be real cool if they made it so the food spoiled after a certain amount of time (dependent on ingredients).

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, nobody said:

there is a big difference between actually discovering something yourself and being told to go do this thing here. which is exactly what BotW does. the original had both types. 

Played with the HUD off, and never used the sensor, so my experience was completely the opposite. It felt like I was playing the first one, just grander.

2 hours ago, Fuhrer D said:

While I haven't beat BoTW, (180 hrs in, just need to go to Hyrule Castle), I would say only Majora's Mask has more story (granted, I did not play Skyward Sword or Sprit Tracks) and its in the same vien of being discovered not directly told.  

There's a lot more that's told to you directly than discovered through the world, IMO. 

Story bits you learn through discovery: the Zora panels, the occasional ruin from classic Zelda locations, a few guardian battle graveyards, divine beast sandstorms/rainstorms, the Yiga Clan (whose motivations aren't explained very well), Tarry town?  It's not a whole lot.  I'm not sure I'd count the memories.  Even so, you'll get more plot out of trying to finish the Divine Beast quests.

Majora, Skyward Sword and Wind Waker are the most story driven Zeldas.  I think that's because it was easier to tie into their setting (WW), game loop (MM) and puzzle design (SS).  In BotW, being in the "wild" and away from that stuff is kind of the point.

26 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

As someone who has yet to really play BOTW, is the first DLC pack worth having for your first playthrough?

Nope, I wouldn't say so.  The first pack, at least, sounds like it's more for completionists.

Hard mode could be cool if they build on the enemy AI.  Some enemies are already HP sponges as is though.

56 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Nope, I wouldn't say so.  The first pack, at least, sounds like it's more for completionists.

Hard mode could be cool if they build on the enemy AI.  Some enemies are already HP sponges as is though.

Thanks. I'll use the money on Wonder Boy instead. 

5 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Thanks. I'll use the money on Wonder Boy instead. 

You'll end up getting it.  Know why?  You can't buy the expansion packs separately, and the second one has a new campaign and a new dungeon.  

On 5/4/2017 at 0:06 PM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

As someone who has yet to really play BOTW, is the first DLC pack worth having for your first playthrough?

its not even out yet.

The more I play the game, I'm not sure whether it's a great game or not.  Gameplay wise, it's good.  So far the Divine Beasts have been far too easy and I do wish they'd been fleshed out a lot more (but that's what I'm hoping from the DLC). 

It is addictive though and I can play it for either 20 minutes to get a Shrine or two, or for 4 hours and do something a bit more in-depth.

Just finished. 

All 120 Shrines

145 Korok seeds

All 18 memories 

88 defense (Diamond Circlet, Champions Tunic, Trousers of the Wild) 

95 hours. 

I just picked this up again and will try to wrap up all shrines and get most of the armor upgrades. This game is so easy to get lost in. 

On 5/21/2017 at 3:20 PM, Emblazon said:

Just finished. 

All 120 Shrines

145 Korok seeds

All 18 memories 

88 defense (Diamond Circlet, Champions Tunic, Trousers of the Wild) 

95 hours. 

Fuck, I have "Over 240". But i've been upgrading EVERY armor, just doing and getting everything I can.. I had 120 shrines two weeks in. I had my vacation at the at that time (Leftover Vacation from last year I had to use or lose), all I did was play Zelda and work on new business stuff.

But now that my mom took over accounting full time, all I do is sign checks and drive by once in a while to look at things. My dad and uncles are running the show when it comes to the work, and I hired students to pile hardwood and deliver lumber and chords of hardwood. Everyone is being paid very well. and i'm already way ahead in profit (which I don't need to touch because of my real job), so I can put it into the profit back in into the company, and in months a new company if I can get a an operations license. Growing pot as soon as it's legalized. I have a lawyer looking into it now, because if I can get that license I won't be able to build greenhouses quick enough. 

15 hours ago, Emblazon said:

@apoc81

Be sure to grow some Purple Urkle... :sun:

one step at a time, I need a license first. Waiting for Canada to stop fucking around. 

So let's talk about the great fairy, is it just me or does she rape Link?

first upgrade you get a kiss blown, then you get a hug and kiss... last upgrade she grabs you and pulls you under flash cutting to you trying not to gag while she looks extremely satisfied.

59 minutes ago, misfit410 said:

So let's talk about the great fairy, is it just me or does she rape Link?

first upgrade you get a kiss blown, then you get a hug and kiss... last upgrade she grabs you and pulls you under flash cutting to you trying not to gag while she looks extremely satisfied.

That is pretty much exactly what happens.

Just beat the game. 

I really enjoyed the game, exploring its world and hunting out shrines. If only the game had a few classic dungeons to explore and decent bosses to fight, it would have been perfect. The divine beasts were close, but rather shallow and simple. The final boss was also a little dull and easy, but whatever. 

Spoiler

I really can't complain, my first post in this thread said I wanted to fight a giant spider, so I guess Spider Ganon fits the bill. 

If this is what Zelda games look like going forward, I'll play them, definitely. But if they went to something like the world of breath of the wild mixed with the dungeons and bosses of ocarina or LttP, that would be great. This felt like a huge and wonderful world to explore (I can't remember the last game that made me say "I wonder what's over there" so often), but I wish there could have been more compelling things to do in it. 

I completely stopped playing this due to my brother's illness. I was 20 hours in I believe. Now I'm in the middle of two PS4 games that I will defenitley beat then I plan on coming back to it.

My question is...now that the dust has settled, is this truly a 10 outta 10 game the reviews claim it to be?  I didn't love the game when I was initially playing but that could have been because of what was going on in my life at the time. I just like to read opinions on the game now after a bunch of you guys beat it etc.

I completely stopped playing this due to my brother's illness. I was 20 hours in I believe. Now I'm in the middle of two PS4 games that I will defenitley beat then I plan on coming back to it.

My question is...now that the dust has settled, is this truly a 10 outta 10 game the reviews claim it to be?  I didn't love the game when I was initially playing but that could have been because of what was going on in my life at the time. I just like to read opinions on the game now after a bunch of you guys beat it etc.

For me, it's a 10/10 game that could be an 11/10 game with a few tweaks, but nothing that really changes the core of the game. Increase the enemy types and include a few larger dungeons. Done. As it stands, it's already bound to be a classic bound for many all time best lists. It just has the chance to be GOAT with only few changes. I'm very much looking forward to the next game in the series...or maybe just the DLC at the end of the year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

8.5/10 personally. Maybe a low 9

The first few hours of the game are great. Wandering around, doing shrines, finding newer/better weapons. I think it was around 8 hours that I started getting bored. Killing camps of enemies nets little to no reward, they honestly become more of a nuisance as you waste your durability fighting pretty much anything in the overworld.

Exploration was extremely fun, while I had something to look for. Once I had enough hearts for the Master Sword and had enough stamina I didn't really get the urge to explore as much as I previously did. I did enjoy how you kind of have these overworld mini bosses though. They were really fun to run into.

Armor was a huge plus, I definitely liked the abilities certain sets of armor gave and found almost all of them useful at some point.

Weapons I'm torn on. I pretty much avoided any battle in the overworld once I had a decent set of weapons because of durability. Had no idea when I was going to stumble upon another good weapon and that kind of irked me. I actually had a lot of fun with the combat and wished I would have slayed more. Given that I went back to the game I probably would just battle more, I always ended up finding good weapons, but just that loom over my head that I might not for awhile kept me from battling. I wish there was a repair ability, better the weapon the more costly it would be.

Shrines are great, some of the puzzles are pretty unique, others are extremely easy, but its a nice addition to the game.

Dungeons are short, but I kind of liked it that way. The boss battles were exhilarating, I just wish there was more of them. 4 dungeons is just way to small for any Zelda game.

The final battle is disappointing to be honest. Shamefully easy, especially when you have beaten the 4 dungeons. I get more of a rush with Lynels than I did in this battle.

Not really a huge negative, but from the trailers I was guessing that this Zelda would be a more personal one, that you would get to spend more time with Zelda or the 4 guardians. Instead its just finding photographs and all of it is completely overlookable. However Zelda stories always follow the same formula with slight tweaks, so I wasn't expecting a lot, which is why it really isn't a huge negative.

Still finishing up the last few Shrines before fighting Ganon.  But from how far I've got, it's not a 10/10:

- The shrine puzzles are pretty underwhelming.  Maybe a dozen of the 113 I've finished were particularly interesting.
- One of the Divine Beast quests is half-baked. (the lead-in to the dungeon)
- The bosses suck again.

- Story bits all feel like window dressing.
- Combat is too defensive against harder foes, because Flury Attack is OP.
- You need to collect hundreds of 'hidden' items to properly expand your inventory.

- Some regions of the map seem underdeveloped.  As in, something more important was supposed to go there.  A big negative when you consider you could jump off the plateau in those directions.

I think everything else the game does is stellar, in terms of what it was going for.  It's still a fantastic game.  A sequel could be even better.

Yup, still one of the best games I have ever played.  I fired it up on my Wii U (after beating it on the Switch) this weekend because I moved the Wii U out of my bedroom and into our upstairs living room.  We are having family stay over (with children) and I wanted that living room to have a game console, in case the kids wanted to play some stuff.

Back to Zelda.  So I was once again hooked to game.  It might be the hardest game to sit down and stick to a plan with.  I thought, I'll clear a few shrines then turn it off.  3 hours later, I did one shrine and mostly did random shit.  I didn't mean to revisit the game until both DLC's were released though.

I've only played for about 7 hours (discovered 4 provinces, completed 20 shrines, got the Climbing and Zora armor sets, beat Ruta and a smattering of side quests) and my fucking word is this game is amazing in many respects. However, as great as this game is, there are a few niggles that I think really detract from the experience:

Virtually all of the items that you know and love from past Zelda games are gone. Hookshot, Iron Boots, Bracelets, Bombchus, etc. I understand why they're gone, it just sucks that they're gone.

The durability mechanic is a little too extreme imo. Ultimately, enemy difficulty is dealing with smart AI and more about managing durability while abusing patterns to perform flurry or drop attacks. So far, the hardest enemies I've fought aren't difficult because of their AI, they're difficult because 80% of my inventory breaks by the time do enough damage to kill them (Lynels, Guardian III, IV, V, etc)

Switching Weapons/Runes on the fly is cumbersome as fuck. I would have rather had the option to hold the Rune button and select runes via radial, same with weapons/shields/bows.

You just need to stick with the game.  You start to get better, more durable weapons as you progress.

Pro Tip, get one more heart after the opening area (5 total), fill out your stamina bar, so you have two complete stamina circles.  Then respec at the second village once you're able to have 13 hearts, get the thing, re-respec to get your stamina back, then start getting hearts.

In my opinion, stamina>hearts for the first 20 hours.  Also, getting the bird ability is game breaking for the rest of the games dungeons, lol.

54 minutes ago, AndrewDean84 said:

Also, getting the bird ability is game breaking for the rest of the games dungeons, lol.

Yup, so glad that was my 3rd guardian..

huge crutch..